cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search Result Manipulation

In the card collecting hobby, people common use the terms "non-auto" in the description.  Everyone does this in card collecting.  The one and only time that I tried, eBay sent me a threatening e-mail with a special violation code saying that they believed I was manipulating search results by saying "non-auto" in the description.  No, actually, I was just making it clear that it's not worth as much as an a card with an auto.  People actually search for this term because they are looking for a good deal.  There are literally millions of examples of this in use in the card collecting category.  It's common anywhere that cards are sold online.  But I am not allowed to do what everyone else is allowed to do without being threatened with false accusations.  This is just discrimination and harassment plain and simple.  If you have a rule, apply it to everyone or no one.  Don't pick on the small sellers just because it's easy and you lose very little.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

What precisely does the term, "non-auto," mean to those in the card collecting community?

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

First time I heard of it but I'm assuming non autographed.

There have been many instances of people being called out on language used when listing an item while there are literally hundreds of the same listings with the terminology.

Either a bot doing random checks caught it or a competitor reported the listing.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

As a buyer I do NOT want to see your "non auto" listing.  If I wanted a card without an auto I would search for a regular card. If I wanted an autographed card I would search for an autographed card. That is definitely search manipulation that you need to avoid doing in the future. Buyers do not like it and it has nothing to do with you being a small seller.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

was just making it clear that it's not worth as much as an a card with an auto.

yep, seem to be over 11,000 with the term............  probably a few more than the number of speeders that pass after a cop gives YOU the ticket............

Maybe ebay will get to the rest/maybe they have gotten to some, but whatever you do don't try to list with that again, or they may suspend you. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

One of my biggest pet peeves about ebay is their lack of consistancy.

But mainly it is getting all upset about the words non auto, but still allowing people to put the word diamond in the title, when the stone is anything but.

They need to start concentrating on the blatant first before micromanaging the absurd.

You do not like non auto, block those two words.

I cannot delete the word diamond or do anything to filter out all the CZ listed under diamond

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Most likely, ebay did not randomly flag your listing.   More likely is someone offering a similiar card reported your listing to ebay to minimize their competition.  

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I used to be on a message board like that with people reporting each other for anything they  did not like to thin out the herd.

IMO, people who report listings for nefarious reasons should be subject to a penalty as well.

It is not fair to fellow sellers and it keeps them from getting to the real scams.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Sports cards is one of those categories..........

"Non-auto" is obviously a bogus term, and frankly, rather mundane.  Any decently posted pic oughta be able to clearly show no signature.  

The bigger concerns are the "1952 Mickey Mantle rookie card" listings that go into a description something along the lines of "my grandma owned this, not sure if it's real, not authenticated, listing as a reprint or unknown as per ebay rules, etc, etc.".  Less than a snowballs chance of it actually being real.  Provides for a good laugh; unbelieveable people STILL bid on these.  

Busy backdoor here at ebay shangri la.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@ivorywire559 wrote:

In the card collecting hobby, people common use the terms "non-auto" in the description.  Everyone does this in card collecting.  The one and only time that I tried, eBay sent me a threatening e-mail with a special violation code saying that they believed I was manipulating search results by saying "non-auto" in the description.  No, actually, I was just making it clear that it's not worth as much as an a card with an auto.  People actually search for this term because they are looking for a good deal.  There are literally millions of examples of this in use in the card collecting category.  It's common anywhere that cards are sold online.  But I am not allowed to do what everyone else is allowed to do without being threatened with false accusations.  This is just discrimination and harassment plain and simple.  If you have a rule, apply it to everyone or no one.  Don't pick on the small sellers just because it's easy and you lose very little.

How do you know that they didn't get the same warning and just chose to ignore it?

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@pantlandia wrote:

@ivorywire559 wrote:

How do you know that they didn't get the same warning and just chose to ignore it?

I doubt ebay just warns and does not follow up.  If the offending auctions were left up one would think ebay would remove them.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Consistency?  Ebay ? How bout this. I have been buying & selling since 1998. 

Ebay 1998 - 2013ish

" no file photos,  no shared photos, etc 

ONLY STOCK PHOTOS OF ACTU/ITEM BEING SOLD

2013ish ebay partners with Beckett,  who produces  BBS. Beckett Business Solutions 

-BBS uploads all stock  photos with basic title, for packages at $299-$1999 a month. Several  problems with this company & software AND  Beckett has several lawsuits and complaints with BBB all over US.

- Coincidently there are 2 sellers in card category that dominate since 2013ish. 2 sellers over, 16 million listings !!! One of the sellers invented the software that is being used. 

Tell me again how and why ebay cares at all about anybody? These 2 sellers bring in more $$$ to ebay........wonder why no more free listings ?? These 2 sellers added 16 million monthly listings in last 4 years.....

BBS sellers are learning that dead inventory is just that....constantly having to load new inventory.....just for a majority to sit and not sell

Anyhow You thinkel ebay cares about words in titles when they contribute to marketplace fraud ?? EXAMPLE : All fake rookie cards circulating on ebay for 12 months ++

How bout them " custom " basement made hideous way of ripping someone off with a homemade baseball, i mean ART CARD ??? Yeah I'm  sure HOF LEGENDS ♡♡♡♡ the idea of an ebay pro making thousands  $$$  off their nsme & identity thru fake baseball cards....

Message 12 of 12
latest reply