Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MATERIAL Plastic chess sets

This thread is for plastic chess sets.
Message 1 of 309
latest reply
308 REPLIES 308

as a collector of selected older plastic sets , i notice descriptions for the same set on e bay ,varies depending upon the ethics of the seller . bakelite? is a classic example of this , a hopeful ruse or a genuine plea for help from the seller. as an exercise i took a few of my bakelite sets to antique fairs for opinions ,and i received a shock. i knew more than most of the antique dealers, on some of the sets. then when one goes to auctions ,very few older sets are on offer ,and catalogues are almost useless , as almost none are mentioned. an exception to this is the greys of cambridge silette set , which is way under valued at present. e bay has probably caused this as such sets seem plentiful, they are not. i have yet to see a book offering much information on such sets either. to see if any group member can help me , i have posted a small plastic set in the albums ,under plastic. if any one has an opinion of its origion ,i would sure like to hear it.
Message 2 of 309
latest reply

Hi Guy I have seen that plastic set you put in the album. certainly a very interesting set! Where did you get that one? Sorry, I can't help, because I have never seen such a thing... cheers, Joost
Message 3 of 309
latest reply

hi joost i bought it in london over a year ago , and i can only guess as to its description. it is a small set 2.5 inch king. i think it might be celluloid , there are no seam joins on the pieces , and they unscrew at the bases plastic threads. the board is the origional , with the inside housing the pieces. again i am guessing but southern russia comes to mind , and its 1930s or earlier .
Message 4 of 309
latest reply

221baker
Enthusiast
An interesting set. Do you have any close-ups of the pieces and the hardware on the board? The hardware could be quite revealing assuming it's all original. Dick
Message 5 of 309
latest reply

I was not able to see the pictures. I have quite a few plastic chess sets. I am currently seeking the Peter Ganine Classic chess set tournament edition. Any help would be greatly appreciated. One sold on e-bay about a week ago. I was in bed sick when the auction ended and miss out. If the winning bidder is in this group please contact me!!!!!
Message 6 of 309
latest reply

worldwide509
Enthusiast
ISARIOS I believe the set on eBay that you missed was the "Standard" set and not the "Tournament" set. If I remember correctly, one of the pawns had holes in the base, described by the Seller as dog bites. Sorry I didn't save a copy of the auction. Good luck with your quest. They are both very nice sets. Frank
Message 7 of 309
latest reply

Isarios Sorry to hear you weren't able to miss the end of that auction. You are of course talking about 120077045309. That was an excellent set. Am in the same boat as you are as I came in second in that one! It's likely that the winner got that one on the cheap!!! Another one like it sold for $350.00 a year or so ago. It was mint condition just like the auction last week. If I can help with discussion on other plastic sets, let me know. That's my primary area of interest. Dan P.S. The album photos for Ganine classic sets are up. Includes one with Spock of Star Trek fame playing with a TE classic.
Message 8 of 309
latest reply

Oops! Make that a standard Classic not Tournament edition. Dan
Message 9 of 309
latest reply

Hi Chesspurr Am I missing something? I can't see any photo in the "Plastic" album! Regards Jim
Message 10 of 309
latest reply

acf1515 hi jim it seems our cat rocky fats ate the set !!!! being serious ,i am having huge problems getting photos to the group albums ,as my byte levels have been too high. so my two photos had to be deleted . now i have posted a horn set ,and again almost 1/2 my allocation is gone !!!!!!! i went to the trouble of even reducing the photo size to 160 pixels , now i am at a loss as to what to do.
Message 11 of 309
latest reply

Does anyone know anything about 270087135761?! I've been working on my own resin Charlemagne set which would be simplified in the exact way this one is make it cast easily. I've got only 1.5 originals carved at the moment and was still perfecting the method. I thought it was odd no one had tried it before... apparently someone has! I was not planning to buy another set until at least April, but I've never seen this set before and if it's not one that's still being made I think I will have to borrow from March's budget and bid as high as I can on it. I don't imagine it's a set I can legally make copies of if I get it, but part of why I set out to make a Charlemagne set was just to have one myself as I didn't think one was available. If it's not being made today and not old enough to make legal copies of (or if it is old enough and I'm not able to win it,) I may continue my plans to carve my own version... but seeing a pretty nicely done one out there already makes the prospect of all that carving somewhat less attractive.
Message 12 of 309
latest reply

I have a wonderful chess set. It is called the Edition III Imperator collectors series chess set. It is very unique and very beatiful. Have not seen another like it! I'll try and post pictures later but if anyone has info on the set I would greatly appreciate it.
Message 13 of 309
latest reply

Hello Isarios Yes, the Imperator is a very attractive design. That's by Classic Games. It was issued in two color schemes that I'm aware of: white-black and silver-gold. I have most of the Classic Games historical sets but not the Imperator. It appears to have been produced in smaller quantities than the Roman, Napoleon and 1776 historical sets. It pops up on eBay about once a month or so. I passed on the Imperator because the size is just too small for my liking. The king is about 3" tall and I prefer sets with 4" kings or bigger. Although I'll make a few exceptions here and there. (ex. Drueke player's choice) Seems strange that they didn't make the Imperator the same size as the rest of their editions. The previously mentioned historical sets all had 4" kings (5" kings on the pedestal versions). Maybe that played a part in them not selling many of these. Hence, they're a little harder to find. Cheers! Dan
Message 14 of 309
latest reply

If we have any members that have the Peter Ganine Classic chess set tournament edition please, please contact me!!!!
Message 15 of 309
latest reply