cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Seller Needing Advice

Hey everybody! I have been selling for a couple of months now and at first it was slow, then it picked up a bit, now I am hard pressed to sell anything.  I have tweaked my listings and titles to try to get more visibility.  Just looking for some helpful advice. Please no heckling or abusive comments. Constructive critisism is welcome. Have a great day everybody and thank you in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: New Seller Needing Advice

Hello,

As you are a new seller, you have to mark your presence :

Make accounts on social sites, like Facebook, Twitter, Pintereste and start posting there.

On Facebook, We have ebay groups as well where you can post your listings.

Secondly create your own page as well.

Create 'About me' page. It is very important as google searches it first and use maximum keywords and links to it.

the more people will know about you the more you sell.

I have seen your listings as well :

Place images in description  as well.

List items on 7 day Auction. Make listing such that daily your items end and new list so that they always come in searches.

Do revert for further.

Regards,

mettlle

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Hi,  I am fairly new too.  I figured out that if you want to show up better in the Cassini results you need to do a few things.

#1 Free Shipping ( yes everyone with a brain knows that a $5 widget with $5 shipping is the same price as a $10 widget with "free Shipping but Cassini doesn't) You also get an automatic 5 star DSR in shipping

#2 One day handling, print your labels at home and get those packages out in the mail asap.With tracking always.  ( check out zone rate boxes on USPS.com don't use flat rate boxes, or use free brown boxes from stores) 

#3 Something that I saw on an early Cassini report that I don't know if it's true but it makes sense to just go by the golden rule " if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it all"  ( cassini is a bit like a big brother and it watches when you're naughty or nice, just like a big brother it may sometimes be wrong but you'll never win the argument) 

I have already been practicing #3 even before I was a seller because I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. 

Also on your page where you can see what's selling there is a little box that probably has a message from e-bay about I can improve the visibility of these listings by doing whatever the messages say.  I think that didn't appear until downloaded the free listings analytical program from the sellers dashboard section.

E-bay just "awarded" me power seller status yesterday so I guess I am doing something right.  Also as soon as I started doing Free Shipping and 1 day handling I started getting sales again. Not a lot but I don't have too many things listed either. Which brings to mind:

Rule  #4  Don't list more than you can actually sell, I think this is silly because if you don't list it then it won't sell.   Cassini will downgrade your listing in the results if you have two many click through without purchases.  I think they are doing this to discourage the people that clog up the site with ads for stores that never have sales on e-bay.   

There is a lot more in the Cassini search algorithm than the things I mentioned but I think they are the main ones that are the easiest to address. 

Good luck! 

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I agree on #3 but not for the same reasons.

If you spend time in your listing grumping about the postal service, eBay fees, non-paying bidders, "not serious" people,refusing to ship to PO boxes or Puerto Rico, and my personal favourite, refusing to ship to APO addresses, your customer will often decide that you are too grumpy to bother with and move on to the next guy.

If you spend item fussing about feedback or reasons why you can't ship same day or same week, or muttering about unfair feedback, your customer will hit the back button

If you put in any personal information about your dog, your grandmother, your cancer treatment, or the recent flooding in your area, or for that matter the recent flooding in your grandmother' s dog's cancer clinic, your customer will decide you are a liar and run for the hills.

If you say you don't know much about the item you are selling, your customer will either think you are lying to cover up fatal flaws or give a bottom feeding bid on the basis that you are a sucker and too lazy to do research.

You description should describe the item you are selling. Your pictures should show the item you are selling. (It is okay to use a stock picture of the used item you are selling IF you show the actual item first. )

Describe as if you have no pictures and picture as if you have no words.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Your sterling silver items should include either 935 or 800 in the title depending on the purity of the metal.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

You might try adding a best offer option although when you do that just be aware that people will make crazy low offers but you can set up the listings to automatically decline or accept offers at whatever amounts you want.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hi.

I am a new seller too. I started on the 10 of Oktober but still I haven't sold anything altough I have some very nice items for sale. 

I am wondering if there is a special group for sellers, f.e. used to helping each other to sell their first items?  And systematically make new seller followers on each sellers page?

What I mean is: staying together to rase the awailability and shorting the time for the first selling.

I invide new sellers to follow my page and vill do the same back 🙂

Message 7 of 7
latest reply