cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Ebay as a seller, I need help .

Hi.  I have been buying on Ebay for years. But now I would like to be a seller and I am a little lost.

I am confused with shipping. I know I can use Ebay to print labels or go to the post office. Shall I go out and search for a scale to weigh my items so I can use ebay to print labels out.?? Or shall I go to the post office everytime? How do I know how much to charge for shipping? What if the buyer wants insurance??

I am so new with listing procedures. I have one item listed . Not much traffic.  I don't know why my pictures are not able to click to enlarge.

Please help me with sellilng. I even looked for an ebay course in my area but with no luck.

Thank you so much.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

mindybellalucy wrote:

Hi.  I have been buying on Ebay for years. But now I would like to be a seller and I am a little lost.

I am confused with shipping. I know I can use Ebay to print labels or go to the post office

Shall I go out and search for a scale to weigh my items so I can use ebay to print labels out.?? Or shall I go to the post office everytime?.

buy a small scale either here or go to stamps.com sign up for the free trail, pay the shipping and handling on the 5 pound digital scale, use it to weigh what ever your selling, print from ebay the tracking is included and uploaded imedately

How do I know how much to charge for shipping? What if the buyer wants insurance??
ask them about insurance, check the prices for the type of shipping you use, include your materials in the handling charge when you print there are options for everything, just a matter of a check in a box

I am so new with listing procedures. I have one item listed . Not much traffic.  I don't know why my pictures are not able to click to enlarge.

you have to pay for that, its 35 cents, most dont bother. it depends on what your selling, list the full 12 pictures from every angle, list everything truthfully and with full disclousure if there are flaws. traffic is due to rank and catagory, check your title, compare to successful listings.

Please help me with sellilng. I even looked for an ebay course in my area but with no luck.

trial and error will be your best teacher, keep trying check prices using the "sold" filter and "completed listings" that will give you a good judge for price of what your selling and how to price it, read the forums (discussion boards), read the forums ..read read read, google your question it will save you a LOT of time (example: how do I sell and ship on ebay" ) google will bring all answers to you faster than trying to sift through them here., save your money you dont need a course.

Thank you so much.

you're welcome

Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I truly appreciate all the info you have given me. This helps me a lot and gives me a head start. Thank you so much for your time.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

anytime, and you're welcome  If you need anything or have a question please just ask, reply here and I get the notice or message me, I really am glad to help . Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I used to go to the post office to ship but I now use eBay's shipping...it saves me a little bit of money and every cent helps! I went back over my past shipments to see what the weight was and use that. My items all weigh the same so it was easy and I also did this with mutiple items in one envelope.

I charge a flat shipping charge. This charge includes bubble envelope, printing label, tape and delivery confirmation. My only problem with this is I have had negative comments(no negative feedback though) on the charge. I refuse to pay to ship the product which to me includes shipping materials. When I have had negative comments I always respond to the buyer and show them the exact cost of shipping that item. Have never heard back from anyone but I just want them to know what the actual cost is. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Ahh the shipping dilemma,  Man Frustrated 

They won’t care what actual cost is ever,

I also feel this part inside me; it says to charge for the shipping BUT when I/we do they can ding the shipping star on DSR's although eBay allows more room in this area I have decided better to just exclusively ship free in most every case unless Im running an auction then I will absolute add 3.99 to 5.00 for shipping just in case the item goes low at least it wont be shipping for free to them too.

I have searched some successful sellers who always charge shipping no matter what and they seem to do fine with 100% ratings but if I do they hit me with shipping is too much, I've been told 1.69 is too much... IMHO most auction winners are wanting everything for .99 cents. I try to just post BIN items and I incorporate the price into the product and that takes the option of that star away from them.

I also do like you and I recycle every envelope, tissue paper I can, I don't print packing slips, it cost me paper and ink I don't need to use. Shipping will bite you always but unless its a huge weight add it to either the starting auction price or the buy it now.

I do think it brings more sales to say free shipping even if its in the product price have tried to do it both ways and I don't overcharge I never have, in fact its undercharged but with new fee's on shipping along with all the other fee's I need to re-think the cost and compute it accurately by envelope, bubble, tissue, ink, tape, gas to deliver it to the post office which in my case is 25 miles one way. I would say that would be about 7.70 for each item just to break even, customers wont like that and will shop with someone who says FREE shipping. I have to bundle things and just add that back into the cost of the item to get that extra perk "Free shipping" on my listing ...

Some sellers just make it straight policy to include it, I've tried that and it slowed buying so much it was really hurting me.. Am just at a loss in all over right now.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hello,

1. No you don't need to go every time. You may ask them, a shipping agent will come to you and take your item.
2. Prepare an excel with fields like ebay expenses, shipping charges, shipping expenses and calculate the shipping accordingly.Ask your shipping agent to share you a sheet of charges, It will help you to quote the exact shipping.

Do not worry, List some of the items with turbo liter( free tool that ebay provides for listing), At starting keep the prices low. you can move for No profit no loss at starting. Promote your listing, add more and more keywords toyour page. Upload more and more images of high resolution.

Do write me for further queries, I will be pleased to assist you in selling.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply