cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Do I Give the Buyer a Refund On a Package Delivered Damaged?

This is my first time ever filing an insurance claim with USPS and I would greatly appreciate any help. The package arrived on Friday to my buyer with one item broken. The buyer requested a partial refund and to keep the undamaged items, but I felt like since it was a pretty good amount that I should file an insurance claim. I did so Friday, today the buyer has contacted me wanting to be refunded now. What's the normal procedure for this? I don't want to be unfair, but I will be totally depending on them to actually take the items back to the post office. This transaction has been a disaster from the beginning and I'm ready to be done with it too, but don't feel comfortable with giving a refund just yet, especially knowing that they would really like to keep the items. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: When Do I Give the Buyer a Refund On a Package Delivered Damaged?

You refund the buyer right away and then deal with the insurance.

If the buyer does not cooperate with the insurance, eBay can exude a special dispensation to salve your injury. At least that's what we've heard.

Who's attending the injured party? Are we all bringing our crutches and wheelchairs?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

jfyi Post office may not allow buyer to keep item even if buyer is willing help you w your claim or deny claim unless there is a repair quote from a reputable source w a repair estimate

And buyers are not required to help.They can file w ebay as that their protection and return for a full refund on your dime

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

If they filed a claim, Ebay would require that they have proof of returning the item, right? If I give them a refund there's no reason that they would have to take the package back to the post office, that's what I'm worried about. I'm OK with giving them the refund, I just would like them to return the item to the post office first. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@shellyjag wrote:

If I give them a refund there's no reason that they would have to take the package back to the post office, that's what I'm worried about.

The first step eBay asks of you is to refund the buyer so that their concerns are resolved and, if your claim is denied because the buyer did not cooperate with the post office, eBay has concocted a special dispensation to protect you.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/TRUST/EBAY/m-p/26728513#M180934

Message 5 of 5
latest reply