cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS shipping now much less expensive from USPS!

I use moslty Small Flat Rate boxes to ship.  That was costing $6.85 plus $0.59 final value fee, so $7.44.  Today it cost $7.05 plus $0.59 final value fee, so $7.64.  The total cost from USPS.com is $7.20.  It's time to take the few extra seconds to buy direct from USPS.com and cut eBay out of making money on shipping! 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: USPS shipping now much less expensive from USPS!

First of all: The final value fee is based on what the buyer pays. It's not connected to where or how you purchase your postage.  You can't avoid the FVF by purchasing your postage through sources other than eBay.

$6.85 vs $7.05 is the difference between the regular online rate (Commercial Base) versus the Commercial Plus rate that Top Rated Sellers pay.  Are you using the NEW "simple" version of the listing form? Several Top Rated Sellers today have reported that it is charging the Commercial Base rate, although the "classic" form is still charging the Commercial Plus rate.    It's the "glitch du jour."

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

$7.20 + $0.59 will not be cheaper.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I'm using the version that showed up to my dismay a few days ago and causes trouble printing.  I make less that $4/day on eBay.  If I need to spend lots of time figuring out how to go back where I was a few days ago, it makes eBay even less sensible for me.

There is no doubt in my mind that eBay makes money on the shipping beside the final value fee.  "Free" shipping damages my customers too much to use it in case you're wondering.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

free shipping damages your customers?

Hows that?  

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@marshg246 wrote:

I'm using the version that showed up to my dismay a few days ago and causes trouble printing.  ....

Most folks who get stuck into the new label form will have a link in the upper-right corner for "Go back to classic label printing."

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

once you really understand how the fees work...you'll say...oh never mind.....

of course you could offer free shipping... no FVFs...but of course you still pay for shipping...so if that saves you then good for you....  so let me see... you offer free shipping...no fee on shipping...but ebay label charges..6.85.... BUT USPS site charges $7.05..... wait....so where is the savings?????

you know the FBF on the price of the item is the same no matter how -who you ship...so....again be sure you are comparing equal and the sames oranges.....

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

They said TOTAL PRICE WAS $7.20

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

There is no such word as bidded.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@marshg246 wrote:

I'm using the version that showed up to my dismay a few days ago and causes trouble printing.  I make less that $4/day on eBay.  If I need to spend lots of time figuring out how to go back where I was a few days ago, it makes eBay even less sensible for me.

There is no doubt in my mind that eBay makes money on the shipping beside the final value fee.  "Free" shipping damages my customers too much to use it in case you're wondering.

i;m sure you do....BUT who and how did you think the ebay label can show less than on-line?... ebay negociated a rate..as do ALL online companies with the Volume....BUT as to hem making money....just who made the money when the sellers use to lower the price and raise the shipping...and only paid on FVF price?,,, ebay is a business..they have to do what the must not to lose...making money off the postage FVF...well...i doubt there is a grand sceme to it...

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@gee56usa wrote:
They said TOTAL PRICE WAS $7.20

NO..... they said the label was $7.20 at usps.

They will still have a FVF of 59 cents on the money that the buyer paid:)

The $6.85 Commercial Plus, and  the $7.05  Commercial rate has already been explained.

Commercial rate is an online rate for anyone using many sources of labels other than directly from the USPS site. It is not an eBay discount.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

No, I'll say upcharged again.  Just like when my Top Rated Plus discount went from 20% to 10% right after starting to pay for a worthless store and when forced to offer 30 day returns and then forced to offer free returns and then had my shipping go up from $6.85 to $7.05 without warning.  I'm really wondering what good Top Rate Plus does for me and I'll eventually have time to figure that out and will probably just go back to being basic.

Yes, for those who reminded me that the final value is on the charged shipping, I forgot that. 

But that's even more reason to not offer free shipping.  My smarter customers buy several different items at once to keep the shipping down.  I buy thousand of $ on eBay and WILL NOT buy when free shipping is offered if I need more than one thing from a seller.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@marshg246 wrote:

No, I'll say upcharged again.  Just like when my Top Rated Plus discount went from 20% to 10% right after starting to pay for a worthless store and when forced to offer 30 day returns and then forced to offer free returns and then had my shipping go up from $6.85 to $7.05 without warning.  I'm really wondering what good Top Rate Plus does for me and I'll eventually have time to figure that out and will probably just go back to being basic.

Yes, for those who reminded me that the final value is on the charged shipping, I forgot that. 

But that's even more reason to not offer free shipping.  My smarter customers buy several different items at once to keep the shipping down.  I buy thousand of $ on eBay and WILL NOT buy when free shipping is offered if I need more than one thing from a seller.

[smh]

Its a software bug. And you were given a workaround.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply