cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is UPS/FedEx going to start being paid immediately?

At the end of last month and the beginning of this month (September 2023), there was a banner and notice that starting in September that UPS and FedEx would start being paid immediately rather than some random time after the item was delivered.  There was no specific date listed anywhere, so I figured that the first week was just a fluke of it not being active.  But we are now almost half way through the month and UPS and FedEx still are not being taken out immediately.  When is this actually going to start happening?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

In September.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Did it actually say at the beginning of the month? I thought that it just said that in 'September' that would start happening.  It could be at any time but it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't start until October for some sellers.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Does anyone know if this will have surcharge protection like pirateship ?

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

The message said "starting in September" @jansencomputers . These types of changes are almost always phased rollouts where eBay opts in a small number of sellers to start, then eventually adds more sellers. It may be a few months before all sellers are switched over.

-----

To @robbie31415 : https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/faqs

Read the FAQ under paying for shipping labels. Certain surcharges are included upfront. Surcharges for nonstandard packaging are not. Surcharges for seller error on weight/dim are not.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I've heard the eBay calculator isn't as accurate as it should be.

Idk, I've never had a shipping adjustment outside of eBay estimate being a few Dollars less than it should. Certain area showed a 2.50 surcharge.

I was told by customer service that eBay just gives estimates so price can differ (and I'm not talking about improper dims/weight)

Anyways, ever since I moved to pirateship my price has stayed the same when I purchase label.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

They did not say that they would be rolling out it starting in September 2023, they just said starting in September.  Nothing in their statement, implicitly or explicitly, points towards it being a limited roll out.  It should be for everyone or no one.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

eBay doesn't estimate anything, the prices are explicitly given by the API of the various shipping providers.  Any adjustments for shipping are done because the shipper claims that the items weigh more or the packages are larger than originally listed.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@jansencomputers wrote:

They did not say that they would be rolling out it starting in September 2023, they just said starting in September.  Nothing in their statement, implicitly or explicitly, points towards it being a limited roll out.  It should be for everyone or no one.

It is for everyone, just not on the same day. eBay rolls out changes like this in phases (first x% then x% more until they're up to 100%) because from a technical standpoint it's easier to manage any unforeseen issues when a smaller number of users are impacted.

eBay may not explicitly state it's a phased rollout on that banner, but that's almost always how they make changes like this.

"Starting in September" is the message that was initially posted which is accurate. Starting in September eBay started opting sellers in. The message currently says "over the coming months" so that tells you over the coming months all remaining sellers will be opted in.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

The message currently says "over the coming months" so that tells you over the coming months all remaining sellers will be opted in.

Correction to my above post. The banner on the label page says "over the coming weeks" not months.

GLORIOUS!

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Any thoughts anyone from ebay?    Eccommercebytes is reporting that ebay "paused" the program to pay upfront for ups/ fedex..... what does that mean? is it going to happen or not?

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@siamjane8 wrote:

Any thoughts anyone from ebay?    Eccommercebytes is reporting that ebay "paused" the program to pay upfront for ups/ fedex..... what does that mean? is it going to happen or not?

One of my accounts was switched over within the last couple of weeks, and I checked another account an hour ago when I was purchasing labels and that account has been switched over, too. So to me it seems eBay is still moving forward with this change despite what elizabeth@ebay said in yesterday's chat on this forum. Perhaps she can come back here to confirm one way or the other?

GLORIOUS!

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@siamjane8 wrote:

One of my accounts was switched over within the last couple of weeks, and I checked another account an hour ago when I was purchasing labels and that account has been switched over, too. So to me it seems eBay is still moving forward with this change despite what elizabeth@ebay said in yesterday's chat on this forum. Perhaps she can come back here to confirm one way or the other?

Good morning @wastingtime101!

The Shipping team reached out with the following clarification:

This is still being ramped to all sellers with an expected full ramp soon

Thank you for touching base on this! 

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

FYI @valueaddedresource .......

GLORIOUS!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply