cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usps lost item, buyer opened case

So I sold a pretty high priced item ($200) on January 24, shipped the next day and even got signature confirmation and made sure I got a receipt from the post office that I dropped it off. It's been 16 days and the delivery status has not updated saying it's still "in transit." Well, buyer just opened a case. I gave her a tracking number, even filed a claim on the usps website. What's the chance of me having to refund even though I have proof that I dropped off the item (receipt)? 

A few years ago this happened and I lost the case. Sigh it's looking like I'm about to be out $200, ebay CS won't give me a clear answer either. 

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: usps lost item, buyer opened case

You have to know how to protect your sales before you start selling here. I often see how some sellers complain how it's buyer-centric on eBay (it HAS to be), but if a member is not aware of policies, does not know how to protect themselves in disputes, or is not willing to take risks in business, then maybe selling here is not for that person. Leaving negative feedback for buyers is so....very irrelevant. Like...What would you have done, leave a neg for a buyer who didn't receive your shipment? Lawrd.
Message 31 of 43
latest reply

The same thing has happened to me twice and I was advised by ebay to pay the people even though I was in no way at fault.. The post office is not responsible unless you have insurance or have mailed it priority. I use priority whenever I can for just this reason.

Message 32 of 43
latest reply

If you call usps 800 number youll have to wait forever like you said. I call my po directly or go up there and talk to them. If its something my pist master cannot solve they hace usps

Message 33 of 43
latest reply

If you call the 800 number youll wait forever. I call my local po directly or go up there. If my post master cant help me then they have usps call me and i dont have to wait on hold. 

Message 34 of 43
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Was just refunded for a first class package, Lost who know where they are.?  Was refunded last month for lost package. Was sent in a envelope  with  2 stamps, But listing said First class, It did show up damaged and in a different usps envelope a few weeks later.

I have a package coming now Paid 4 dollars shipping for  Pillow shams, Just noticed when shipping has not updated it was shipped media mail.

I have all My listing listed at economy shipping, Even though I ship with in 1 day,First class or priority mail 6 days a week. None of them arriving on time. I did have 2 last week arrive in 2 days but they are the only ones in over 2 months not Delayed in shipping. I also have a package being delivered because they only sent part of it last week, Who know Seller errors, Shipping errors, Postal errors? This is nuts!....

My one and only Package I have ever shipped Lost in 8 years . Was about 8 years ago a set of encyclopedias, 1 large box made it but the other 20 lbs box has never been found to this day!

Message 35 of 43
latest reply

Sorry to say Ebay is for the buyer, they have not found that without the seller there is no Ebay and the scary part is the do not care!!!!

Message 36 of 43
latest reply

If a buyer sayes they did not get the item they probley did.Have them check there shiping proider if live in apt building have check there manger.

I notticed this happends alot

Message 37 of 43
latest reply

Usps tends look stuff so ezly.The only yime i use them when its 6 oz or less per item.

Fedex is a good place to being. I deffently recomend them. I also use ups as well.

There clams so much ezer and  ez to do there no waiting ext.

Message 38 of 43
latest reply

Just thought I'd update, I didn't give up on this and wasn't about to be out $200 but I mostly thank my super patient buyer. I opened a case with USPS and after a month they finally found the item and it was delivered. Case closed.

Message 39 of 43
latest reply

You are very lucky indeed!!!  So glad it worked out.

That buyer was beyond patient.  They could've escalated the claim anytime after 3 business days - the $200 refund would've been forced, you would've lost your selling fees, and you would've gotten an Unresolved by Seller defect (the worst kind)

I would never include a Media Mail option for a $200 book.  It would go Priority.  That would be their only choice.  (Okay - I might include UPS Ground - but that's inconvenient for me)  Media Mail is just too slow a service and the packages sit around as the lowest priority shipment.  

Message 40 of 43
latest reply

Just saw this, considering I've sold many books here via media mail I didn't think of it as a problem and no one said anything about negative feedback, you can't do that for a buyer anyways. I'm aware of ways to protect myself in disputes such as this and took all the steps that's why this ended in my favor. So you can't just say maybe selling here is not for that person when an incident like this happens once a blue moon.
Message 41 of 43
latest reply

@haileylngwrote:
I'm aware of ways to protect myself in disputes such as this and took all the steps that's why this ended in my favor.

It ended in your favor because your buyer received the item.

Message 42 of 43
latest reply

@haileylngwrote:

Just thought I'd update, I didn't give up on this and wasn't about to be out $200 but I mostly thank my super patient buyer. I opened a case with USPS and after a month they finally found the item and it was delivered. Case closed.

Yes, there are still very manny nice understanding ebay buyers.

Message 43 of 43
latest reply