cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay-Paypal's New 21-Day Hold on Funds

Last night I received a disturbing Paypal payment, it was definately different. The email said in part...
"You've received a payment....blah blah blah... We’ve placed a temporary hold on the funds for this transaction...blah blah blah....We’ll release the hold in 21 days..."

The email further states that Paypal/eBay MAY release the funds early if:
1. The buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay.
2. We confirm that the item was delivered.* We can confirm delivery if you ship the item with USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either use PayPal shipping labels or upload tracking information from the transaction details page. This applies to transactions within the United States.

The email also instructed me to SHIP the item right away.

No. 1: I don't need eBay or Paypal to advise me on something I already do very well. Although we are relatively new at this, we have STELLAR Rating of 100%.

No. 2: A 21 Day Hold on our money is B.S! Its OUR money. But of course this maneuver allows Ebay & Paypal to significantly increase revenue by reaping (raping) the interest on millions of dollars.

I too want eBay to be a safe and trusted shopping venue, but this punishes those of us who follow the rules. It should be implemented on only those who are failing to provide quality customer service.

I also noticed the sneakiness involved. This was not widely broadcast in advance (I don't recall hear/reading anything about it) and It was implemented on a Friday afternoon. I sure hope everyone raises 2 colors of hell about this. Lodge a Formal Complaint.

Uncle Fred
Message 1 of 365
latest reply
364 REPLIES 364

Re: eBay-Paypal's New 21-Day Hold on Funds

Yeah, ebay treats the people that make them money - the sellers - like we're all crooks. They keep the money and won't release it until well after they should in order to add to their profits.  And it doesn't matter about your feedback score.  They are hypocritical in this matter, because they have this score to let buyers know who is reputable and who is not, yet they don't pay attention to this score at all.  You can have 100% positive feedback and they don't care at all.  I don't have that many sales.  I'm just an individual who sometimes sells a cell phone or other piece of electronic equipment, so I have only 32 sales.  But I've been on ebay since 1999 and have 100% positive feedback.  I do my best to keep it that way because if I do want to sell something, I want people to buy it.  If they know that they will get what I've listed in the exact condition I've listed it and when I said they'd get it, then they will feel comfortable buying from me.  But instead of ebay looking at me as an honest seller, they treat me like a crook and won't pay me my money.  Frankly, I'm not in a great hurry to get the money, but it's MY money and I've not cheated anyone and I'm not going to cheat anyone.  The buyer has received the item and has left positive feedback, yet it's another three days until ebay will release the funds.  In my book, that makes them the crooks.  And they won't release funds sooner unless you have - I think - 100 transactions in the last year with all positive feedback or something like that.  But I'll never reach that threshhold.  And so a consistent track record over years with 100% positive feedback is not good enough for them.  Those crooks treat me like I'm the crook.  What a joke!!

Message 121 of 365
latest reply

Oh, I see I didn't address your last question.  No, I doubt seriously they read any of these posts.  They basically have the monopoly in this market and so they can do anything they want to.  It's only when the sellers band together and either go elsewhere or take other action that they will get the message.  Unfortunately, people tend to believe they have no power against large corporations like ebay, so they don't make any efforts to change things . . . and ebay laughs all the way to the bank.

Message 122 of 365
latest reply

@stryder555 wrote:
eBay has just done the same thing to me. 100% positive feedback over 3000 transactions and they want to hold my money? They mumbled something about deficient anonymous seller ratings.

How do you not know about your own DSR ratings? Nothing the eBay rep told you should have been a surprise. The 21-day hold is the least of your worries. Your 4.6 shipping/handling DSR is below the cutoff point that eBay has been using to screen sellers for permanent suspension.

Message 123 of 365
latest reply

Sadly I wish I had found this before selling my item on eBay.   

I took a break from selling on eBay starting in 2009 becuase of the high fees associated with listing.  I just found it cheaper and easier to deal with Amazon Marketplace and Craigslist.  

Fast forward to today, I decided to try and sale again as eBay lifted the listing fee and only charged for what you made.  Well the nightmare began.  A little history, I have been a member since 2002 and have 100% feedback.    Never had an issue, complaint, or negartive feedback.  

1.) eBay now REQUIRED me to put a credit card on file to cover Buyer Protection charges and stated they would randomly charge my credit card for verification.  This immediatley stopped me from selling, but after no luck selling on Craigstlist, I took the plunge and did as eBay directed.

