cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help regarding Fox 40RC airplane engine

Ok, I tried to click on the correct category but it seems this is not working correctly. I need help. I have this model airplane engine motor & I am clueless when it comes to this item. It is not something I know much about. I have a old Fox 40RC motor in box. Has other parts & not sure if any of it goes together or if it even goes with box. Anyone that knows about this item or stuff like it, can you please help me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. THanks in advance.this is what came in boxthis is what came in box

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@1deal.doctor,

Fox 40 RC motors were a reliable medium size motor that could be used with Radio Controls, Thus the RC designation, model airplanes. The company has been around since the 1940s.  I'm guessing based on its configuration that the engine was probably made in the mid 70s. There may be a date on the instruction page shown in you photo. 

The big part outside of the box is a muffler that looks like an after market one that slips on over the exhaust port opening on the side of the engine that is facing down in the box, but is shown in the picture on the box, and is held in place with the strap.  I can't say for sure without seeing what is wrapped in plastic, but I would be willing to bet those are mounting screws. Without a photo that shows what is attached to the screw going through the mounting plate, I can't say for sure, but that is probably a support of some kind that was needed to keep the engine in place on a model. There may be another one wrapped up in the plastic.

You can't really test one of those motors, without a power source to heat up the glow (spark) plug, and fuel. Since you probably do not have those things available, You should probably take it to a hobby shop that sells radio control models. One of the clerks can either bench test it with fuel, or hand turn it to make sure the engine isn't frozen up. They would probably attach a prop to it to be able to hand turn it. If it can be turned then the engine will probably run. 

To list the motor once you have more info, start with the Toys and Hobbies category, then from the sub menu > Radio control and control line > Engine, exhaust and fuel system.  They sell for between $10 -$30 depending on condition. I would list it as an Auction with a $10 starting price. Depending on how a clerk may test the motor running on a bench, or hand turning it, state that in the Description.  Ex: The motor does turn when tested by hand but may need cleaning and tuning.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@mudshark61369 , thank you so much for the lengthy message explaining all of the background. I truly appreciate your help. My husband got a few different motors which the others sold, but this one I had a very hard time finding anything on it. I normally sell OEM auto parts and model train cars, accessories, buildings, etc. That stuff I am pretty knowledgeable in and still learning. There is so much out there. 

But the airplane motors, yea not one of my things. Thank you again for your help. It is very much appreciated. Take care & Happy Holidays!!

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

The best advice I can add @1deal.doctor is to do a thorough review of USPS Hazmat rules, along with eBay Hazmat policy. If that engine had fuel in it at any point, it's assumed there is trace residue and you will need to follow USPS packaging and labeling guidelines, along with eBay listing guidelines.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/hazardous-restricted-regulated-materi...

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/preparing-your-shipment/know-what-qualifies-as-hazmat

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/welcome.htm

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@mudshark61369  

If I take more photos of what is in the box & show more of the details, would you be able to tell me if all of these parts should be in this box or go with this motor? I will post more photos on this thread later on tonight when I have time. Again thanks!!

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@1deal.doctor,

ALL I can do is to try and identify the parts for you. Many modelers adapt engines or their mounts for their particular model, but if you photograph them I'll do my best to tell you what they are. Most likely they are additional mounting parts that have nothing to do with the operation of the engine.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@wastingtime101,

There is no need for going through the hazmat policies for shipping model engines like this one. I've sold many of my older "gas" powered model engines and shipped them normally.  I sold 2 last summer that I had replaced with electric engines and shipped them without any special labeling or handling and they were delivered.

The fuel used by them is not "gasoline" but is a different blend that evaporates very quickly, and becomes non combustible.  Modelers tend to only use enough fuel for one flight, and after flying, if the plane will be put up for awhile, the engine will be turned over until it will not even try to start, to prevent any residue from drying on the flow needle and blocking the intake. We drain the fuel tanks as well. The carbs on the motors do not have a reservoir like an automotive one, and only a few engines were produced with an attached fuel tank. This is not one of them.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Thanks @mudshark61369 . USPS has really been cracking down on hazmat lately, so I've been veering towards caution with informing sellers. 😁 Lots of listing takedowns recently for stuff that's eligible to be shipped, but sellers are not including info in item description per eBay's hazmat policy.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@wastingtime101,

While you are trying to be helpful to sellers by posting the Hazmat info, you may want to check to see if items like they have sold or want to sell are included in ebay's hazmat policies. Why cause a seller anxiety over something that may not happen.  Check completed listings for the items a seller has mentioned, to see if they have sold recently. There have been hundreds of the Used small gas powered model engines sold recently. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Whether or not it has sold is irrelevant @mudshark61369 .

I can sell a used laptop, and that requires hazmat markings on the package, and requires disclosure in the listing description that the package will comply with USPS hazmat packaging requirements.

GLORIOUS!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply