cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is "informed delivery"?

This is a new one for me. What is "informed delivery"?

A buyer emailed me today...item mailed March 10th. Seems like a long time to hear anything about this.

But it was going to Marietta, Georgia....is that currently the new "limbo land"?

Here's the creepy part...there's no tracking on it. So how does the buyer know what's up?

And why did the buyer wait 12 days to tell me.

"envelope was scanned by informed delivery, Wednesday but never delivered by the post office. Notified post office that no delivery at this address was made."...what the email said.

I didn't use tracking for this piece of mail. Buyer is not upset or anything. 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: What is "informed delivery"?

This is what USPS says about Informed Delivery:

https://www.usps.com/manage/informed-delivery.htm

Since your item was mailed on March 10th and today is the 21st, how long do you think your buyer should have waited before informing you that they hadn't received the item?

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Informed Delivery is through USPS. They send you daily emails letting you know what to expect in your mailbox. I have that service it also shows me outgoing packages I ship out to my buyers. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Informed Delivery is the USPS's program to see what mail is coming to your address.  It works even with untracked mail, but only shows an item to the customer the day of/before delivery usually.

I'd tell them to be patient as sometimes it can show as scanned before it's actually delivered. Then wait to see if they actually open a case, and respond with any details you have, but without tracking you're likely to lose a case unless the buyer is honest and marks it closed once they receive it.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Without tracking?

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Is the item going to be returned to me, then?

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Yes, it even shows me what junk mail I’ll be getting every day.  It’s a photo of the mail pieces and occasionally a piece doesn’t show up in my delivery until the following day.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

No, nothing you've said indicates that.  It's just later being delivered than the customer expected, and will probably show in their mailbox tomorrow.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

All my packages are mailed with tracking. But if it is from or to your address I think so. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I've had informed delivery since it started, a few years now.  Every morning when I get up & check my email, I have a message from USPS showing me what mail I will be getting that day.  It also takes a photo of the mail.  It will also disclose packages as well. 

It has nothing to do with tracking, it's for all mail ... bills, advertisements, etc, ... whatever is coming in your mailbox that day, what your letter carrier will bring.   I get some magazines, it will not show you those but will tell you there's something that can't be shown. 

It's a good service, mine has been very accurate.  I live in a very large high-rise building, so if I see I don't have any mail for a day or two or three, I don't have to go down to get the mail.  Anyone can sign up for it.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

"envelope was scanned by informed delivery, Wednesday but never delivered by the post office. Notified post office that no delivery at this address was made."...what the email said.

I didn't use tracking for this piece of mail. Buyer is not upset or anything. 

That means that a photograph of the envelope you sent showed up in his Informed Delivery account on Wednesday (which would have been yesterday). It was supposed to be delivered to his mailbox on that day. In my experience, if an envelope doesn't show up on the day it is supposed to, then it is almost always delivered the next day.

I have seen some posts that mention USPS issues/delays in the Atlanta area. Marietta is just north of metropolitan Atlanta, so there could have been some delays. If the post office is backed up with mail, then it might be delayed by a day or two. The Informed Delivery system probably shows expected delivery dates.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Update: Buyer from Marietta, Georgia.

Buyer stated 8 packages lost since February...3 other packages missing with mine from yesterday.

What can be done? USPS claims no responsibility. 

And the area the buyer lives in is 'super nice' if you know what I mean.

Do we block Atlanta Georgia area? Can it be done?

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

I have seen some posts that mention USPS issues/delays in the Atlanta area. Marietta is just north of metropolitan Atlanta, so there could have been some delays. If the post office is backed up with mail, then it might be delayed by a day or two. The Informed Delivery system probably shows expected delivery dates.

I've seen people saying there were delays earlier, but things seem to be moving along just fine now. I shipped a sale to Atlanta on the 15th and it was delivered on the 19th.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

I am only going by what the buyer told me today...maybe things change overnight>

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I have one incoming letter this week that showed in informed delivery and has not appeared yet 3 days later,

The postman probably delivered it somewhere else. Postmen are not perfect.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply