cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling collectable stamps using eBay international platform

I’ve never used EBay International for selling my stamps and I’m looking for feedback on experiences using the platform.  Has it worked and would you recommend it or has your experience been bad?  I’m not a business…just trying to sell off what I have with the least amount of aggravation.  Any advice on selling through eBay’s international shipping hub would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Selling collectable stamps using eBay international platform

@dealchaser8 wrote:

I’ve never used EBay International for selling my stamps and I’m looking for feedback on experiences using the platform.  Has it worked and would you recommend it or has your experience been bad?  I’m not a business…just trying to sell off what I have with the least amount of aggravation.  Any advice on selling through eBay’s international shipping hub would be appreciated.  Thanks.

IMO, using eIS is going to make shipping super expensive for your international buyers. I ship little stamp lots to Australia for $4 (and assume the risk on small value items), but if using eIS it would cost the buyer $15-20 for shipping. Also there's issues with combining orders, I don't know all the details or if it's been fixed, but it previously was difficult for someone to buy many items if shipped through eIS.

C.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@dealchaser8 

@sin-n-dex 

This is from a former thread from @stampguy01 --

"Ebay keeps repeatedly sending me invitations to use Ebay International Shipping. It does not work for stamps because the partners they use,  like ASENDIA,  prohibit stamps as a shipment item.  One of my shipments using Ebay International Shipping was returned to me after I spent $18 in shipping charges. I tried to get a refund from EBAY but they declined. They said I should read the Terms and Conditions of their partner and note that stamps are prohibited. A bit disingenuous of Ebay to be promoting Ebay International Shipping to me and other stamp shippers!! I would appreciate knowing experiences of other stamp vendors in this regard."

So I guess the answer is "No" for using eBay International Shipping for sending postage stamps.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Yes that is correct. I will not use Ebay International shipping.  Only use USPS International Shipping even though it is. more expensive. No hassles with USPS. Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

It is illegal to send goods/sales by lettermail internationally.

And since Registration is only reliable domestically, international tracking is not a useful choice.

That being said, stamps and covers are ideal for international sales, in part because philatelists are very very honest.

About 2/3 of my sales are international, including to the USA* , and I track those shipments very rarely.

If an item is very valuable, I still use Free Shipping USA and Canada, and a small Flat Rate for overseas.  If it is bulky, like the philatelic literature Ihave been listing recently, I list on my home site with Calculated Shipping and use Tracked Packet.

If you use untracked letter rates for mailing your stamps, use Cookie Jar Insurance.

Include in your pricing a small amount as a self-insurance premium again "loss" in transit, or any other reason a transaction might fail.

Most sellers using CJI  report it as a profit centre rather than a cost.

*Like sin-n-dex I live in Canada.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply