cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eUSC meeting Sep 19-21: “Postmarks and Auxiliary Markings”

*** eBay Users' Stamp Club ***

Please join us for our monthly meeting on Postmarks and Auxiliary Markings

from any time on Friday Sep 19 till midnight PDT on Sunday Sep 21.

Postmarks and Auxiliary Markings

how us your collecting interests as they extend to postmarks, mailers permits, pre-cancels, slogan cancels, meters, return to sender markings, carriers marks, registration marks, manuscript markings, maximaphily and much more.

Are some of them rare?
Were they added afterwards to make the cover more valuable?
Did the cover eventually get to the sender?

A side topic will be Philatelic Forums and Chat options for those who would like to let us know of other worthwhile online places to enjoy our hobby/speciality.

----------------------------

Anne will be passing out pointing hands and "refusé" markings to the first 20 members to get a seat in the balcony.

“Make your own postmarker” workshop area

We will have an area set aside with all the fixings for making postmarks. Roger will preside and assist as necessary.

Once you have made your postmarker, you can use it to enhance all your old covers!

Sheryll and Anne
eUSC 2014 Co-Presidents sheryll*net and abt1950 (Anne in NJ)

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: eUSC meeting Sep 19-21: “Postmarks and Auxiliary Markings”

Sorry Folks but I wont be around in the weekend (your time in the US) but I have a very simple request.

If anyone has a RUNCIMAN postmark from New Zealand I would love to hear from you.

It is not particularly rare or even scarce so the value is only a dollar or two.

My Surname is runciman and it was a distant relative that named the district.  I am trying to put a small exhibit together featuring this Postmark.

The P.O. was opened in 1908 and closed in 1965, my aim is to collect a postmark for every year the P.O. was open.

What would be really nice is to find some Overseas correspondence/covers with a Runciman postmark. 🙂

If anyone can help please let me know and apologies for jumping the gun...............

Cheers,

Roly Runciman.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Hey, Roly, great to see you here. I will keep an eye out.

Notice that I didn't put a timezone in the start time, so you aren't early at all!
I was thinking of posting myself as I'll be away over the weekend, but will be back by Sat midnight US time.

While I'm here, I'll post the link to an Auxiliary Markings refresher course, to get everyone up to speed, and will return at a more civilised time.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Auxiliary markings:

Here are a few links from my website.

2008 letter USA -> Mexico: Pointing hand marking and Dia del Cartero handstamp

2013 Christmas letter: Nixie

Oz family letter: T marking, postage due

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Non Réclamé - Not Claimed 30 July 1926

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

wAnd the meeting is oofficially open!

Topics:  Postal and auxiliarry markings (including those pencil marks that you were tempted to erase when you first started collecting).

What do you look for? How do you incorporate them into your collections?  Do you focus on them or ignore them?  Postmarks, mailers permits, precancels, sl;ogan cancels, return to sender markings, carrier or registration marks, manuscript markings, maximaphily, and anything else that might be out there? 

Our secondary topic deals with Philatelic Chats and Forums. 

Refreshments are being served in the balcony.  We have petit fours with frosting  in the shape of postal markings

The arts and crafts area is fully stocked with rubber stamp blanks and tools to help with the carving.  We also have a stock of vintage postal stampers with which to enhance your coverered.  Our stock of 19th century picture cancellers is especially nice.  Also, we have lots of ink.  And Roger will preside.

So come join us--the Postal Finger is pointing at you (but in a good way!)

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Routing Mark 31 August 1936

VIA SAN FRANCISCO  from William Cooke & Co. Sheffield, GB to William Cooke Co, Auckland, New Zealand.

No receiving date stamp since this was printed matter rate.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Roger, as usual you have some of the most intersting covers.

I'm having some trouble finding some interesting stuff in my collection at the moment, so I'm limited to images I have stored on my computer.  I havent really focused onon axuliarry markss in my collection, although I have stashes of perfins and precancels.  If I had the time and money,  I'd put some effort into making them a real collection.  One of the more interesting things that I can't find right now is a copy of Linn's that was mailed during the 2001 anthrax scare in the US.  It was in a plastic bag with markings that indicated that it had been checked.

Here's an Egyptian perfin cover for the Ottoman Bank.  Egyptian perfins aren't as common as perfins from the US or the (still) United Kingdom or Europe, but there are a few..  The Ottoman Bank and the Credit Lyonnaise are the most common.  This particular cover was censored, so it's giot those markings too.  The perfins are barely visible.

Anne in NJ

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Hi all, I've been away for a while due it ill health.
Hopefully I'm back.
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Jim W-S,

Wonderful to see you!   I hope you are healing well.  Visit us when you can.

jimbo

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

There are some interesting markings being posted on Frajola's Philamercury Message Board today: http://www.philamercury.com/board.php

jimbo

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Today in Postal History

September 20, 1930

Gainesville, Texas, to Brooklyn, New York, United States
84 years ago today.

It turns out that this United States Crash Cover 09/20/30 has some interesting markings and damage. It will fit for the "Postmarks and Auxiliary Markings" meeting.

jimbo

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

19 December 1858 - A rare boxed Refusé mark. This was a collect letter of 16Frs to the owner of the Hotel de l'Union, Bex for a one year subscription. The letter was refused and one can see the handwritten "refusé". The rate was 15 centimes [red stamp] for the letter and 20 centimes for collecting between 10-20Frs. This is the highlight of my Refusé exhibit.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Hi I/O,

Nice to see you back on the board and best wishes!

Roger on the Refuse subject I have this letter that I picked up more for the postage due block than anything else but also sent to a hotel and refused I assume because of insufficient postage etc. Anyone know what the 40 in the square means???

Front-Sa.jpg

Nice returned L.O on the reverse

Back-SA.jpg

Cheers
Peter -British Central Africa - Follow the logo for the Yellow Boxes
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Peter - Refused by hotel probably becasue guest had left with no forwarding address. IN which case management could not accept since they couldn;t put the Due on the guest's bill.

I'm thinking the 40 is a route or clerk's number by whomever recorded the unpaid postage due. In Switzerland if money b=not collected the carrier had to pay the money or return the item to the accounting clerk!

I bought this card recently and think it probably unique for origin and getting a Zurich razor as a receiver.

Blantyre, via Chinde and Zanzibar to Zurich. I find in Wiki:

"Chinde briefly flourished as the port for British Central Africa, which became Nyassaland in 1907. At the end of the 19th century, ocean-going ships of the Union Castle and German East Africa lines were met at Chinde by small river steamers which took passengers and goods up to the head of navigation on the Shire River at Katunga, the closest point on the river to Blantyre, the main town in the British Central Africa Protectorate, a journey of around seven days."

The correspondent was in the process of negotiating for 500 acres of plantation land. He doesn't have malaria yet, but expects it soon!

Message 15 of 22
latest reply