cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need rag doll iD, please.

Hello. Can anyone tell me whether this is a Dean’s Rag Book doll? Thank you in advance.

C871E6E2-1C90-41AF-9727-FE83633D8C70.jpeg

26C5DA23-C98E-4D4D-BAA9-9F932CA6F2B5.jpeg

She is completely made of stuffed oilcloth and there are no tags or identifiers. I know she’s seen better days but I got her very very inexpensively. I am deodorizing her in baking soda and lavender right now. I plan to make an outfit for her similar to the original one but removable.  The idea is to cover all the oil cloth except for the face in order to preserve her.

"Love All.....Trust Few.....Do Wrong To None! Wm. Shakespeare
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Need rag doll iD, please.

@me_merc60,

I'm not a doll collector per se, but even so, I'm not sure the doll qualifies as a "Rag Doll".  Rag Dolls were traditionally made at home, out of spare cloth material and yarn. Traditionally they did not have plastic, ceramic, or painted on faces features such as eyes, mouths etc. The clothing on rag dolls was traditionally a part of the doll's body itself.

When mass production of rag dolls started in the mid 1800s some may have had painted on faces and detachable clothing.  Judging from the machine type stitching and painted face on your doll,  I would say it was a mass produced one probably from the first third of the 20th century. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

No, it's not. Dean's Rag Book dolls always have cloth bodies. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply