cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo Albums in Picasa - links

Alan Dewey began the new scheme of links to photo albums in Picasa. I have started this thread to have all the links in one place. Please use this thread for listing each topic and its link. No other comments please. I am also posting Photo Albums in our group with just one cover photo and a link to Picasa. Alan F
Message 1 of 180
latest reply
179 REPLIES 179

Re: Photo Albums in Picasa - links

Robert, I reckon he certainly did. 😉
Message 166 of 180
latest reply

Robert, I applaud to your integrity. Many collectors would have said that the lot would have been worth 60 Euros in good condition and offered 25. Well done!
Message 167 of 180
latest reply

He probably not only smiled, I suspect he also danced a jig. :-D And I second Kristjan. -- Edited by d-baron at 10/17/2010 9:22 AM PDT
. . .

If you go with the flow you'll either get washed out to sea or be dammed.
Message 168 of 180
latest reply

This fellow Picasian has a fine collection of material well worth viewing. http://picasaweb.google.com/Leo.Hovestadt/CafeSimpsonsInTheStrand Take his Simpsons on the Strand Album for example.I dont recall viewing better pictures from any source anywhere.
Message 169 of 180
latest reply

Hi Guy, Great find on Picasa. Do we know who Leo Hovestadt is? Happy & Healthy New year to All Cheers Jim
Message 170 of 180
latest reply

Jim, Have a look at Leo's website: Carolus chess -- Edited by r.van.der.veur at 01/01/2011 11:01 AM PST
Message 171 of 180
latest reply

Hi Robert, I have not yet looked at all of Leo's website, but in the "Modern History" section there does appear to be a number of errors! At a guess I would say that he has taken this history from a number of "old fashioned" sources and it does not reflect the latest research or modern thinking. There are also some interesting items I had not seen before. Jim
Message 172 of 180
latest reply

Jim, This is one reason why naming the source is so important. Leo lists his sources, for all to see, and even in some areas, shows differing opinions. I think its a great site, and let us hope it encourages further enthausists to offer more contributions.
Message 173 of 180
latest reply

leoh2901
Enthusiast
Hi all, Just to introduce myself, I started on chess history when I was teaching chess. And every lesson I wanted to tell something around chess. This grew out of hand, and there was a lot of interest in the stories (like for kids for presentations), so I started Carolus Chess in July 2010. I regard Carolus Chess still in draft form, and know there are mistakes in; missing references; etc, but I appreciate input. Above all, I like to make the site visual, so also understandable for not chess players. So I am always on the search for pictures and video's. In Neurenberg at the CCI congress I gave a presentation about the black and white of chess boards. Then I also joined the CCI. I play on and off chess since I was five. I live in Veenendaal, the Netherlands. By the way, I enjoy a lot, all your picasa sites!!! -- Edited by leoh2901 at 01/02/2011 4:49 AM PST
Message 174 of 180
latest reply

October update posted Oct 13, 2010 12:01 AM by Leo Hovestadt I gave a presentation at the Chess Collectors International about the origin of the checkered board in Nürnberg, which was very interesting, since there were a lot of very knowledgeable people on chess history. The presentation was well received, and I learned a lot of new things I for sure will add on this site. But in short not a lot of time to work on the site. Another presentation will follow in two weeks, which will also cosume still a lot of time. But after that I can add the newly found things to this site. Jim, I have offered contact, and one hopes he will return it, the talk he refers to may be remembered by some one some time ago, or was he in .... Disguise at Cambridge ... 😉
Message 175 of 180
latest reply

Oops .... ]:) Jumped the gun as usual ...sorry Leo , 😉
Message 176 of 180
latest reply

leoh2901
Enthusiast
Chesspurr, nice to know that someone is reading the announcement sections.
Message 177 of 180
latest reply

Jim, I have been looking at the Carolus Web site of Leo's as opposed to his Picasa Albums. Some material has certainly been taken from the Bill Wall Chessville site, as he has listed this source. I took a quick look at two links, the History of Chess sets, and the chess piece history, and there are some facts, offered by Wall, which are open to dispute to say the least.
Message 178 of 180
latest reply

Guy, Some of Bill Wall's writtings are taken word for word from Mackett Beeson's book, which we now know contains many errors! This is one of the problems with copying other peoples work! Errors can unfortunately and unwittingly get passed on. Jim
Message 179 of 180
latest reply

leoh2901
Enthusiast
Hi Jim / Guy, Thanks for the feedback. I am currently checking the medieval pieces. I gathered a lot of material in the Royal Library in the Hague i.e. from Manfred Eder, Antje-Kluger,Hans Hollander, etc. Checking and processing will take about 2 weeks. For sure that will cause corrections. If you think I should correct something, just let me know. However, sooner or later, most pages receive major updates and checks. You can follow what I am working on, on the recent site activity page. Leo
Message 180 of 180
latest reply