Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MATERIAL Plastic chess sets

This thread is for plastic chess sets.
Message 1 of 309
latest reply
308 REPLIES 308

Re: MATERIAL Plastic chess sets

I'm impressed.  What kind of prices are we talking about there?

. . .

If you go with the flow you'll either get washed out to sea or be dammed.
Message 301 of 309
latest reply

D-baron I replied to your pm a few days ago.
Message 302 of 309
latest reply

Ah, so you did.  Sorry, I missed it but have now responded.

. . .

Message 303 of 309
latest reply

I have added another picture. Check it out! As always comments are welcome. Also you can clearly see those are reproductions. Made from modern plastics and solid I am not interested at all in trying to duplicate an original look. I wanted the pieces to be perfect with no molds lines.
Message 304 of 309
latest reply

I'm curious as to what kind of modern plastic you use.  Most seem to use polystyrene of which I can't stand the look and feel.  Just my own personal idiosyncracy, I know.  Are there hopefully more choices of modern plastic than it?  Either way, I do really like the idea of having no mold lines.

-- Edited by d-baron at 05/28/2012 3:17 PM PDT
. . .

Message 305 of 309
latest reply

d-baron,

I completely agree with you about polystyrene! I know a few pen turners that use it but I can't stand the look, feel or smell!! The fumes are ridiculous! Use it in your garage and I can guaranty that your entire house will smell like it for days! I use Urathane resins. They look and feel like quality plastic and you can machine and polish it! I am finishing up a set then all my equipment is getting packed and i am hitting the long road from Washington state to Texas. I leave on the 12th!

Message 306 of 309
latest reply

My ultimate dream would be to get my hands on one of each of the different Ganine pottery size pieces and make an entire set out of those!! I have never seen one in person but I am thingking that would be a back yard sized set!!

Message 307 of 309
latest reply

Luis,

I saw where you sold your first repro set on eBay.  I suspect a deluge of these is coming. 😉

But seriously, I always thought the Tournament Classic was way over done by Ganine. Looking at your last photo, may I suggest an adaptation?  Lose the base on the "honey dripper" set.  Just leave the bottom half of the "honey dripper" intact.  This set does not need a base for the pedestal.  It makes the pieces look "too fat". 

The overly done bases + pedestals are a feature of some Russian sets. Methinks Pie-air was harkening back to those sets.  But it just don't look right on the modernist Tournament Classic. 

Whadayathink?

Dan

Message 308 of 309
latest reply

Can you crop a photo to show me exactly what you mean? No, there is no deluge coming, those sets are very time consuming and labor intensive!! It was made for me to have the set the way I wanted and I was contacted and asked to make a set. It was listed on ebay for that specific person.

Message 309 of 309
latest reply