they were all more that ebay charged me 

so i sell low  cost items 

my profits are eaten up 

what should i do ?????????????

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: fed ex shipping are almost double the charges

FedEX shipping charges have gotten WAY out of hand recently, the cheapest and slowest option used to be FedEX smart post. it's still the slowest, however now it's far more than the much faster FedEx home delivery. Absolutely crazy. Makes zero sense.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

find out why Fed ex charged more..........  they apparently (from what I understand) changed your 34 to 54.......  ebay gave you an estimate based on the 34.....nothing else they could do....  Fedex, when they got the package, found it to be 54.........  your measurements, weights, whatever the 34 represents, were wrong......according to Fedex.........  how / why are they different?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Man, I hate seeing these threads! I'm holding my breath right now waiting to see what FedEx charge shows up on my Ebay invoice for a motorcycle seat I sent via FedEX on Mon.  Ebay said it would cost $31 and change for Home Delivery. That was less than half the cost of USPS Parcel Select, btw.

I must say it WORKED to perfection. I shipped Mon. afternoon from PA, buyer in OR got it Fri.!

I know two things for sure: 1) The weight and dimensions I put in the Ebay calculator were absolutely correct. In fact, 2 of the 3 dimensions were rounded up a half inch.    2) If they whack me with a way higher charge, I just sent my last package through FedEx with Ebay quoting the price. Fingers crossed!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@dzya2015 wrote:

the estimated 34 doll

i paid 34 doll

when i recieved final bill from fed ex it  was 54 doll

Let me begin by clearing up a frequent misunderstanding.  When you get a FedEx label from eBay, you are not paying for it ... you are simply getting a label.

• eBay gives you an estimate of the FedEx charges based on all the information that you provide to them
  • When the package is received at FedEx, the package is weighed and measured ... dimensions round to the nearest whole number, so 10.1 inches becomes 10 inches, 10.5 becomes 11.
  • The package may also be evaluated to ensure that it complies with their automated handling, and other packaging requirements.  If it does not, then it will be assessed a surcharge.
  • The billing weight (maximum of actual weight and dimensional weight) is then added with any surcharges, and the bill is sent to eBay.  You pay on your monthly invoice.

when i recieved final bill from fed ex it  was 54 doll

what should i do ?????????????

Not much you can do.  The charges for your package are likely correct based on FedEx rules (FedEx has a lot more rules and is much more picky than the USPS, and they have a lot of expensive surcharges if you violate the rules).  But, if you answer a few questions, then I (or someone else) can explain to you why you have these charges:

Go on the Shipping Labels page, find the transaction (I think the list defaults to 7 days, so you might have to expand to 90 days), and click on the price ... this gives you some details about what was entered and what was charged.

Provide:

1. Origin and destination zip codes
  2. Dimensions of the package (what you measured, and what FedEx claims)
  3. Description of package exterior (shape, cardboard box, box wrapped in plastic, etc.)
  4. Cost you were expecting
  5. Cost you were charged
  6. Type of service used (Ground, 2-day, express, etc.)
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Looking for an explanation then on my first 4 items I shipped in the past month plus with Fedex from someone who knows a lot more about this than I do. My zip is 54479. This one went to 98247. Here is a blow mold life size sheep:

Estimated Shipping Cost: $32.92
Tracking #: 390945870510
Orig Wt: 2.875; Orig Dims: 29.0x14.0x11.0 in;
Base rate: $45.59; Resi: $3.00; Fuel: $2.15; Disc: -$17.82;

Actual Shipping Cost: $38.50
Bill Wt: 27.0; Bill Dims: 29.0x14.0x11.0 in;
Base rate: $23.03; Resi: $3.00; Fuel: $2.52; DAS: $4.00; Disc: $7.05;

The 2nd is an Easter bunny. My zip is 54479. This one went to 31906. :

Estimated Shipping Cost: $18.59
Tracking #: 391463475442
Orig Wt: 2.9375; Orig Dims: 24.0x13.0x12.0 in;
Base rate: $24.57; Resi: $3.00; Fuel: $1.22; Disc: -$10.20;

Actual Shipping Cost: $32.50
Tracking #: 391463475442
Bill Wt: 23.0; Bill Dims: 24.0x13.0x12.0 in;
Base rate: $20.70; Resi: $3.00; Fuel: $2.13; Disc: $6.33;

The 3rd is a trumpet angel. My zip is 54479. This one went to 24523. :

Estimated Shipping Cost: $32.92
Orig Wt: 2.875; Orig Dims: 29.0x14.0x11.0 in;
Base rate: $45.59; Resi: $3.00; Fuel: $2.15; Disc: -$17.82;

Actual Shipping Cost: $38.50
Bill Wt: 27.0; Bill Dims: 29.0x14.0x11.0 in;
Base rate: $23.03; Resi: $3.00; Fuel: $2.52; DAS: $4.00; Disc: $7.05;

The last is an identical Easter bunny I sold as above, just different place. My zip is 54479. This one went to 72023. :

Estimated Shipping Cost: $18.15
Tracking #: 391561430274
Orig Wt: 3.0625; Orig Dims: 23.0x13.0x12.0 in;
Base rate: $24.20; Resi: $3.00; Fuel: $1.19; Disc: -$10.24;

Actual Shipping Cost: $32.06
Tracking #: 391561430274
Bill Wt: 22.0; Bill Dims: 23.0x13.0x12.0 in;
Base rate: $20.12; Resi: $3.00; Fuel: $2.10; Disc: $6.16;

As you can see, all my dimensions measured for both myself and Fedex are the same. I can't see why the 2 Easter bunnies are almost double of what the estimate was originally when it was sold. Secondly, they all get hit with the DIM charges but the angel compared to the others came in spot on but they got their calculations differently than what the estimate was from Ebay's calculator. The angel is a total of 75 inches while both rabbits are a total of 74 inches. How can an estimate be so far off of what Fedex gets while we use the same numbers. I get that they have surcharges but they even start out with different numbers on the base price before they even get to them. I don't get it.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Oh! and on the first Easter bunny, Ebay charged the buyer $18.59 with their calculator and the second one was $$18.15.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I don't know what orangehound will come back with, but I think part of your problem must be in using Ebay's calculated shipping. We do not use calculated shipping, have been using FedEx for all our larger packages with fixed price shipping (not calculated) for years and have no issues. The price we get when printing the label is what we get charged on our Ebay bill. You must always enter the exact measurements (round up) when entering the dimensions to get accurate charges. Personally, I would not trust calculated shipping on my items for FedEx labels.

I can tell you this, without FedEx for larger items we could not sell larger items. USPS prices are ridiculous. Most buyers will not pay them to get an item.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

mvls1:
I understand what you say about shipping directly with Fedex, but I would then pay full price by using them directly and would not get the negotiated discount that Ebay has with them. I am looking at getting the discount that is supposedly stated but in the 2 instances with the Easter bunnies, I only paid like a buck and a half less than USPS Priority Mail. If I have to start going with what every shipper charges full price regardless of Ebay discounts and figure out the shipping on my own, I will definitely be overcharging on some items if I use Ebay. I also will have a lot less sales because of the high price for shipping. We all know where this all goes.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

We use Ebay FedEx labels, but use fixed flat rate shipping (same price for all buyers) on our listings. We do not have a separate FedEx account. We get the the discounted Ebay TRS rates on all our labels. We find it is easier to list our items with one rate to ship our items anywhere in the US. No problems with any of our buyers either. We have 4 accounts, have shipped over 10,000 items and had only 1 problem with a FedEx shipment. Other than that, FedEx has been good.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply