cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is the week of 'toughies',the big Q's

This is the week of 'toughies',the big Q's - Queensland, Quelimane, Quinces, Quirks, and Qatar, too.

To get you started: here's a list of 'Q' cities with populations greater than 100,000, thanks to Wikipedia:

First, how many have you visited?  Second, how many have you even heard of?

Let's do our best to find some appropriate (or even inappropriate) philatelic material for sharing?  Pool Q's, anyone?

jimbo

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Q is for Quaker.  The Quakers didn't use the "traditional" names of months due to their pagan origins, and instead simply used numbers.  Combine a Quaker postmaster with the fact that small-town postmasters frequently made or purchased their own devices, and you get postal markings with Quaker dating.

Colerain, Ohio is one of the more well-known examples and one of the few that had a Quaker-dated handstamp.  This one is dated on Christmas (12 Mo 25) for a little more fun.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Q is for QEII, and Quirky

This page will be shown as part of the WE (Women Exhibitors) frame this weekend at SEAPEX in Seattle, WA (Sep 12-14).

My first draft, once the cover was matted, became this version. I welcome any suggestions for improvement.

Page_A_Royal_Faux_Pas.jpg

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Q is for Qeensland

This registered cover was sent from Gympie, Queensland on August 26, 1892. Fun fact: In 1867, James Nash discovered alluvial gold near Gympie which probably saved Queensland from bankruptcy due to a severe economic depression. Gympie is near the coast about 160km north of Brisbane. Brisbane and Gympie were joined by railroad in 1891, the year before this cover was sent.

The cover is obviously philatelic with most of the available stamps being used. There is an 1887 1p orange (Scott 84), 1890 ½p green (2 shades), 1p orange red, 2p gray blue, 2½p rose carmine, and 4p yellow (Scott 89, 90, 91, and 94a, respectively), and 1892 3p brown (Scott 93). There are 5 faint strikes of a 'REGISTERED | GYMPIE' CDS and a rimless 'GYPMPIE | QUEENSLAND' all dated August 26, 1892. The script number '1599' along with the pencilled cross and the registered cancels completed the registration.

The destination was the Republic of San Marino, the tiny fiefdom in Italy. San Marino is near the Adriatic coast about 60 mile east northeast of Florence. There are no receiving marks on the front and we have no image of the rear.

jimbo

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Q = Quittung

Quittung was a receipt quite often used for publication subscriptions. On delivery of the card by the mailman and his collection of the requested amount, the mailman gave the card to the addressee as a receipt.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Q = Queenstown, Ireland.

Much transatlantic mail came into Queenstown because the train and ferry from Ireland to London was quicker than large ships transiting the English Channel. This routing was chosen as opposed to via Liverpool.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Today in Postal History

September 13, 1966

Mukalla, Qu'aiti, State, to White Plains, New York, USA
48 years ago today.

This registered airmail cover is a departure for me but it fits the date and the week of Q so well, I couldn't resist. It was sold on eBay 5 days ago for a price I thought was quite large. It is from the Qu'aiti State of Hadhramaut  - a state in the British Protectorate of South Arabia until the last Sultan was was evicted by Communists on September 17, 1967. This led eventually to Yemen. These stamps are 'Sand Dune' issues which plagued philately for decades. Although these stamps evidently were used postally, most 'Sand Dune' issues were designed to bilk stamp collectors. They overdid it and now are almost universally viewed as items which taint collections.

The last King, Sultan Ghalib II bin Awadh al Qu'aiti, ruled only from October 10, 1966 to September 17, 1967. He has impressive educational credentials which you can find on the first link. His whole family is well-educated.

The stamps were issued to exploit the 1966 World Cup held in London. All 8 values of the diamond-shaped stamps are present. The stamps were cancelled with a single rim CDS for September 13, 1966. The CDS origination city was Mukalla (plus some Arabic). Mukalla was the capital of the Qu'aiti State. A Mukalla registration stamp has been filled with '719' to complete the registration. Arrival in White Plains was noted by a Registry CDS dated September 23.

jimbo

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I missed the Q's as I was away on business in USA for 2 weeks so a quick contribution from Queen VictoriaSmiley LOL

SG195 socked on her nose literally:-

SG195.jpg

and the "Jubilee" issue:-

jubilee.jpg

and a Quartet of Queens to finish with a railway cancel lined up like an 0-4-0 loco.

040.jpg

Cheers
Peter -British Central Africa - Follow the logo for the Yellow Boxes
Message 8 of 8
latest reply