cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

return item for refund saying it was not as described or pictured when it was in fact both desdribed

I sold a welder to a buyer. The listing was very detailed and had eleven good photos. The buyer for some reason chose to return for a refund and under Ebay's guarantee they immediately accepted the return. I have tried to show ebay that the item was exactly as described and pictured. Also, when the buyer received the item he claims the handle was broken. I assume it probably was broken in shipping, but now I know there is no way to prove it since he has since shipped it back to me. Every claim he made can be refuted with evidence, but it seems there is no way for me to dispute, and so the only relevant fact is his word

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: return item for refund saying it was not as described or pictured when it was in fact both desdr

This buyer will not be out his money; first off no matter what he can have his money back; I wouldn't steal from someone.  And, since I have the welder back I have the means to recoup what was refunded.  And, I'm sure I can find some piece of machinery around here with a very similar handle that will be a perfect match.  And, it seems a lot of you are focusing on the broken handle, whereas I am focused on the not as described and not as pictured.  But isn't there some sort of policy in effect that when an item comes damaged that the seller should be contacted to at least look into a shipping claim.  And, I just looked, and yes, it was insured by myself for $300.00 which I payed extra for.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Re: return item for refund saying it was not as described or pictured when it was in fact both desdr

@rhyder4195 wrote:

But isn't there some sort of policy in effect that when an item comes damaged that the seller should be contacted to at least look into a shipping claim.

No such policy exists ... you also wouldn't be able to get a claim unless the package was punctured or somehow crushed, causing the handle to break.  Breakage caused by the item's movement within the box, or colliding with itself, are not covered by USPS insurance because they would claim that it was improperly packed.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@rhyder4195 wrote:

"everything was there in front of him while looking at the listing, just exactly as it was when he opened the box."

Not if it had a broken handle.
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Ok, I'm going to burst your bubble...you accept returns. That means you accept them for ANY AND ALL reasons.

Being stubborn isn't going to help. Accept it, move on.
Message 19 of 26
latest reply

Understandable that your pride is hurt because this person claimed the welder didn't match the description when you went to great lengths to accurately present what you were selling.  Step into their shoes for a moment. From their point of view it didn't match the description because the handle was broken. If they just started on ebay that day of purchase then how would they know to contact you about shipping damage? You really should just issue the refund and let that part go.  No sense making the situation worse.  I have no idea what it takes to file a claim with UPS or if you even can since it's been reshipped, but it may be something to look into. 

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

You're right on both accounts.  Like I said earlier.  I have a handle; it's actually from an old stick welder, already removed it but still have to put it on the other welder.  Never really thought about the point that this guy was just unfamiliar with this Ebay thing.  It's maddening to try to do something myself, and I've been here forever (well, it seems like it anyway).  If only there were an equivalent alternative!  I feel a rant coming (and I'm not usually like this -- it takes a lot to get under my skin).   Sorry, I'll try to be quick -- Well, it all started about two weeks ago; I was browsing the listing for M5's (my dream car), and I noticed something peculiar about this seemingly nice M5 at a great price, $8000.  I knew it was relisted because I knew the last time I saw it it was about to end with no one bidding.  So, I looked at the listing and went to the carfax or the equivalent and looked at the details.  To make a short story even shorter I realized that the vin in the vehicle history report was not for an M5 but was for a Toyota Prius, salvaged no less, but the report had somehow been doctored to say M5.  I immediately realized that it was a scam to get the $500 deposit, as the account was new.  I spent 3 days trying every method known to me to get Ebays attention and tell them about this.  But having no phone made it impossible.  Cut to the chase, I finally just bought the damned thing and messaged the seller asking which car I had bought the M5 or the Prius.  I of course cancelled the sale luckily before they tried to withdraw the money from our debit card.  And, I guess at that point Ebay at least glancingly must have known what was going on because I didn't get any repercussions from canceling an auction bid.  Anyway, till this day that guy's account is still valid and it looks as if ebay went along their merry way.  It boggles my mind that a company RAKING in the profits, come on at least 10% of every transaction, can't at least hire a dew warm bodies!  **bleep**!  I'm sure everyone reading this has come upon a situation here were none of the canned answers matched the actual situation, and a reasoning thinking entity could have solved the problem.

