cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fanatics Purchased Topps Tonight for $500 Million. Thoughts & eBay impact?

So tonight Fanatics purchased Topps for $500 million. It should be noted that they were going to be purchased for 1.3 Billion by a SPAC company prior to Fanatics swindling the MLB license away.

Now they get both for $800 million less.

Fantatics is not a stranger to mass production and wants to handle more of a direct-to-consumer approach for cards. Which means you won't see them in Walmart, Target or wherever else if they stick to that outlook.

That means no flippers. The breakers will survive. And of course time will tell -  but what impact do you think this will have on the hobby as a whole as well as eBay resellers?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Cost to us will be even more. They will try to push ebay sellers out next with VERO moves to corner every cent they can. They are not here to lose money.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Cost to us will be even more. They will try to push ebay sellers out next with VERO moves to corner every cent they can. They are not here to lose money.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

What’s Topps ? And tbh the only reason I buy anything other than Football is because it’s left on shelf and it’s the easiest way to buy a sports card if you take that out of in my face , I won’t go look for it , now football ... I’ll look for it.  Good luck fanatics ,  no body cares . 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@no-plain-white-envelopes wrote:

I absolutely agree. They are going to centralize grading, ripping, reselling, anything. I am sure they will have their own marketplace as well, basically eliminating eBay sales which will probably be for mostly pre 2022 items. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@thekccardshop816 wrote:

What’s Topps ? And tbh the only reason I buy anything other than Football is because it’s left on shelf and it’s the easiest way to buy a sports card if you take that out of in my face , I won’t go look for it , now football ... I’ll look for it.  Good luck fanatics ,  no body cares . 

They are coming to take over the NFL and NBA in 2025 or 2026 they already secured the agreement so get ready for them to hit you as well !

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

My only concerns are based on three things, cost, quality control, and getting the hits out to the consumers. I have been a buyer for a long time and will continue to buy as long as they play straight up with the people that support them.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply