cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help learning about stamps!

I bought a huge amount of stamps. They were first prints put on post cards some had addresses on them and some did not. I have a lot of them and I do not even know where to start with giving them a value. I tried searching for some and obviously found them here on ebay but I want to learn more about them and how to value them to post on eBay.  Some of them that didnt have an address I couldn't find them anywhere online. Thank you!

PM Gaming and Collectables

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Need help learning about stamps!

An inexpensive way to get a Scott catalogue is to search ebay for a digital stamp catalogue.  These are generally less than $10, but are usually a few years out of date.  Regardless, you will be able to get a fair idea of their value and catalogue number.  If you want an up to date catalogue, it will probably cost you in $100-$150 range.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You can look up the stamps on the Colnect Stamps Online catalog for free to get the numbers. Then look up on eBay to get idea on what they are going for. If they are not listed then you have to research further to see that they are not illegal stamps or fakes. Good luck!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Most stamps that were used on post cards from 1903 onward are very common stamps. Used copies are a few cents, but most collectors already have one.  The value here would be in the postcards, or use on envelope (called covers).  People collect topics of cards..  may it be comic cards, holidays, a specific artist, an era or their home state or town.  I send a lot back to their home town!   

Common cards will bring $1 or two.  There are sellers who will list them for $5.99 etc, and let them sit in their stores (aka clogging up eBay!) until they find that special buyer who wants an old card from their hometown!  I once found a 1940s postal card with an ad for my grandfather's store. I wanted that one at any price!  I bid high and fortunately nobody bid against me.

Sending America's collectibles where they belong, one auction at a time!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Your local public library will likely have the Scott Standard Postage Stamp Catalogue.

USA has it's own volume but if you have many foreign stamps you might watch for the Scott Classic, which covers the world up to 1949/end of British Empire.

Read page 15 and 16 - the page numbers may vary, but they tell you how to read the catalogue. There is a full page illustration of a GeorgeVI Nyasaland stamps which illustrates the points of description.

Stamp collecting is a hobby, like golf, and not an investment. Most collections are worth very little, like last year's golf club membership. The value was in the fun of collecting and learning.

The prices in Scott are what you would pay for the First Day Cover (or in this case postcard)  in a full service retail shop. And the minimum values are for the labour of identifying and packaging the stamp, not the stamp itself.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Most covers, including first day covers, don't get much. As a previous response stated, it's more of a hobby than investment. I sold a bulk of my dad's collection about 5 years ago  - mostly all China/Taiwan post WW2. He had about every set.  Those individual stamps and covers can get a decent price, but the research is very time consuming even with the Scott cat. due to so many variations and overprints. And apparently serious collectors look also for the many different cancellations. I did sell a STAMPLESS cover for $4000 due to the cancellation .I had no idea what it was - just pure luck.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@pmgamingandcollectables 

Thank you for posting this.

I have purchased a lot of postcards and was wondering whether the stamp or the postcard had the value.

I remember a lot of the stamps were early 1900's, but I thought there were even earlier on the postcards from Switzerland. 

I got to book mark this for future reference when I find those cards again. There in 2 shoe boxes, but who doesn't have a lot of shoe boxes.  😉  😄

Again, thank you for posting the question.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply