cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

one shipping charge

Folks, I've been a member for ten years and I still can't get this right. I want to charge $5.50 per shipment, whether they're buying 1 item, 10 different items, 10 of the same item--no matter what. I sell iron on transfers so the weight is 1 ounce per item. I have 670 different listings, all priced at $4.95 per transfer. The nice overseas ladies haven't been able to help me to do this (I'm old and hard of hearing). Currently, it charges $5.50 for each different item--2 Jimi Hendrix, $5.50; 3 Grateful Dead, $5.50; total $11.00. What is the exact sequence to key in my listings to make every shipment $5.50? (All USPS Ground Advantage, btw) 

-Phil for 51sylva, thanks in advance

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: one shipping charge

Hi @51sylva .

Step 1:

Go to this page, click edit next to flat shipping rule, then create a rule "add amount for each item" and in the box type in 0.00, name your rule, then save it. https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

Step 2:

Select the listings you want to edit, then in the shipping section check the box to apply your combined shipping rule. You can do this one at a time or using the bulk editor.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I haven't replied, because I haven't had success with this. It's not you, it's not the ladies on the phone, it's ME. I've road tested this several times, and the best I come up with is $5.50 per item, $11.00, $16.50, etc. total shipment. Now, I will admit this lands on a page with a link to "Request combined invoice" and I always refund the overcharge, asked or not. However, I think that 90% of my customers are frightened by the $11.00 and never see or ask about combined shipping. In short, I'm missing a step and cannot find what I'm missing. I'm sure this is a solution, but not one I've had success with. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Bake your shipment costs into the price of your item and ship for free.  Instead of selling the transfer for 4.95 + shipping 5.50, make it, say, 9.95 with free shipping?

You can then setup quantity discounts to offset that if people buy multiple items.  IN fact you want to encourage this.

Most of my quantity items that I have listed with free shipping, I have priced so that I do better when selling more of them, even with a quantity discount  (I make more per item when someone buys 4 vs buying on 1, even with a discount applied)

Because the shipping now being baked in, the buyer doesn't have to see an extra fee. They see one price +tax.

If you are selling multiple items that are similar, set them up in a variation listing to help people to combine them into one order.  You only use one listing slot, can have up to 250 items in it and buyers can pick and choose what they want from it.  This only works on listings that are set with buy it now and no offers and most categories.

Prominently tell them they can save by buying multiples, and to add to cart before they purchase to get discounts, things like that.

Then, even if they don't, you don't have to be obligated to refund them a difference unless they actually say something.

I have had people buy stuff one at a time, even though its clearly marked add to cart for discounts.  I still group their items for shipment, and my profit margin is higher as a result.

Good luck.  And if you aren't already, I would even make sure you are offering returns.  Just makes buyers feel a bit more at ease.

On another note, be careful selling licensed images.  That can get you into trouble if you are not authorized to sell those images.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@51sylva wrote:

I haven't replied, because I haven't had success with this.

Which part has you hung up @51sylva ? Step 1 or step 2 in my above post? Let us know exactly where you're getting stuck.

Step 1:

Go to this page, click edit next to flat shipping rule, then create a rule "add amount for each item" and in the box type in 0.00, name your rule, then save it. https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

Step 2:

Select the listings you want to edit, then in the shipping section check the box to apply your combined shipping rule. You can do this one at a time or using the bulk editor.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@51sylva 

Hopefully this will help....
Go to your Shipping Preferences Next find Flat Shipping Rule. 
Copy exactly what is shown in the second image below. 👇 Don't forget to save it. IMG_1402.jpeg

IMG_1401.jpeg

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

By God, ebooksdiva, I think I've got it. Meaning no disrespect to rockstar101, I will check yours as the best answer.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

whitewaterford_0-1710798025001.png

@51sylva 

I'd just like to add one comment as I've had this issue.  I agree with everything @ebooksdiva says.  That works great if the buyer is buying multiple DIFFERENT items from you using the flat rate "combined shipping" rule you created.  However, in addition, in case your customer wants more than one of the same item, you also need to set the "each additional" shipping amount to ZERO (in yellow).  That way a customer can order one of item A,  one of item B and two of item X and still only pay $5.

Your screens may look a bit different depending on whether you use business policies for shipping (as I do), but the idea is simply that you have a flat rate combined shipping rule for $5 and use it and in addition you set the each additional cost to ZERO on each item you list.  

The combined shipping rule works vertically across all your items using the rule.  The each additional works horizontally for the same item.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Wastingtime spelled it out for you, I simply supplied the visual representation. 
If you use Business Policies you will need to check the apply my flat shipping rule box to include the rule you created then place the cost for your shipping and just zeros for Each additional as pictured below  👇 IMG_1404.jpeg

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thank you the OP didn't say if he used business policies. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply