cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inherited Dealer Collection of Cards

Short version: My father-in-law dealt in sports cards at trade shows, etc. My husband inherited his entire inventory, but he died in January of this year. I estimate about 5000 cards. There are cards from 1974 to 1978, a box of Collector's Choice Premier Edition 1989, Boxes sorted by player, and boxes sorted by year. there's a collection of MLB Showdown from 2004.  I think the latest cards are 2011. I have not yet reached the bottom boxes, so I don't know how early they go. There's also a box of NBA cards and a box of Nascar cards. Most boxes hold four rows of cards. the boxes are heavy duty and made for their purpose. Some boxes the cards are all in sleeves.  Some boxes have no sleeves. There are a couple of cards in cases.

What do I do with all of this? Due to my husband's death I have to downsize and really don't want to take these boxes with me.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Hi Barke, it's too bad our hosts' meddling moderators all but closed down the community forums here a while back -- five years ago you'd have had a dozen helpful expert opinions before last night was out.  Hopefully they'll chime in in the next few days.  

From a very inexpert point of view:  the early-mid-'70s baseball have some collector value, '80s-'90s stuff generally less so.  Pre-'80s cards of star players have some value, post-'80s generally little, except for rookie cards of those stars.  When we say "some" value, we don't mean "a lot."  It would be helpful (for you) if you had some knowledge of players in whichever sport, to help you idntify which cards might carry a premium.   Since your husband (sympathies on your loss) was a dealer, it's a fair guess that the cards he kept in sleeves have more value than those he didn't.  

Other guys on board here can tell you some specific cards to look for (rookie cards of Derek Jeter, Ken Griffey, Michael Jordan, &c').  Otherwise your best route would probably be putting them up for auction here somewhat as they're already grouped ("unopened box of 1976 Topps baseball," "unopened box of 1989 Collector's Choice Premier Edition," "assortment of LeBron James cards," &c'), and "letting the market decide." 

Anything that doesn't sell at even a low price can be donated to a youth sports league, AmVets, Goodwill, or another charity or good cause.    

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

The cards from the 1970's certainly should have good value.  If you have a lot of time, I would recommend looking the cards up individually on eBay to find their worth.  This could help you find out what to price them when listing them and in the end would enhance how much cash you could receive for them.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply