cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shipping...I'm sorry! It's just so confusing

I have one box filled with an antique doll. I have encased it with bubble wrap so that it looks like a cocoon.

Do I try to put it in a box within a box or is one box sufficient? 

I have 25$ buyer pay shipping listed and would like to keep it in that range cost-wise if possible. 

The box I'm trying to get it in is too tight so I will go to the stores to find a larger one so I can line that with packing material. 

Do I just take it to the post office or is there a cheaper way? I keep reading how Ebay will be taking funds from me for everything. 

EEK

Message 1 of 72
latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

Re: shipping...I'm sorry! It's just so confusing

@freedom21 wrote:

I have a lot to learn from this community. I will be selling more items once I acquire my mother's belongings so it's best to learn now. 

I learned most of what I know from the boards (shipping and selling).  Never hesitate to ask a question.  You quickly learn which posters know their stuff (wastingtime101 definitely comes to mind) and which posters it's best to scroll on past. 😋

Message 46 of 72
latest reply

If the doll in question is fragile (porcelain or such, not cloth or plastic), I would double box it. If the doll is quite valuable, even if it is not porcelain or other delicate material, double box it.  You did a good job bubble wrapping it. You just need to make sure you have enough inches of bubble wrap around it, and decide if it needs double boxing. (You might also want to wrap it in plastic to waterproof it, just in case it is left out in the rain.)

Finding boxes for longer and thicker items like your doll can be a real chore. I recently sent out a vintage computer keyboard, which was 22" x 12" x 3"; doesn't seem like it would be hard to find an appropriate box, but it was. I had to go out of my way to buy a specialty box at U-Haul for it, and the cut the box down to get it to an appropriate height. It is best to have a box already for items like this before listing, since if you end up going over the dimensions you initially anticipated it can raise the cost of shipping dramatically (especially when it cracks a cubic foot.)

Message 47 of 72
latest reply

Yep, and some of us 'oldies' still know how to read a punch card.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 48 of 72
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@freedom21 wrote:

This "lazy" way is looking like a good option if I can't figure the other way out. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It would have to be the larger box. I looked it up as an option. 

Your 18 inch doll will not fit into any of the flat rate or other free USPS Priority Mail boxes. The "Large" Priority Mail flat rate box is 12 x 12 x 5.5 inches.

18" doesn't mean much without the other measurements.   For large flat rate.

Message 49 of 72
latest reply

@fm2000 wrote:

If the doll in question is fragile (porcelain or such, not cloth or plastic), I would double box it. If the doll is quite valuable, even if it is not porcelain or other delicate material, double box it.  You did a good job bubble wrapping it. You just need to make sure you have enough inches of bubble wrap around it, and decide if it needs double boxing. (You might also want to wrap it in plastic to waterproof it, just in case it is left out in the rain.)

Finding boxes for longer and thicker items like your doll can be a real chore. I recently sent out a vintage computer keyboard, which was 22" x 12" x 3"; doesn't seem like it would be hard to find an appropriate box, but it was. I had to go out of my way to buy a specialty box at U-Haul for it, and the cut the box down to get it to an appropriate height. It is best to have a box already for items like this before listing, since if you end up going over the dimensions you initially anticipated it can raise the cost of shipping dramatically (especially when it cracks a cubic foot.)

The perfect box is a used large flat rate.  Since it's used, it can be shipped another method besides "flat rate" 

Message 50 of 72
latest reply

@redlinear wrote: ....  Since it's used, it can be shipped another method besides "flat rate" 

No, a flat rate box must always be used as a flat rate box.

Message 51 of 72
latest reply

@fm2000 wrote:

If the doll in question is fragile (porcelain or such, not cloth or plastic), I would double box it. If the doll is quite valuable, even if it is not porcelain or other delicate material, double box it....

It's not that difficult to look up details about this doll, since the original poster has only one Sold listing. It's composite, not porcelain, and sold for $250.   IMHO with multiple layers of bubble wrap, there's no benefit in  double boxing this item.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/305458709667 

Message 52 of 72
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@redlinear wrote: ....  Since it's used, it can be shipped another method besides "flat rate" 

No, a flat rate box must always be used as a flat rate box.

Not a used one.
Although, that is true for a new one. I've never seen it enforced. But wouldn't suggest it to someone else.

Message 53 of 72
latest reply

@redlinear wrote:

The perfect box is a used large flat rate.  Since it's used, it can be shipped another method besides "flat rate" 

1. The doll is too large to fit in the large flat rate box.

2. Flat rate boxes must have Priority Flat Rate postage matching the size of the box, whether the box is reused or not.

Large flat rate box is the opposite of the "perfect box" since it's not even an option for this transaction.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 54 of 72
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@redlinear wrote:

2. Flat rate boxes must have Priority Flat Rate postage matching the size of the box, whether the box is reused or not.

Large flat rate box is the opposite of the "perfect box" since it's not even an option for this transaction.

Perfect for the person I responded to.
What are the dimensions of the doll?  18" is not too large for one dimension of a large flat rate

Message 55 of 72
latest reply

@redlinear wrote:

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@redlinear wrote:

Perfect for the person I responded to.
What are the dimensions of the doll?  18" is not too large for one dimension of a large flat rate

Unless you're thinking of the discontinued board game box, which is long but way too slim for the doll (you can see the doll in the OP's sold listings), then I don't see how you think an 18" item can fit in a 12 x 12 x 5.5 large flat rate box - it would not even fit if placed diagonally corner to corner.

Do you have Time Lord technology for your shipping boxes?

Here's the USPS link on reusing boxes:

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/How-do-I-Use-or-Reuse-Boxes-Properly\

It's specific that the "appropriate" price will be charged, regardless of how a box is reconfigured or marked. For large flat rate, the "appropriate" price per USPS is large flat rate.

They also suggest not reusing boxes as it compromises the structural integrity. I agree with that (for the most) part on Priority boxes because they're flimsy to begin with.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 56 of 72
latest reply

@redlinear wrote:...

According to our friend Pythagoras, the diagonal measurement of a 12-inch box is about 17 inches. Furthermore, this doll has an oversize head made of fragile vintage composite, which needs layers of protection.

s-l960.jpg

Message 57 of 72
latest reply

@wastingtime101 
They don't make those long ones any more??
WOW!  That's gonna hurt my crazy PR sales.  Grrrrr

(well actually, now that I think about it.  When they started the Ground Advantage, we almost never use any flat rate boxes any more)

Message 58 of 72
latest reply

That baby gots a big head 😂

Message 59 of 72
latest reply

Discontinued Feb 2022, just over 2 years ago.

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2022/pb22592/html/updt_005.htm

They measured, inner dimensions, approx 23.5 x 11.75 x 3.

An 18" doll is highly unlikely to fit in a box that measures only 3" thick. Maybe if it's a Gumby doll. 😂

GLORIOUS!

Message 60 of 72
latest reply