cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need info on authenticating Nile Kinnick autograph

Hi everyone- my brother and I are wanting to sell a Nile Kinnick autograph that belonged to my dad.  We don't have any experience in this, so I had some questions.  I searched this board and see mentioned places that authenticate.  Do you send the autograph to them, or do they do it from a photograph?   Who would you guys suggest to do the authentication?   Thanks!  Martha.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I'd say use Beckett, you can download a submission form here -  http://beckett-authentication.com/submission_form

I beleive you can now open a free account on their site to track your items progress or get updates. I don't know what item you have his auto on but they typically take 30 days unless you pay a premium to get it done faster. Haven't sent cards to them in a while but they've always done a great job for me.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

First off you did not mention what type what type of item you have that is autographed. A photo or something of interest would be great along with the condition of the item. I ask because I personally would use a major sports auction house.  Anything signed by Kinnick would be considered extremely rare and major sports auction houses would love to get it. They can authenticate it and bring you the most money along with the marketing needed to bring the serious buyers. A few of the big ones would be Heritage, Lelands or Goldin. I this were mine and I was ready to sell I couldn't get on the phone fast enough to one of these auction houses! 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I will try to get a photo of it today.  It's not in great condition.  I haven't seen it for awhile, but from memory I believe the autograph was on a larger piece of paper and cut out and glued into a scrapbook with a program.  I think the autograph is in pencil.  Thanks for the help!  I will put up a photo soon.  Thanks!  Martha.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

nile.JPGkinnick.jpg

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Last photo is a letter my dad wrote about the autograph.  Thanks- Martha.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Also- my brother contacted Heritage, thanks so much for the help!!!!

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

OK.......new question.  My brother thinks we should sell it locally without authentication.  I'm leaning towards disagreeing with him.  Somehow I see the authentication as a safety net to us.  What do you guys say?  Also- being an ebayer, I'd kind of like the excitement of it going to auction.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I like your instincts better. Selling locally with no authentication doesn't sound like the best way to maximize profits. What did Heritage say? I still think selling in auction everything related in a package deal including your dads letter is the best way to go. The auto looks good and these don't show up everyday.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Well, little sister lost that battle.  My brother sold it and is meeting the guy this weekend to hand it over.    Oh, well.  Thanks for all of the advice!  You guys are awesome!  Martha.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Nothing wrong with selling it outright locally if that is what your brother was comfortable with. Without people selling locally pickers like myself would never find anything. I suspect the buyer will do well with this item because of the rarity. Would have liked to see the whole page that the item was signed on. I still believe a sports auction would have been the best way to go. Super rare items can often surprise and a former Heisman Trophy winner of his status would have fallen in that category IMO.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

WOW!!!! Curious what it went for

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

My guess is this would have sold in a major auction for at least $4000 on up. You never know at auction. Even in pencil and glued in a scrapbook - someone would have paid up. Only the seller and the buyer can tell us in this case, but I suspect the buyer got it much cheaper.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Right I'm curios what it went for to? I bet it got around 600-700 for it, if that!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply