cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to list an item in a buy it now listing?

I started out selling my items in a 10 day listing.  I've been doing a lot of ready here on eBay and I've been told to list it in a 30 day listing because it would be cheaper.  I do think it's cheaper because every time I have to re-list an item it cost me 30 cents.  I also try to use any promotions that eBay offers me.  Right now I can list up to 200,000 in a auction style with buy it now listing with no insertion fee.  Of course, it is only good for 10 days and I have to list one item at a time.  I haven't sold anything in those auctions and don't seem to be getting many views on them.  Since I'm new to selling on eBay, any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Since most bids on auctions come in the last few minutes, even seconds, a longer auction is not useful.

You may find that in your particular category, that you will do better catering to impulse buyers.

Having looked at your listings, some of your watchers, who you mentioned in another post may be just using your listings as a cheap thrill. (I personally found the "gentleman's undergarment" hilarious.)

Consider reducing your listings to 7 days, or even three days. If, as you say, you have thousands of free listings available, run some for three days and add Buy It Now, even if you have to pay for that. Free is nice, but not if it leads to a lot of work and no sales.

When the listing runs out, go to your Unsold and relist it as Sell Similar.

I wonder if you are dropshipping? If so, remember that your supplier has hundreds of customers like you and every one of them is your competitor.

Look around for local supplier of similar but less often seen products. The Yellow Pages of your city is a good place to start. The paper ones. Try the Public Library.

Look under  Lingerie -wholesale and Erotica- wholesale (the latter term gave me the giggles, for some reason). Check manufacturers, importers, wholesalers, jobbers and liquidators.

As you gain experience, you may find it useful to open a Store and keep some of your more popular items there, ready for instant sale. My Store gives me some free listings, but most (books) cost me only a nickel a month with a few (dress patterns costing a dime amonth)

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I think that's probably a very good idea.  I'll try listing some items on a 3 day listing so that I can see what happens.  You said  when the listing runs out, go to my Unsold and relist it as Sell Similar.  Is there a reason to relist as Sell Similar instead of just relisting them?

No, I'm not dropshipping.  We have a online store and these item just aren't moving very fast.  That's why I'm listing tem on eBay.  After they are gone I won't be re-ordering. 

Thank you so much for all your help.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

What is the item you are selling and want to put on for 30 days?  Next question: Do you use Turbo lister which is a free program that helps out with listings off line?  I use that and am setting up an item right now for 30 days.  There is a fee for 30 days but you can put in quantity for that item and one advantage you have with that listing is your potential buyers see how many you have available at the time and also if you have sold any yet too.  I looked at a listing tonight which originally had 2 in quantity and one was already sold.  That helps to push people to buy it before time runs out.  I looked at a listing that I have on a 30 day listing but time is running out for one of my items because it is down to 1 last day as of today and I have seen that as of today I have a watcher on that item.  I have not had a watcher until the last day and maybe someone is marking that item so they do not have to search for it long.  Someone else did that a few days ago I believe because last night I saw a watcher pop-up on a listing and then this morning the item sold and most likely the person watching the item was the same person who bought the item.  I am not sure about it but that listing was not down for a long period of time.  That is the other advantage to doing a buy it now.  It is best to do that for items that people do not want to get into bidding wars over.  I had a bidding war earlier today but that was for a very popular new game and that is why I put it down as an auction.  I hope I have helped and I look forward to hearing your answers to my questions.  Good luck and thank you for asking for advice.  Peace.

CEO EBay Store: Little_Useful_Delights

I operate this store primarily in the evenings and I am always looking and looking for very useful sales, discounts and Bargains.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

As they come up for relisting, I've been listing my intimate apparel items on a 30 day Buy It Now listing.  I have been selling several items but it's been costing me 30 cents every time I have to relist the item.  That's why I'm relisting with a 30 day listing instead of a 7 or 10 day listing.  Now, I'm wondering if that's the right thing to do since I've been told that my items might do better on short listings to attract impulse buyers.  If I have it on a 30 day Buy It Now listing, will I sell them or are they going to set there for 30 days without any being sold until the last day?  Since I am a new seller, I am restricted on how many items I can list in a month.  That is why I have to list only 2 to 5 items per listing.  It makes it hard to keep track of inventory, I'm having to do a lot of relistings and each time I do relist, it cost me.  If I sound confused, it's because I am. LOL!!! 

I've not use Turbo lister and have never heard about it till now.  I was just looking for something simple to jazz up my listings so that they look a little more professional. 

Thank you for your response and all your help!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

While I do find that most of my items tend to sit until the last few days of the auction, I am still selling steadily. But unlike you my IDs average about 1000 items, so there is a constant turnover of listings approaching the end (or beginning) of their cycle.

The advantage of the 30 day listing, especially if it is also Good Til Cancelled, is the low labour cost.

On this ID, I sell vintage SF paperbacks and they are going to be slow sellers. I often wait two years for a sale. (I buy low and sell high and at a nickel a book per month I still make a profit). 

I confess I had not thought about the restrictions on new sellers.

I like Sell Similar when I am redoing a listing because eBay treats it as new. But I can see how that would work against a seller with restrictions.

Do you have a ME page? Do you have your own website? You can't put your URL into a listing, but you can put it on your ME page and you can put a link to your ME page in the listing.

When your restrictions are lifted, you may find a Store is your best option. You can list quantities and the costs are low. Also by selling at Fixed Price and GTC, you serve the impulse buyer.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply