cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay-Paypal's New 21-Day Hold on Funds

Last night I received a disturbing Paypal payment, it was definately different. The email said in part...
"You've received a payment....blah blah blah... We’ve placed a temporary hold on the funds for this transaction...blah blah blah....We’ll release the hold in 21 days..."

The email further states that Paypal/eBay MAY release the funds early if:
1. The buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay.
2. We confirm that the item was delivered.* We can confirm delivery if you ship the item with USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either use PayPal shipping labels or upload tracking information from the transaction details page. This applies to transactions within the United States.

The email also instructed me to SHIP the item right away.

No. 1: I don't need eBay or Paypal to advise me on something I already do very well. Although we are relatively new at this, we have STELLAR Rating of 100%.

No. 2: A 21 Day Hold on our money is B.S! Its OUR money. But of course this maneuver allows Ebay & Paypal to significantly increase revenue by reaping (raping) the interest on millions of dollars.

I too want eBay to be a safe and trusted shopping venue, but this punishes those of us who follow the rules. It should be implemented on only those who are failing to provide quality customer service.

I also noticed the sneakiness involved. This was not widely broadcast in advance (I don't recall hear/reading anything about it) and It was implemented on a Friday afternoon. I sure hope everyone raises 2 colors of hell about this. Lodge a Formal Complaint.

Uncle Fred
Message 1 of 365
latest reply
364 REPLIES 364

Re: eBay-Paypal's New 21-Day Hold on Funds

I agree and I feel you with this money hold nonsense. I can imagine there are reasons for new sellers like myself. BUT I am so disgusted with the idea now. Tomorrow will be my 90 days selling... total sales quota... try and be good.. meet all the requirements...  etc so the pending fund stuff will be lifted. So I call a CSR to see what I need to do if anything. I'm told... " Any sales made prior to my 90 day anniversary will remain pending" REALLY? So I've pretty much decided to post nothing more for sale until they lift the pending sales money goodie on my account. I mean, I am a grandmother. I think you can let me have MY gawd darn money. The people have the merchandise?? yes they do. I'm so disgusted with ebay today.

Message 136 of 365
latest reply

While you establish your selling track record, buyer payments may be delayed. These funds will generally be available once:

• It’s been more than 90 days since your first successful sale
  • You’ve had more than 25 sales transactions with US buyers, and
  • You’ve had more than $250 in sales

Ebay needs to change this statement in the rules... it is not true. Those funds made before the 90 days even if it they are sold and made on the 89th day are STILL PENDING. They are not released. So annoyed. 

Thank you ebay for sucking any pleasure out of meeting your requirements I may have had. Nothing but angry and annoyed now.  How about saying what you really mean?

Message 137 of 365
latest reply

This is a ridiculous policy. I will never ship anything before I receive payment.

Message 138 of 365
latest reply

@rawhide7 wrote:

This is a ridiculous policy. I will never ship anything before I receive payment.

That's fine. If your money is ever held, expect buyers to express their opinion of your policies via feedback.

I don't know why it's so hard for some people to understand that if PayPal is holding the funds, you HAVE received payment. It's in your account. You just can't use it (except to ship the item) until you prove delivery.

Message 139 of 365
latest reply

I sold over $600 worth of camera gear on my buying account last week. As expected, the funds were held. I shipped next day. On the 3rd day after delivery, my money was released.

Mountains out of molehills.

Message 140 of 365
latest reply

I just restarted selling here on ebay again after a short break. 812 100% positve feedback yet they got me on a 21 day hold. I just sold 10 out of my 14 items listed all where deleviver verified by tracking and yet no release of my money. Last couple of auctions that end I WILL NOT SHIP UNTIL MONEY IS RELEASED.I suggest everyone else start doing tihis aslo NO MONEY NO SHIPPING.

Message 141 of 365
latest reply

Me too!  It seems so illegal (if it isn't, eBay has one hell of a "lobbyist" influence) to take the buyers' money for a flat rate, actual cost USPS Priority Mail shipment, and KEEP it, forcing the seller to ship from their own pockets.  How is this OKAY?  The only reason I have to sell something is because I BOUGHT SO MUCH EBAY stuff, SO they already made a fortune on me this month.  I NEED to sell a few things to make it all work.  If I sell something at this point, I will not have my own funds to fork out for shipping things that cost about 20 each to send.  Buyer has paid, so I hope like heck they don't play games and keep their money from the seller for the purpose of shipping.  I hope I am mistaken. I REALLY HOPE!  I have over 1,000 Feedback, 100% positive since the year 2000!  I SO HOPE they are doing the right thing. STILL, MUST SELL some things. I have to chance it and sell in hopes.  I will follow up & tell you all how it works out. Wish me luck! Smiley Frustrated *IF* in fact they ARE doing this, I will HAVE to hold the item until the money comes available, same as ring657130 -- NO MONEY, NO SHIPPING. Not as a matter of protest (though I understand the sentiment), but because eBay has ALL of my available money because of the BUSINESS I already gave them. 