OK, rant over.

And since you made me think and see another perspective -- I'm voting your answer.  Thank You.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Hi, 

I have a question for you about automated returns. I DID have my automated return policy set to that I needed to approve it. I have had quite a few instances where buyers wanted to return items claiming they are not as described just to get free shipping. I sell women's high end clothing and accessories. I take many photos and it there is a problem I always take and photo and mention it in the description so they know what they are getting. 

Just this week eBay automatically accepted a return from someone who made the "not as described claim" that was false. I reported the buyer for making a false claim. I also contacted eBay about the setting, because for some reason it was set to auto accept. I received the response below:

Hello Clarissa, 

As we discussed yesterday you wanted to set your settings to not have eBay automatically accept your returns. However it has been found that now if you have your listings set to accept returns at all this will be automatic. Meaning that if you allow returns it will be automatic acceptance. If you have any other further questions let us know.

Thanks,

eBay

Have you heard of this? Is this new? Any insight would be helpful..

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Fall-Seller-Update-Automatic-Acceptance-for-Returns-and-...

If you have your returns set up so that you require an RMA returns will still be accepted automatically but you have time to discuss the situation with the buyer before they are sent a label.

I’m not certain but I think a label is now issued automatically with free returns as well.

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

Why does ebay offer several return options? They only need to offer 1 and that is refund the money and pay all shipping costs. I offer an item for parts or not working, does not function as intended, as is no return, describe damage, provide photos, and the guy requests a refund for damage. I try to contact several times to resolve problem, buyer never responses. I ask ebay to deny refund, instead they say he gets a full refund plus shipping. This must be part of the seller protection they parade out like it's something that helps sellers.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

A good example -- A few months ago I discovered a scam automobile sale on here.  The guy had an account with 0 history; selling a BMW M5 at a very good price, and as I was looking at the listing I noticed the VIN on the vehicle report was not a BMW VIN.  It was the VIN for a salvage Toyota Prius.  I spent 3 days trying to notify Ebay about this scam listing.  The only thing I didn't do was phone them as I don't have a cell phone.  Eventually I tried to reach out to the Ebay Community, and you know what happened?  My post was flagged because something about shamming another Ebay member!  I was trying to report someone committing a criminal act, and I'm scolded by some Ebay drone!  So, you know what I did?  I freaking bought the $8,000 fake M5 from the guy, and immediately asked him, "Which do I get, the fake M5 or the salvage Toyota Prius?"  And, you know what?  Ebay had no problem when I cancelled the sale!  But they also didn't shut down the guy's account.  This leads me to the conclusion that there is only one thing Ebay is concerned with -- Fees.  Like I've said before -- I see the day coming soon when you sell something, and when it's all said and done, you end up owing Ebay more than you made from the sale.  You would probably have to look real hard to figure it all out because they slide all these little fees in here and there and you might not be aware of what is happening because it's a little bit here and a little bit there.  They've probably got a whole team devoted to figuring out what new names they can call all their sneaky little charges.  If there was an alternative, I'd be there in a second!

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

@rhyder4195 wrote:

Oh I have no doubt I won't win this one.  But maybe I didn't explain the situation, and if I did then the broken handle is the most minor part of the problem.  And, I have no doubt it was broken in shipping, and if the buyer had simply stated that he wanted to return the item because the handle was broken I would have quietly accepted that, but then too I would have had a claim with UPS, again it would have been minor for a plastic handle.  But this man vociferously stated that it wasn't the item pictured and that I hadn't described it.  Bold faced lies, and as a mater of fact he is calling me a liar.  That is my problem; not accepting the return, or refunding the money (I'm sure I will have no problem selling it for the exact same price or even a little more if I so choose), but the lies.  Plus, he wasted my time for no good reason as everything was there in front of him while looking at the listing, just exactly as it was when he opened the box.

you choose to play retailer,you have to put up with some **bleep** and eat crows,we all do.

just accept return and refund,getting eBAY INVOLVED WILL earn you a defect like the other said,and 3 strikes you could be out,is it worth it?

if not,it will lower your ranking and visibility.

buyers also can file chargeback and you will lose,not jus the item but $20 fee

Message 26 of 26
latest reply