cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GMA GRADED CARDS

I have read previous discussions about GMA graded cards and have some personal experience to share. 

I have been involved with the sportscard hobby since 2000. Like many of you, I have learned how to examine cards and what to look for to get a good idea of approximate grade. As we all know though, grading buy a human will be subjective and error prone and sadly nowadays influenced by large dealer submissions to get better grades,yes that is how it works! I know it can be hard to have people see things with an open mind when they have all been brain washed into thinking a certain way as with in this case grading companies.

Like I mentioned earlier, yes there have been "grading" companies out there that have no business in this hobby. I have also  seen like many of you out there mistakes made on ,in my case ,PSA cards not graded correctly but yet people still think they're god and forgive THIER mistakes and move on. I have seen my share of bad cards out there as many of you also have. I have submitted to PSA & BGS as many of you also have and paid the price! We have all seen grading companies come and go but the big 3 have remained. I guess it seems to most people out there no one in the world is capable of grading a card but them. GET REAL PEOPLE! So what you may be saying, (I'm talking to those who think about quitting thier job and going out on thier own because they think they can do the same thing) it's not possible.

Why do people continue to also pay $20 to $35 to have a card examined? That's just ridiculous!  I had purchased over a months time a large amount of some rookie cards from packs that I had planned to go through and submit what I thought were my best chances at good grades. They were 2010 thru 2014 modern cards, base and refractors. After careful consideration, I ended up with 47 cards I felt good about. Ok, now I thought who to send them to? Yes I thought about PSA and BCCG. After considering the costs, I couldn't see spending at least over $700 to almost a $1000 PLUS shipping back just to have my cards examined in a minute or so by a so called "expert" and returned to me with thier unquestionable opinion. Why do you think you read about people re-submitting cards and getting a different grades back! This is all just a big expensive scam that I was a part of once.

I currently have some GMA graded cards in my collection which I love so I thought to myself, let's maybe try them and see how they are.  I packed them up carefully and shipped them off.......nervously!  GMA states on thier website 5 business day service, so I thought, why not.  By tracking they recieved them on Monday December 1st and I had my order back by Wednesday December 10th! Talk about great service! My totaI cost with shipping was $115.

Opened the box and they were proffesionally packed to perfection. Now for the moment of truth, what grades did I get back?  Surprisingly , they don't just give out 10's like people may think. I got back 27 10's out of 47. The rest were 8's 8.5's and 9's. In my opinion they were very accurate and even surprised me some.  Bottom line,  those of you doubters out there want to try them and see for yourself, you have nothing to lose but may gain peace of mind that just because they aren't the big 3, don't have the massive overhead that the others do (which believe me you pay for) and have chosen to run thier company efficiently, doesn't mean they can't do a good job. 

We all need to be open minded sometimes that just because something is different, it doesn't mean they are bad or inferior.  Just wanted to share this with all of you out there as to maybe help someone who thinks that PSA and BGS are the only options and that you can also have your favorite cards graded fairly and accurately and that this hobby doesn't have to break the bank.  I will never use the big 3 again. I look forward to seeing what you all have to say about this and maybe hope to hear maybe some of you give it a shot and are pleasantly surprised that there are good options out there.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: GMA GRADED CARDS

GMA cards are maybe the best.  The get them out fast, the Holders are maybe the best in the business with clear descriptions and cheap.  I paid $300 for 100 cards and they came back in less then 10 days. During that time I received updates on arrival and tracking plus received a personal call verifying the order.   I have also sent in to both PSA and Beckett.  Sometimes their budget  prices don't arrive for 45 days.  Grading is inconsistant re: PSA sent vending 1979 Nolan ryan cards I personally pulled and got a 7.  Can't happen folks.  Beckett 's product is horrible in that bulky holder.   PSA is known to have favorite customer who get the good grades.  It is a dangerous business with so much inconsistency and both PSA and Beckett are guilty of that.  GMA is the best and have changed recently.  Nice product fast service consistent grading and no I did not get all 10s and was disappointed but the product was excellent.  

Message 31 of 36
latest reply

I go back to the days when collecting was a hobby.  Get the cards you like, not only focus on "what's it gonna be worth"  PSA  created a demand and a small network did it and thats fine.  Folks pic what they want to spend their money on and thats fine.  I like to focus on affordable rookies and so on.  GMA works great for me.

Message 32 of 36
latest reply

I just sent off my first 20 card lot to GMA to try it out.  They received on Thursday and as of Sunday I have not heard a word, phone call or email.  That doesn’t concern me, but seeing others say they communicate I’m not seeing it yet.  I personally just like the GMA as an inexpensive way to slab my cards.  I hope they stick around, I hope I get my first batch back!  Lol

Message 33 of 36
latest reply

Who gives a **bleep** about any of the grading companies. They all are companies back by government to stick there fkn greedy hands In a hobby to take some of your money while trying to enjoy it. The moment people make money or have something good going on there are grading companies to **bleep** it up. Have fun enjoy your cards and sell to people that actually will appreciate the card n not devalue it 300 dollars for a little fkn fray. Lol. If I micky mantle 1952 with a tiny creese can hold its value so can modern day cards. Come on people man the **bleep** up keep the hobbies within our circle and out of grading hands. Share n get this **bleep** out smh. Today we have plenty of technology to get this out n realize we aren't stupid lol we know what our fkn cards are worth without grading dumbass companies **bleep** us. Fk em. In time it will reach big auctioneers, and collectors and grading will be obsolete and history erased from the past. The hell with this look around open your **bleep** eyes n be open minded. Because if Ruth, mantle, Wagner was in your hands noone would give a **bleep** the condition of it because that little tickle you feel... History n meaning! That is priceless. N people out there who love this will pay regardless the stupid ass grades smh

Message 34 of 36
latest reply

Who gives a **bleep** about any of the grading companies. They all are companies back by government to stick there fkn greedy hands In a hobby to take some of your money while trying to enjoy it. The moment people make money or have something good going on there are grading companies to **bleep** it up. Have fun enjoy your cards and sell to people that actually will appreciate the card n not devalue it 300 dollars for a little fkn fray. Lol. If I micky mantle 1952 with a tiny creese can hold its value so can modern day cards. Come on people man the **bleep** up keep the hobbies within our circle and out of grading hands. Share n get this **bleep** out smh. Today we have plenty of technology to get this out n realize we aren't stupid lol we know what our fkn cards are worth without grading dumbass companies **bleep** us. Fk em. In time it will reach big auctioneers, and collectors and grading will be obsolete and history erased from the past. The hell with this look around open your **bleep** eyes n be open minded. Because if Ruth, mantle, Wagner was in your hands noone would give a **bleep** the condition of it because that little tickle you feel... History n meaning! That is priceless. N people out there who love this will pay regardless the stupid ass grades smh
Message 35 of 36
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 36 of 36
latest reply