cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotwheels inside Johnny Lightning packaging? Need help identifying.

Hi! Recently I've come across a Hot Wheels car that appears to be factory sealed inside Johnny Lightning Packaging. I'm no expert on Hot Wheels but I assume this is desirable? Have you ever seen similar errors? Any info or input would be appreciated.

20220318_222505.jpg20220318_222603.jpg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

It's worthless.  Some lowlife stole the original car and replaced it with a hot wheels. I collect diecast and I know. Mattel and Johnny Lightning are 2 totally different companies.    You can easily open a bubble with a certain chemical that I am not going to name here for obvious reason.  Then you switch out the car and you can reseal it with a glue that I am NOT going to name.  In 2 days, the glue will be clear and nearly invisible. You can also seal with the bubble with some heat if it was not properly sealed to begin with.

You have a car that is worth whatever that blue car is worth.  

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

There are several Facebook diecast groups that you can go  to and they will confirm what I have told you. One is the Johnny Lightning page on Facebook.  The other one, well frankly , there are at least 5  Hot Wheels pages.  Post over there and every single person will agree with me.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@rock_it_again,

Did you really think, that Mattel would allow any of their Hot Wheels Nascar team cars/trucks, or any vehicle containing the use of the brand, to be produced by Round2 the new owner of the Johnny Lighting brand?

If that were a true J.L. Monopoly 85th anniversary brand truck, there would be a miniature "led" one, in the empty space in the upper right of the plastic plinth.  Look up the other ones online.

I do have to say that someone did a heck of a job, repackaging that card and plinth.  Even so, it is worthless but may make an interesting conversation piece in your home.  I would not try selling it online, or you could run into big trouble.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Yes, I do not see the small pewter token but I wasn't sure if Johnny Lightning elmininated that.  Anyway, the item is worthless.  

By the way, separating the bubble from the cardboard is super easy.  There is a household item available virtually everywhere.  A few drops and the bubble will separate leaving the cardboard intact.   The trick is to not remove it completely and get the correct glue so that it will dry clearly w/o it oozing on the inside of the card. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

I'm not planning on selling this online. It's likely a resealed package.

Thing is...

The seal is TIGHT. Not super-glued. No warping on the card from chemicals. The print behind the card matches up with the bubble like anything else from the factory. It's the only reason I gave it a chance.

Obviously, Johnny Lightning or Hot Wheels would have never let this pass... unless their quality control people walked out that day...

I've worked with temp. employees in factories and I've watched them do stuff like this countless times. They're only at the job for half a day and don't know or care what they're job is even suspected to be.  Some will even deliberately sabotage stuff out of spite. QC has been a nightmare for everyone for the last few years... even the US Mint.

Anyhow, I'm sure I'll show it to a collector in person and they'll tell me it's a total fake and completely worthless...

And they can only give me $50 for it...

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

The problem with your theory of lack of quality control is that the car and packaging were produced in completely different factories. I don't know about the maker of the Johnny Lightning cars, but Mattel has their own factories. Nothing but Mattel merchandise is made in them.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

It's possible too that an employee at the JL plant had this car in their pocket and switched out the correct  card and token and replaced it with the blue HW truck.  Also cardboards can be reproduced.  Go to Ebay now and look at some of the CUSTOM Hot wheels out there. Someone can will repaint the car and then make a cardboard to match the car.  There are cars out there with the former president's face and the card matches too.  Both were customized. So that seller has the ability to print up a cardboard, paint a car and also seal the car inside the bubble and it looks like from the factory but it's NOT from Mattel.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply