cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent Item Listings From Chinese Sellers

Has anyone else experienced the following scenario?  On two occasions I've viewed items listed by two different Chinese sellers and purchased them, based upon the item photos and item descriptions they provided.  Much to my chagrin, I didn't receive the items I thought I'd purchased.  The sellers used photos of the actual product boxes, in these two instances from Verlinden Products, in their listings.  The boxes should have contained scale models of a European building and a bridge, crisply cast in resin, suitable for inclusion in a military diorama.  However, the original product boxes were not included in my shipments.  The resin pieces arrived in sealable, plastic freezer bags.  Red flag one.  Red flag two.  Having purchased scale model items from Verlinden Products on numerous occasions, over several decades, I quickly realized these items weren't even remotely close to Verlinden's quality standards.   The resin pieces were just horribly cast with rather large bubbles and pinholes in some of the items.  Front and side elements of the house and bridge weren't even square, with very wavy structure pieces, ill-defined bricks or stone blocks and non-distinct mortar lines.  Pieces that were supposed to join together had unacceptable gaps, making them unsuitable for display.  It appears to me the seller, or the seller's supplier, is playing the bait-and-switch game.  They're taking photos of original Verlinden product boxes.  Then their next step is taking the Verlinden first-run resin product castings, creating molds from them and then crudely recasting them in inferior grade resin and selling them as originals.  So now I've had two experiences of this type, from two different seller names.  It seems this is becoming another Chinese cottage industry.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Are you filing INADs to get your money back.

I quit buying from sellers in China years ago, to many knockoffs being sold here.

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Are you not utilizing the MBG and opening item not as described cases when this happens?

You need to be aware of the fact that, since your seller is in China, he will be unable to send you a prepaid return label and will instead need to reimburse you in advance if he wants these items returned.  If that does not happen, you need to notify eBay and eBay will refund you in total, allow you to keep the item and withdraw the money from the seller's funds.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@bryanbeers,

Maybe you are not aware that Verlinden Products was sold to Lots of Models several years ago and they shifted production to China.  That is when the quality started falling, and in 2018 Lots of Models had all of their master molds and production items seized by the IRS, and sold.  The line was bought by Greg Cooper of the Scale Model Graveyard, in April 2022, and production is slowly resuming as they sort through the mass of items that were in 3 large shipping containers. 

The sellers you bought from probably acquired the products made for Lots Of Models, that were abandoned in China when LOM was suddenly closed down.  There had been many complaints of poor molding and lots of holes in the resins being produced in China for LOM.  One of the tell tales for the China made products was the pale yellow color resin, rather than the pale green color of the pre China, Verlinden production models.  The box art quality  under LOM also suffered and they ceased naming the sculpture artists for the molds.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 4
latest reply