Message 142 of 365
latest reply

ALL I expect is to ship the item USING BUYER funds.  If this is right as you are saying, I can totally live with it.  I don't mind letting them hold until item is shipped, etc.  I will, however, run into a major problem if they don't let me use postal funds sent by the buyer to ship the item. THAT will create a problem I can't easily overcome.  You make sense, but keeping postal funds and forcing sellers to ship from their own money after buyers in good faith have paid for postage, seems inherently wrong.

Message 143 of 365
latest reply

it's not "illegal" as you agreed to the hold when you signed up and to any changes by continying to use the site.

people that don't read the ua they sign usually complain the loadest about not seeing the rules

age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Message 144 of 365
latest reply

Ebay will loose a lot of sellers with their new joke of a hold policy that includes holding sellers shipping fees that were paid. It's just a way for Ebay to make more money from Ebay sellers as they'll make a pretty penny on the interest earned from the funds that are on hold!! COUNT ME OUT!! MARK MY WORD, EBAY/PAYPAL WILL SUFFER HUGE LOSSES FROM THE DECLINE OF SELLERS AS A RESULT OF THEIR VERY POOR BUSINESS DECISION

Message 145 of 365
latest reply

@bbp206232 wrote:

Ebay will loose a lot of sellers with their new joke of a hold policy that includes holding sellers shipping fees that were paid. It's just a way for Ebay to make more money from Ebay sellers as they'll make a pretty penny on the interest earned from the funds that are on hold!! COUNT ME OUT!! MARK MY WORD, EBAY/PAYPAL WILL SUFFER HUGE LOSSES FROM THE DECLINE OF SELLERS AS A RESULT OF THEIR VERY POOR BUSINESS DECISION

How far out of the look does one have to be to call a policy "new" when it was started in 2008?

Where are those HUGE LOSSES?

You can use the held funds to pay for postage. That's been explained multiple times in this thread. I sold something this morning and paid for my label with some of the held money.

This isn't rocket science.

Message 146 of 365
latest reply

@ring657130 wrote:

NO MONEY NO SHIPPING.

Lots of negative feedback and bad DSR's, and a severly shortened eBay selling career.

Brilliant.

Message 147 of 365
latest reply

Ebay forgets who their customers actually are who keeps the doors open at EBAY

IT IS THE SELLERS PAYING VALUATION FEES not buyers buying sellers products

If they continue to treat sellers as tough we are all some kind of common criminal at some point the wheels will fall off the ebay wagon when they have no more sellers to take valuation fees from

When more than 1 feedback is left by a multiple item buyer it only counts as 1 positive or negitive strike towards the seller’s feedback total

But not with the infamies DSR  THEY ALL COUNT TOWARDS YOUR DSR

I cancelled a sale for a customer that wanted free shipping on some 1 cent items so I refunded the funds immediately and the fun got started 4 neg feedbacks right away with the threat that 3 more were coming if i did not smarten up and get shipping

being the dumb a$$ that i am thinking well this will only count as 1 my feedback might not be pretty but would not be a big deal in the overall outlook 

well they left  0 on all available DSR even on item description which they never even received so how the he!! Could they describe it???  Still waiting for the answer for ebay central on that one

Anyway i sold 2 motors with shipping is over 4000 which paypal is now holding because my DSR ratings over 7 items worth 17.26 has tanked my DSR and has put my account into the sewer

There was one bright spot one of the customer relation experts told me I could use to use a       pre-paid USPS box to hold a 1300 lb engine BRILLIANT why did I not think of that

Message 148 of 365
latest reply

I've been part of ebay and paypal for a decade and all of the sudden they're holding my money for 3 weeks!?!?!?!?!  What the hell is this?!

Message 149 of 365
latest reply

YOU CAN ACTUALLY CALL PAYPAL and MAKE THEM RELEASE THE FUNDS FOR YOU INSTANTANEOUSLY.

Just keep demanding your money, and they will comply.

It's YOUR F'ing MONEY!

-Ruben Joshua Moreno

Message 150 of 365
latest reply