cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay lets buyer pick UPS when address is PO Box. Why?

This happens from time to time, but it happened twice today, so I figured I would vent...

eBay is allowing buyers to choose UPS Ground as the shipping method, even though the customer's address is a PO Box. Why? eBay won't let me select UPS as a shipping option when it comes time to purchase a label. So they're smart enough to figure out not to offer it on the back-end of the order. How come they can't give the buyer an error message on the front end if the buyer tries to select UPS Ground when their address is a PO Box? Seems sooooo easy and obvious, since they clearly already have that logic in place when it comes time to purchase the label...

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Yes, PITA. I always have to contact the buyer for an address or just ship USPS GA and send the buyer a note.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@replacementradios ,

I believe UPS SurePost will deliver to PO boxes. The last mile of packages via UPS SurePost is done by the USPS. It also usually cheaper than UPS Ground which is great.

Geographic scope
UPS SurePost service is currently available for packages picked up within the 48 contiguous United States for delivery to residential addresses in the 48
contiguous United States, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, U.S. Territories and to U.S. Post Office Boxes™ and APO/FPO/DPO addresses. UPS SurePost service is
not available for international packages.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@lakefor94 ,

Just send it UPS SurePost. You can print a label via EBay. It’s cheaper than UPS ground.

Easy peasey. No need to contact buyer and save a few $$’s in the process.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@theteamsetguy wrote:

@lakefor94 ,

Just send it UPS SurePost. You can print a label via EBay. It’s cheaper than UPS ground.

Easy peasey. No need to contact buyer and save a few $$’s in the process.

@theteamsetguy 

I can't do the sub-standard shipping options for my buyers as I sell mostly parts, network and computer items for contractors and businesses.  

I have had 2 overnight orders already this month....

Posting ID
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I'm sorry, but that's not an answer that works for us either. Plus, we don't attempt to profit on shipping, so we would also be refunding money to those customers, even if it did work for us. That is a PITA and should not be necessary...

eBay should only allow the customer to choose from our designated shipping methods. UPS SurePost is not one of them. UPS Ground is, but that's a different service... eBay is allowing the customer to choose UPS Ground as an option when it is not a shipping option at the time of shipment, due to the customer's PO Box. eBay recognizes it is not truly a valid option because we cannot even select UPS Ground at the time we print a label. If they can figure it out on the backend, why not on the frontend?

This is a problem and needs addressed.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply