cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toy train collector

I have collected toy trains for 40 plus years.  It was always fun buying, selling, trading and just talking with other collectors.  I've just gone through 50 plus pages of Lionel trains.  Pricing has gone wild, and it has gone totally out of control.  It totally takes away from what was supposed to be a fun thing to do and a way for people to meet and talk.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Toy train collector

Sorry to hear katie, the collectoring world let alone this world in general has gone to a level of selfishness  that is quite staggering.... everything comes full circle, just remember that...you still hold true to values, they choose not to. Don't let this ridiculousness take away your love for that which you love to collect and sell.

All the best of regards....

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@975katie,

"I've just gone through 50 plus pages of Lionel trains. Pricing has gone wild...".

There could be some good reasons for the "asking" prices being so high, but if you give us more details about what you were searching for, Pre or Post war items, Modern era including the MPC, and Kuhn eras of ownership, and the current China era items.  It might help us.   It might also help if you give us an idea of more specific items you are searching for and from what era.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@975katie   You should be happy prices have not only maintained a certain value level but have increased.  I sell many trains in all gauges and I see a lot of collections come out via Auction sites as collectors downsize because they are moving further into retirement.  I also put together train auctions for a local auction house.

If you want to meet and talk with other Train collectors consider joining TCS (Train Collectors Association)  ... they have divisions all across the country and this weekend there were a number of gatherings across the country, see the pic below.

Screenshot (4169).png

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Lots of pricing comes from people not knowing the market and having a perceived idea of value of grandpa's train or what ever they are selling. They price it thinking/hoping that they can sell it for their unrealistic price. I see this also in antique car parts, common parts that would sell for say $20, are price at 3-4 times that amount. The thinking is, that because it is old it must be very valuable. The saying goes, just because it is old/rare doesn't mean it's valuable if there is no market for it. I myself watch American Flyer (with the search parameters I have setup, currently 21,000 items), Ford Model T and Dodge Brothers parts. Listing prices for those 3 can be all over the place for the same item. The first 2, on any given day are not lacking in how many listings there are to pick from. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@redmodelt   And some car parts are valuable because they are rare BUT on the flip side is how many cars from those old ereas are even out there and need the part???  My first car was a '66 Mustang 200 cubic inch straight six ... loved that car, restored it in my senior year of high school with my dad ... who already had 2 Mustangs of his own LOL!  Anyway, on eBay I sold one of those lighted front grill Mustang emblems for around $ 230.00 to a guy in Switzerland of all places ... he put it on his Mustang and sent me pics ... some might think WOW, if I had a bunch of those I could make some real money ... well, that all depends on how many antique Mustang owners are looking for that particular item.

In the end value is really based on who wants the item ... I've had a few of those homeruns here on eBay over the years where something bids up WAY over what they have historically sold for ... it only takes 2 people who want the same item AT THE SAME TIME and things can go really well.  

The train market is shrinking from a collector's standpoint ... as collectors age out their collections come up for sale ... I see it all the time.  I have a pretty good feel for my customer base, I sell to both collectors and users and then some are both.  They like to collect but also like to run their trains on a regular basis.   I get a lot of customers who let me know they or their dad or their grandfather had such and such a car or engine when they were younger or they are putting something together for their son or grandson.  

Regards,
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Hi, I apologize.  I only just got back on the site to read replies.  I am a Registered Nurse.  I work with a group that tries to correct issues at Nursing Hones, to keep them out of trouble.  Sometimes, it feels like a 24/7 job.  I could have retired two years back, but with what COVID did to the Health field, I couldn't leave.  I worry too much about people.  My name is Jim, by the way.  Does this group have anything in upstate New York.  I would be very interested if they do.  Thanks for the response.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Hey, I apologize for the delay in getting back on the site to read responses.  I'm a Registered Nurse by trade, have been for 33+ years.  I also have 2 classic cars, both of which are registered and on the road.  They get put to bed for the winter though.  I have a 62 Thunderbird and a 64 Thunderbird.  Just a few toys.  I get pretty much all the parts I need on Ebay.  Most of the time, I've found the pricing to be pretty fair.  Occasionally, someone thinks they are going to make a lot of money.  I avoid them..  My name is Jim, by the way.  Thank you for your response.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@975katie wrote:

Hi, I apologize.  I only just got back on the site to read replies.  I am a Registered Nurse.  I work with a group that tries to correct issues at Nursing Hones, to keep them out of trouble.  Sometimes, it feels like a 24/7 job.  I could have retired two years back, but with what COVID did to the Health field, I couldn't leave.  I worry too much about people.  My name is Jim, by the way.  Does this group have anything in upstate New York.  I would be very interested if they do.  Thanks for the response.

@975katie   You HAVE been busy LOL!  I am surprised that after all that time (several months) you were actually able to find this thread.  The "Groups" on eBay are typically folks from across the country opposed to one local area.

Regards,
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@975katie,

I just finished writing a lengthy reply to your post on the Buying Board.  There are lots of people selling older Model Trains that have no idea of their value these days.  Some use older collectors guide prices, Some do an Advanced search of sold listings looking for the highest price a piece they have has sold for without comparing condition.  Others price items high just because they are "Old" without knowing any more about the pieces.  Some are totally misguided by Lionel's Built dates, not realizing a piece with a 9-47 date may have been produced for 25 years or more on and off. 

As far as finding people to connect with, there used to be a Model Train Group under the eBay Groups header > Special Interest Groups, but it was removed due to lack of activity a few years ago.  If you look at the available groups most have (0) posts to them.  Trying to connect with people selling things in various categories is more or less discouraged by ebay these days, since they worry about people selling things off the site.  This is not the ebay it was when you first joined.  All I can suggest would be to look up Model Train Collector sites/blogs online.   You might also be able to connect with local collectors by attending weekend model train shows in your area, depending on how much time you have in your schedule.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 10
latest reply