cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THIS IS A NEW THREAD: WILL MY MESSAGE BE ENDED WITH: your message has been closed to further replies

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: THIS IS A NEW THREAD: WILL MY MESSAGE BE ENDED WITH: your message has been closed to further rep

Re: THIS IS A NEW THREAD: WILL MY MESSAGE BE ENDED WITH: your message has been closed to further rep

Only when this one gets older. They can't all run forever (server space). Thanks for piggy-backin' it.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

The only reason the original thread was stopped is due to the "sensitive" subject matter under discussion. I would bet 100% that if there had not been a couple of new comments about the fakes and forgeries eBay's AI (that's a laugh) woould have let the thread die. But eBay's AI must have used eBay's history going back to the 2000-2005 period when fakes were rampant in the Stamps and other Collectibles categories that eBay had to bring in outside expert services to determine authenticity of questioned items.

Then eBay figured out a way to let sellers list fakes through other methods that did not violate eBay's listing rules, which had nothing to do with the authenticity of an item. Do you ever see "as is" auctions any more? That's about the only improvement eBay has ever made, plus they no longer think 'buyers beware' is a valid online caution. As I remember Tiffanys sued eBay and that was the case that forced eBay to make chnages then. I wonder how long it willl take for the USPS to cause "art" stamps printed in China to disappear?

BTW -ending the thread had nothing at all to do with server space! If that was an issue there would be no space to train AI which use billions and billions of resources to "learn" what was done in the past. AI is no better at predicting the future than a Las Vegas sports betting book.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

The same issues are showing up in ads on FB , ads selling discounted, older stamp booklets  out of print by USPS. How can these sellers have such a large stock of these booklets? Nobody in their right mind would by so many form USPS at the start, even legit stamp dealers.. Reporting these ads doesn’t do any good, they just pop back up under different names.  And the glowing replies as to the quality of the stamps leaves one to wonder how many fake ideas are there to encourage the purchases.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

When I saw the thread being terminated, I wondered how and who made the decision.   

I may have been lax in posting the last few months, but it's not because I have nothing to say.  I have started numerous postings and ended up deleting them because I was angry at findings and also I might face retribution.   The fact that there has been little discussion on this Board about Counterfeiting was also a factor.

Maybe I'll start a new Thread called  " Let's Try a Counterfeit Listing for the Day".   It might generate  some interest. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Just for the record kh-cathy, the moderator of the previous thread (AI kathy), was really busy yesterday. Check this out 91 pages of closed threads!

https://community.ebay.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/6790383?cti=1&rp=1

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Maybe if eBay cut out some of the junk listings in the Stamps Category it would provide enough server space to continue another couple of years without deleting Community Thrreads. LOL

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Interesting subject!

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Hi Burton!!

How's your eyesight?  Good to see you active and participating.

I bought some of those stamp sheetlets and looked at them under a binocular medical microscope and if they are fake it would be impossible to prove.  I'm certain they are genuine--why would anybody make fake stamp sheets involving not only printing 4-color process (and as a former printer I can attest that it is true 4-color) on both sides of pressure sensitive paper, that then has to be precisely diecut, also on both sides, so it can be sold for a measly $12?  It makes as much sense as counterfeiting $1 bills.

If there is monkey business here it is in the acquiring of genuine USPS postage stamps in such a low-cost way that they can be sold profitably for way less than face value.  If a USPS (or subcontracted printer) warehouse had been burgled we would never know about it.  Further it would be easy for motivated employees  to purloin product away from a subcontract print facility which might consider strict security a drag on profit and thus sensibly dispensed with.

Nice to see some of the old names here.  It's been 25 years that I started frequenting the old eBay Chat Board.

Take care, and Happy Holidays to all!

jaywild

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Nice to Reminisce about the Hogan's Heroes TV show that ran years ago.  My favorite lines were from Sargeant Schultz.  He always said "I see nothing" and "I know nothing".  Thanks for the reminder.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Hey there! The old eyesight has good days and not so good days. Having moved from Maryland last spring, I had to get Delaware tags and a license. Delaware is a bit stricker about your vision and me , at 20/50 , got a Daylight Only license. This was only after two attempts at the eye test and a note from my Optometrist saying that I tested at 20/50. I have no problems driving at night on multi lane roads, just on single lanes with headlights coming at me….well this was certainly off the subject. In other news…those of you who remember Sheryll Rucker, she’s in a care facility in CA now, and just had a birthday, she’s on FB.

its curious that Royal Mail in the UK, is having similar problems with fakes and fakes being sold through various commerce sites. These have been proven to be fakes and if used, get returned to the sender with a postage due note plus a penalty fee.  I doubt if USPS is doin this.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

IS THIS PLAGIARISM ? OR Counterfeiting ?

CUT AND PASTE BELOW

Sponsored

Instant Plagiarism Scan
Grammarly
› plagiarism › checker

Plagiarism Check for Students — Write clear, compelling papers and essays with Grammarly’s real-time writing feedback. With real-time feedback, you can be confident your written work will make the grade.
Compare text to billions of web pages and major content databases.
Proofread your essay with ease. Writing that makes the grade.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

My Act II Thread has been closed and as stated "Locked".  At least it let my last post on 1/27/24, remain.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply