cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I handle a buyer who is saying the item I sold did not arrive in the described condition?

Hello there,

I recently sold an item (https://www.ebay.com/itm/335064662399?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=...) to a buyer via BIN. In my description of this action figure on a card, I clearly stated the plastic bubble packaging had started to pull away from the cardboard, and described it as "partly opened" and "partially sealed." Most of the bubble was well attached to the card, but was beginning to pull away on one side. I also took a very clear photo of the issue. I don't like disputes, and have nothing to hide, so was careful about this. I haven't been a seller for long, but have all positive ratings, and would like to keep it that way. My listing says I don't take returns.

The transaction seemed to go alright. He (I'm guessing) didn't pay on the day of the sale, but did the following day. I sent the item that same day, well packaged in a separate box. That was Oct. 20th and it was delivered Oct. 25.

Today, a week later, he writes to say the entire blister bubble falls off, and wants to know what my return policy is because the item is not as I described it. He says he has a "hard time believing" that it fell off during shipping and wasn't that way originally (basically insinuating that I misled him). I did not mis lead him, and the item went into the shipping box exactly as described, in the condition I described and photographed. 

What would you do? How do I handle this? I suppose that during shipping, it is possible that the plastic somehow completely came away from the cardboard--though, honestly, I find THAT hard to believe, since it was mostly well attached when I sent it. I don't want to get into a massive dispute for a $55.00 sale--it's not worth it. But I'm also looking for some advice for the future, in case something like this happens again. Should I write him back and tell him that I don't believe him, and I don't appreciate his intimating I'm dishonest? Do I just keep my mouth shut and offer a return? Do I have to pay for that? That too doesn't seem fair to a seller, because I would be out the cost of the return postage and then have an item that is (if his description is accurate) in worse condition than when I sold it.

I'll take whatever course seems best, but did I make a mistake somewhere along the line? Is this a common occurrence? It's frustrating because I went out of my way to be clear, and of course I don't like someone intimating I am dishonest. I appreciate your advice! Thank you!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: How do I handle a buyer who is saying the item I sold did not arrive in the described condition?

How you handle it is like this:

When the buyer opens a return and uses a reason of 'not as described'.... there is NOTHING you can do but either accept the return and refund in full upon arrival, or simply refund in full without it being 'returned'

Ebay has a 30 day money back guarantee so 'no returns' simply means you don't have to honor a 'remorse' reason for return, but you cannot NOT accept a 'not as described' return.

What condition the item is in is only heresay, so it is whatever the buyer says it is. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Re: How do I handle a buyer who is saying the item I sold did not arrive in the described condition?

@nicethings321,

About the only way that gives the best chance of a carded item with a partially detached bubble to arrive in the same condition as it was shipped is to create an insert that will not allow the bubble to be touched by any packing material at all. Even then very poor handling by a carrier can cause the enclosed item to knock the bubble loose if there is any room for it to be shifted. 35 year old adhesive may not survive that.

You have two choices you can offer the buyer,

A)  Tell them to file an item not as described dispute,  then respond to it by sending them a return shipping label and issue a full refund within 2 days of you receiving the item.  You tell them the reason for opening the dispute is so they get a refund of the sales tax they paid, as well as the item and shipping costs.

If you do that  you will not receive a defect on your account, and if the refund is issued before they leave a feedback, they will not be able to give you a negative feedback, so send that reply asap. 

B)  You can offer them a partial refund or ask what they would consider to be a fair price to keep the figure, without having to return it. If their price is too low for you tell them to use option (A)

If you choose option "A" and receive the item back without the weapon, you can report the buyer for abusing the Money Back Guarantee protections, by not returning every thing that was sent.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

If "My listing says I don't take returns", then you've not read enough about the eBay Money Back Guarantee for buyers.  If/when a buyer opens an item not as described case, you, the seller need to respond to that case promptly by sending a prepaid return shipping label and to refund in full when you receive the returned item back.

If you don't proceed that way, then eBay can, and probably will, refund the buyer from your funds and allow the buyer to keep the item.  

In other words, you are free to say that you don't take returns, but that doesn't matter in the face of the MBG.  

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

You have two three decent options:

1) apologize for the issue, express surprise that it happened, and tell buyer to file for a return

2) apologize for the issue, express surprise that it happened, and offer a partial refund

3) apologize for the issue, express surprise that it happened, and hope that the buyer forgets about the issue and/or is too lazy to file for a return

The horrible option you can take is to get defensive and call the buyer a liar.  

Regardless, if/when the buyer files an INAD/return, just accept the return and refund after item is received.  

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Thank you. I appreciate the straightforward answer. I guess returns are something that happen--hopefully, not often though.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Thank you for the thorough reply, and the help with sending items on cards like this one. (Thankfully, I don't have a lot of these type things--just a few more that my sister in law asked me to sell for her). I thought I had packed it carefully, but will be even more careful in the future.

I also appreciate your suggestion about issuing my refund right away, once it has been received. Why would a "buyer" even be allowed to leave feedback if they ultimately don't go through with the transaction?

And for everyone: I pretty much bit my tongue & did offer a return. And at present am waiting for them to put it in the mail. Thanks.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Thanks. Yes, I'm getting that message(!) I offered a return, OK'd the postage via eBay, and am waiting for them to put it in the mail.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

This is a good description of the options: thanks. It's a learning curve, I guess. This is my first request for a return, so I was kind of upset at first. FYI, I already followed through with option #1 above.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

"And for everyone: I pretty much bit my tongue & did offer a return. And at present am waiting for them to put it in the mail. Thanks."

Smart seller. Good work.

Posting ID
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

There is no such thing as "No Returns" on eBay. If they claim it's not as described, then you have to send them a pre paid return shipping label or make another step towards resolution like offering a full or partial refund. If you do nothing, you will get dinged by eBay. 

Getting in touch with you one week after delivery in a not as described case as obvious as what they claimed it to be is suspicious to say the least. I'd report the buyer for misusing the returns system, making false claims, and consider deducting a small part of their refund for returning your item in condition it wasn't sent in. 

-AP

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

". . . and did offer a return".  Not sure you exactly get it.  If/when a buyer opens an item not as described case, your options are pretty limited as others have detailed.  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Not everyone checks out received packages immediately after they are received.

Since the buyer has 30 days to open a case, not sure why opening after a week would be a case of misusing the returns system.  

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@nicethings321,

Since you have already sent a return shipping label, keep checking the tracking number it should have. If the buyer hasn't taken it to the P.O. or there is no acceptance scan, within 5 working days Mon-Fri. of you sending it, you can ask ebay to step in, and they will close the dispute in your favor. 

You replied to my first post;

"I also appreciate your suggestion about issuing my refund right away, once it has been received. Why would a "buyer" even be allowed to leave feedback if they ultimately don't go through with the transaction"?

They did go through with the transaction, they paid, you shipped, but they were not happy with the item when they received it. They can leave a negative feedback anytime up until the refund is authorized. After that they could leave a neutral or a positive, if they are happy with how fast you responded.   You could check their feedback profile page and open the feedback they have left other sellers to see what they may  have done in the past.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 14 of 14
latest reply