cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please introduce yourself

Welcome dear Chess Collector, Each new member should introduce himself here. In your post, describe a little of your background and how you found your way to chess collecting. Feel free to read everyone's posts and reply to a couple if you find them interesting. Kind regards, Robert van der Veur -- Edited by kristjansander at 07/19/2007 2:16 AM -- Edited by r.van.der.veur at 11/04/2007 4:27 AM -- Edited by r.van.der.veur at 11/04/2007 7:46 AM
Message 1 of 203
latest reply
202 REPLIES 202

Re: Please introduce yourself

leanofpeak
Enthusiast

hello Duncan.  I was boen in San Jose and was raised here my whole life.

So you remember the orchards?  Yes.  There used to be many.  Good memories for sure.

And I bet that small house is still there as Palo Altans are keen on sprucing them up and living in them.  Smaller is better.

I fly in and out of Woodland airport occasionally.  Great service center there, and I love the town...country living at its finest, ie good people, food, hunting, skiing...

thanks for the warm welcome

Message 196 of 203
latest reply

Yeah, I guess that's why I'm still here, I was born in Santa Cruz, but have lived in Washington, Oregon, Wyoming and, of course, California (my folks moved around a lot), but I have lived in Woodland the longest.  Guess we can at least claim to be California natives (weren't too many of those for a long time) and now so can my kids and their kids (and perhaps yours?).

It will be interesting to watch as you build your collection.

. . .

If you go with the flow you'll either get washed out to sea or be dammed.
Message 197 of 203
latest reply

leanofpeak
Enthusiast

Interesting indeed.  I have learned a lot over the past weeks...

Patience is key.

I have since revised my overall plan and will not focus on just one brand/style.

too many intersting sets out there.

it's art.

Message 198 of 203
latest reply

Hi All,

My name is Fran from Madrid (Spain).

I'm a very amateur chess player and chess collector.

I have collected some chess sets for the last 3 years and i enjoy go to the internet seeing pics of the very old and beautiful chess sets from the great chess collectors.

I found this group in a link i don't know where.

I have some chess set that i would like to date them because i bought it but i don't really know what country they are from and the date they are.

Best regards at all.

Message 199 of 203
latest reply

Welcome, Fran! Do you have a webpage of your collection?

Message 200 of 203
latest reply

Hi,

Not yet... I was checking last week to select the most i like to take some pics. I will upload to picasa or blogspot when i finish and let you know.

Thank you

🙂

Message 201 of 203
latest reply

mvmsoftware
Enthusiast

My Name is roland and together with my brother we are chess collectors and also members in the cci. We have a chess museum in switzerland with more then 4000 Exp. in 48 showcases on 420 m2. We are too owner from the exposition "World of Chess" what is since more then 10 years on tour in big shopping malls around the world. More from us you see on www.schachmuseum.ch and www.flickr.com/schachmuseum

Message 202 of 203
latest reply

Roland, I like your web site and would like to visit your museum in person later this year. Do you have any plans to put english translations on your web site? Floyd Sarisohn  Long Island Chess Museum  (CCI member).

Message 203 of 203
latest reply