2.) Once listed, the item sold as expected.   The seller not only did not pay for the item for 2 days, he never contacted me.  I had to chase after him to get him to finally pay.  Once he payed, then I run into this.

3.) Paypal/eBay is now holding the funds for 21 days OR until the buyer gets the item and keeps it for 3 days.  

LOL eBay, you are out of your minds if you think I will EVER sale with you again.  Do you see customers walking into Best Buy , getting a TV, then saying, ok, Ill pay you in 3 days after I take it home?

This is BEYOND a joke and I will do nothing but spread bad reviews over the internet about this.

Message 124 of 365
latest reply

@nevedfc wrote:

Sadly I wish I had found this before selling my item on eBay.   

I took a break from selling on eBay starting in 2009 becuase of the high fees associated with listing.  I just found it cheaper and easier to deal with Amazon Marketplace and Craigslist.  

Fast forward to today, I decided to try and sale again as eBay lifted the listing fee and only charged for what you made.  Well the nightmare began.  A little history, I have been a member since 2002 and have 100% feedback.    Never had an issue, complaint, or negartive feedback.  

1.) eBay now REQUIRED me to put a credit card on file to cover Buyer Protection charges and stated they would randomly charge my credit card for verification.  This immediatley stopped me from selling, but after no luck selling on Craigstlist, I took the plunge and did as eBay directed.

2.) Once listed, the item sold as expected.   The seller not only did not pay for the item for 2 days, he never contacted me.  I had to chase after him to get him to finally pay.  Once he payed, then I run into this.

3.) Paypal/eBay is now holding the funds for 21 days OR until the buyer gets the item and keeps it for 3 days.  

LOL eBay, you are out of your minds if you think I will EVER sale with you again.  Do you see customers walking into Best Buy , getting a TV, then saying, ok, Ill pay you in 3 days after I take it home?

This is BEYOND a joke and I will do nothing but spread bad reviews over the internet about this.

From a poster, Steevo, on a blog: 

"If they spun Paypal off then Paypal could not be ordered by ebay to hold sellers funds for 21 days. 

Ebay would never allow that. 

I did complain again last week to the California department of financial institutions about Paypal. 

I pointed out to an official there that though Paypal is licensed as a ''money transmitter'' they are making business loans.  Clearly outside the functions of their business as a money transmitter.  They guy admitted it.  

If they would just suspend Paypal  completely that would bring this all to the forefront. The legislature is going to have to get involved." 

Message 125 of 365
latest reply

I currently have over 700 sales and have just been told after my account was on this hold already that it would be in hold for a month until my next review. Well that day came and went and still they have not released my funds. Ebay states that yes I have positive feedback and everyone seems pleased that my account is on hold yet again for another month. Because this time i had an item not as described which is not true. As a single parent to 5 this fiasco has left my children and I in the dark literally with no electric because ebay was holding my money. No warning and no mention they had planned to do this. Now I have to wait another month when I have had NO Negative feedback or complaints. Not a single one! Yet they state im below standard and being kept from my funds even after the customer verified they had recived thier items. This is the most outrageous thing I've seen in a while. I am now waiting for an appeal that takes 72 hours to wait because i think this is unfair and greedy on ebays part and nothing more. and let me tell you it had better get lifted. Ebays recent stunt has cost me about 1,000. If they come back and say I still have to wait I dont think I will be on Ebay much longer. The sales market is huge im being punished for something I didnt do. Its been more then 72 hours and still no callback or change o n my hold. Ebay states they do this because of some low 1 or 2 number on a feedback. Seems to me Instead of holding my money it would make more sense to educate ma little better so it wouldn't happen again! Just saying!!!
Message 126 of 365
latest reply

@kcolquitt.2012 wrote:
I currently have over 700 sales and have just been told after my account was on this hold already that it would be in hold for a month until my next review. Well that day came and went and still they have not released my funds. Ebay states that yes I have positive feedback and everyone seems pleased that my account is on hold yet again for another month. Because this time i had an item not as described which is not true. As a single parent to 5 this fiasco has left my children and I in the dark literally with no electric because ebay was holding my money. No warning and no mention they had planned to do this. Now I have to wait another month when I have had NO Negative feedback or complaints. Not a single one! Yet they state im below standard and being kept from my funds even after the customer verified they had recived thier items. This is the most outrageous thing I've seen in a while. I am now waiting for an appeal that takes 72 hours to wait because i think this is unfair and greedy on ebays part and nothing more. and let me tell you it had better get lifted. Ebays recent stunt has cost me about 1,000. If they come back and say I still have to wait I dont think I will be on Ebay much longer. The sales market is huge im being punished for something I didnt do. Its been more then 72 hours and still no callback or change o n my hold. Ebay states they do this because of some low 1 or 2 number on a feedback. Seems to me Instead of holding my money it would make more sense to educate ma little better so it wouldn't happen again! Just saying!!!

There's a social media backlash going on against ebay and PayPal, much of it comprised of former ebay sellers who went through what you are going through and much worse. If you go to a search engine and type in former ebay sellers it will pull up some useful information for you.

Message 127 of 365
latest reply

what really put the icing on the cake,.was when i recently sold a snooker table,.quite clearly stated on my advert COLLECTION ONLY,.it sold,buyer payed to paypal and collected item,.all quick no hassles,.however even after 2 emails to paypal,still not released my funds(which i should/could have had payed into MY hand),.ebay still asking to mark as dispatched,.i mean **bleep** are these 'people' doing...so worried about their name and 'security' that they fail to look at the obvious,.come on ebay/paypal,you're not actually running america,..but  ur policy seems to be penalise the seller,.why have you even got a feedback procedure,.you clearly cant/dont read it,...

Message 128 of 365
latest reply

with that much hate , maybe selling online isn't for you,.

age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Message 129 of 365
latest reply

I've been a eBay member since 1999 when there were no fees, no "must use PayPal," no eBay Bucks, etc.  I don't sell very often and hadn't sold anything in quite a while. Recently I sold an item and am appalled to find out that

PAYPAL WON'T RELEASE MY BUYER'S FUNDS TO ME FOR NEARLY 3 WEEKS!!!

WHAT A RIP OFF!!!

PAYPAL IS MAKING TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS EVERY DAY ON OUR MONEY.

I'M STICKING TO CRAIGSLIST FROM NOW ON.

Message 130 of 365
latest reply

Lately, I just wait the 21 days.  Anytime a friend or family member asks about Ebay though, I will tell them about the 21 day hold.  It pretty much turns all of them off from ever considering Ebay for their sales.  I guess if Ebay doesn't care about potential new customers, so be it.

I understand the security concerns, but this really is bad bad bad for a seller.  3 weeks is a very long time.  It really ruins the entire selling experience.

Message 131 of 365
latest reply

I've also been a member since 2005 and just now noticed the 21 day wait time. 8 years, 190+ transactions, 100% Feedback rating and no problems ever.

Does that not count for anything? If I'm a "Trusted Buyer/Seller" why in Gods name would you make me wait? If I'm selling something at the Flea Market, what do I do, give them the item they want, tell them to take it home and 21 days from now, you can go ahead and pay me?

Seriously?

This isn't about security, quality assurance or customer satisfaction etc, this is clearly about greed. It's an excuse for accruing interest and making even more money than what it already does by holding cash in an interest bearing account.

ebay use to be a novel concept and fair with its buyers and sellers. Seems the longer time passes, the more greedy ebay has become.

And it's not the buyer who is getting the shaft, it's the seller. Keep losing sellers to Craigslist because of this ebay, and pretty soon, it will become the standard to sell on. Why? If sellers no longer lists a sale because they don't want to have to sit out a "Waiting period" to be paid, they'll be nothing to buy.

Most sellers are motivated to sell unique, sought after and hard to find items quite simply because they need the money. Not 5, 10, 15 or 21 days from now, but now. You think someone with a college degree in the upper levels of both ebay and Paypal would understand this.

My guess is either they don't, don't care, or know all this, and ignore it at the expense of its members. Thank you ebay, no, really, thanks.
Message 132 of 365
latest reply

You know what? 

I hadn't even given any thought about selling on Amazon. 

Looks like from now on, unless something changes, it will be there or Craigslist. 

Message 133 of 365
latest reply

I have never been so **bleep** off at a company. Holding funds? If we are not worthy enough to sell then kick us out. Otherwise release our freaking money. Just motivates me to list on other forums instead. And I will. You should too!
Message 134 of 365
latest reply

@twjames1965 wrote:
I have never been so **bleep** off at a company. Holding funds? If we are not worthy enough to sell then kick us out. Otherwise release our freaking money. Just motivates me to list on other forums instead. And I will. You should too!

With those 4.7 DSR's, eBay may make that decision for you.

Message 135 of 365
latest reply