cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who pays VAT now, buyer or seller?

There is a lot of confusion now regarding vat for shipments to europe. before the buyer always paid the customs or taxes should they be charged, but now its the seller in the states that has to pay this charge? 

recently ebay said? From 15 July we're adding new fields to the Seller Hub Orders Download report regarding EU VAT requirements. The example reports below have been updated with the latest changes.

so as a seller in the US, we have several orders to ship to the UK and France etc...so looking for clarification because Im getting different answers from ebay support.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Who pays VAT now, buyer or seller?

They buyer has to pay when they retrieve the package at customs ONLY if customs does not see Ebay''s VAT paid code on the label. The seller does not HAVE to use Ebay's GSP to get their item thru to their UK or EU buyer.

See my post just before yours for my experience in current successful sales deliveries to the UK, for example.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Buyers are always responsible for taxes and fees.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

The buyer pays the VAT. If the item is in Global shipping the import tax is paid  by the buyer up front, and GSP remits the tax so there are no additional charges at pickup.  If the seller is not using GSP to ship then the buyer pays customs, VAT, GST, HST, etc. when they retrieve the package.

If the seller is not using the gsp and the buyer is in the UK, EU or Australia, the buyer pays VAT at the time of the purchase.  If they are in another country, they 'may' pay tax and/or duty when they receive the item.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Interesting....

I list specifically to US addresses only.  

Seems that eBay is taking some liberties with the listing details....

Off to fix them now. 

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Just reading through this thread

If i am a  uk seller and i do not receive the vat paid by UK buyers  

(Ie sell an item for £100 and receive £100 ,minus ebay fees)

Why do i still have to pay 20% to HMRC

Surely that is not fair as usually the vat is paid by the buyer?

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply