cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Offer Free Return Shipping to a buyer, and then actually do it??

Hello everyone!

I understand the concept of "Seller pays return shipping"--you just type it in. lol

But if a buyer wants to return an item that I've offered free return shipping on....how is that done?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Normally, buyers pay for return shipping and when the return tracking shows delivered back to the seller, sellers refund all original monies paid.

If you wish to reimburse your buyer for their return, send an email stating as soon as the widget is returned, you will refund the amount they originally paid and then, use 'send money' to reimburse them for their return cost.

If you do this with every return, take in to consideration, how much money you will be losing....If the listing was your error, a good seller would reimburse. Sort of depends on why a buyer is shipping something back.

A scenario to consider: If you buy something from a B&M store, get home and find it defective, the store will not reimburse you for your time, effort and gas money to drive back for a refund.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I agree it comes down to 'fault'. If you sold a red sweater and shipped a blue one, of course you should reimburse the return shipping.

If you sold a red sweater and the customer is complaining that it is scarlet when she wanted cherry, she should cover return shipping.

It would also be a question of how much of return shipping you would cover. The customer will want to use Delivery Confirmation, but I think the seller is entitled to say which DC service he will cover. If a $10 DC service is slow but sure, why should the seller pay $30 for overnight?

And of course, no refund until receipt. Including refund of return postage.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

katzcats-

First, thanks for the info on how to reimburse buyer shipping costs.

Second, I see your point on the reasons why this option should be offered, or not.

I wondered if it would be an effective "selling point". eBay says that people prefer the option to return items as opposed to No Returns, but most people won't ever return an item anyway. (Maybe 70% of all transactions never end in a return, but can't remember the exact percentage.)  So it may be more appealing to have a "free return shipping!" option-at least that was my reasoning.

So I will probably trial run this option on certain auctions and see what the percentage turns out to be.

And femmefan1946 makes a good point about cost limits for return shipping.

Thanks for responding and sharing your knowledge.

Denise

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

femmefan1946-

Wow, what an excellent point-that could get scary real quick!  What if they found a fire engine red sweater somewhere else and wanted their money returned as fast as possible, so they sent it the quickest (and most expensive) way? Because hey they aren't paying for return shipping.

I wouldn't have thought of that at all. The few auctions that I offer free return shipping will have a limit set on the shipping cost we are willing to reimburse.

The more I learn, the more I realize what I don't know.....thank goodness for these Groups and the kind people who are willing to share their knowledge. One of them being you!

Thanks

Denise

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

ALL SELLERS MUST KEEP THIS IN MIND: MY RESPONSES IN RED

Important implications regarding returns

If you’re using the hassle-free returns process now, you won’t see any significant changes as a result of this new process. For all other sellers:

• All return requests on eBay will be initiated through My eBay and handled through the same returns process so you no longer need to manage individual return requests through email. You’ll still be able to communicate with your buyer at any time through the eBay member-to-member communication system. If the buyer claims it is not as described(and they will to get free shipping) Ebay charges the cost of return shipping to your invoice or they will add it in with the refund.
  • You’ll still be able to choose whether to offer returns in your returns policy, and will have the option to accept or decline a return request when it is not aligned with the terms of your returns policy.A false statement. You have to offer returns to be top rated plus. You cannot decline a return, again the buyer can claim item not as described.
  • You’ll now have the option of offering a replacement if your buyer doesn’t receive an item or there’s an issue with the item you sent originally. 
  • You’ll be able to ask eBay to step in and help to resolve a return issue—for example, when you wish to dispute a buyer’s return for an item not as described. Ebay always sides with the buyer...always. An honest eBay rep told me the seller protection was basically a lie. The only recourse a seller has is to file an electronic lawsuit against the customer. 
  • As announced this March, any return request for an item not as described will count as a defect beginning with the August 20 performance evaluation. Buyers do not read descriptions...small sellers are going to be scr*wed
  • Sellers will be responsible for return shipping when there’s an issue with the item or the item wasn’t as described. See above
  • Starting early next year and throughout 2015, the features and benefits of the current hassle-free returns process will begin to be added automatically for more US sellers:
    • An eBay return label provided automatically to the buyer requesting a return
    • Tracking uploaded automatically with the eBay return label so you can track the status of the return—and see when it will be delivered back to you
    • Assurance that the return shipping cost will not exceed the original shipping price if you used eBay labels for the original shipment
    • Configurable automation rules to streamline your business practices—for instance, buyer gets a refund instead of a return if the item is less than $10 I want the choice of having my item back
    • Starting in mid-September, automatic refund to the buyer after 6 business days once the item has been delivered to the seller and as long as the seller has not asked eBay to step in and help ok, I agree with this one
  • By the 2015 holiday season, all eligible domestic returns on eBay will be hassle-free returns. You can opt in to hassle-free returns today to get these additional benefits right away. Why are they making this mandantory? I have no problems refunding money. The host site should not involve itself in the relationship between a customer and a seller unless they are asked to step in. They also should not be so onesided. 
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@mrobind42 wrote:

ALL SELLERS MUST KEEP THIS IN MIND: MY RESPONSES IN RED

• Configurable automation rules to streamline your business practices—for instance, buyer gets a refund instead of a return if the item is less than $10 I want the choice of having my item back

Read this again carefully! It says what it says! That the automation rules are CONFIGURABLE. The $10 threshold is, as stated, an example (ie; "for instance". I just hope that they are configurable by the seller!

——————————————o00o——°(_)°——o00o————————————————

Message 7 of 7
latest reply