cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who files an insurance claim?

If I sell an item on EBay and ship with insurance if the item arrives damaged or gets lost do I file a claim or does the buyer? Does the money get refunded to the buyer and I'm left with the mess? I put terms in the auction that I'm not responsible for lost or damaged items once they are out of my hands and the buyer is responsible for filing claims. Is that useless? I think it's only scaring off buyers and will remove it if there no hope of enforcing that. Please let me know. Thanks!

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Who files an insurance claim?

Thank you. It says it was delivered to their mailbox. The buyer contacted me like three weeks later and asked if I'm sure I sent their item.
Message 16 of 26
latest reply

@shynescloset

When I get a question about an item I message the buyer showing the address,  that they provided when purchasing. I attach a copy of the online shipping record which also has the tracking # that I got when I printed the shipping label.

If they open a dispute for "item not received" in the resolution center be sure to enter your tracking # into the case.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Thank you very much. I appreciate it. 

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats a ketch 22, If you refund them with out having it sent back you have no proof of damage, But if you have it shipped back you lose the right to file a claim(USPS claim process requires the item NOT be shipped back to ) .Proof of Damage or Partial Loss of ContentsYou must retain any damaged item, packaging, and all contents until the claim is resolved. If you receive notification from the Postal Service, you will be required to bring the item, packaging, and all contents to a Post Office.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

I'm so sick of hearing people trying to stick all the blame and responsiblity on sellers. USPS website states that either the the buyer or the seller can file a claim. Seems most people are to lazy to deal with the situation & the easiest thing to do is just pin it all off on the seller. As a seller we pay selling fees through ebay and paypal both, not to mention the items we sell arent cheap and they definately werent free, the amount you pay for shipping + Insurance is outrageous! When dealing with fragile items there is always a chance of breakage through transit. If that happens you and your buyer should be able to come together to resolve the issue for both of you, not just one or the other. Unfortunately most people only care about their money involved. They say screw the seller, I want my money and I want it now! Very similar to a temper tantrum when they dont get their way. I dont care about you, your product, your time, your packaging materials or your money involved.  People should be able to come to an agreement that works for both the buyer and the seller. 

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

When I getting hot item that smashed to bits I expect the seller to make it right and they get to deal with USPS.

They chose the shipping method they chose the packing materials they need to take responsibility. I'm so sick of sellers not wanting to take responsibility for what they choose to do!
Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Insurance claims can be filed by either person, it doesn't always have to be the seller period. When setting up a claim it asks you if are the shipper or if you are the recipient. Claims dont have to be complicated. When purchasing you are making an agreement between 2 people. You are actively involved in a transaction with another person.  Insurance claims require buyers and sellers to cooperate through the whole process 100%. Leaving someone hanging is like saying screw you, I wont cooperate, your money and time is nothing and only my money matters. That is rude.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

You file the claim, the carrier is responsible to you, and you are responsible to the buyer. That means you take care of the buyer even if you have not had a response on your claim. That is between you and the carrier and should not affect your buyer. You refund the buyer, carrier refunds you.

You are responsible for lost or damaged items and buyers know that. Those that don't probably hit the back button; those that do know it is unenforceable. It makes you appear to be a difficult and unknowledgeable seller.
Message 23 of 26
latest reply

My point was, to everyone that wants to argue : Buyer or Seller may file a claim. Alot of people are misinformed by others that only the seller can and that is NOT True. I believe a refund is in order for broken items Yes and I also would like the buyer to be considerate of all my time, money, product and investment in the situation too and simply follow through with a simple insurance claim without being ignorant. It's a big inconvience I understand, but there is no reason that you should find it that the seller loses out completely when you can simply wait for the claim for both of you. It seems that most people dont understand or want the person other to lose out. It's simple a claim can be filed by either person. Its easiest to follow the procedure, not to be inconsiderate. Thank You.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

Buyer or seller can.

On ebay, by the numbers, insurance claims are the responsibility and domain of the seller, should they decide to pursue them.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 26 of 26
latest reply