cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS not scanning tracking. Scan forms are useless. Ebay won't remove neg because usps didn't scan.

Any one else having this problem?

First off , please don't tell me to use a scan form.  The scan form is useless.  Most of you do not know that the packages on the scan form are NOT accepted packages.  They are pending acceptance until some one scans the package.  If your local postal isn't scanning them and the distribution center doesn't scan them then they are late and your "late shipment" metric will go up ( or down depending on how you look at it).   I only found old posts on this subject with people saying unhelpful things like " learn to use a scan form".   The scan form is useless. Packages are not accepted until the individual package is scanned. 

For those of you sellers that only sell 20 items or less a day the horrible service at the United States post office might not be that much of a problem.  On my selling account I sell up 40 items a day in my off-season and as many as 100 a day during spring and summer and most of fall. My shipping metrics can go downhill very quickly if the post office isn't doing their job. I have packages that don't get their first scan until they are in another state. That doesn't just happen occasionally it's a regular thing. Many times they don't get scanned for days sometimes an entire week. 

I get constant complaints from buyers asking why I haven't shipped. And all I can do is promise them that I shipped their package and explain the problems of the United States post office. I still get more and more negative feedbacks because of shipping problems even though I ship everything 24 hours after payment and eBay will not take them down because the packages were not excepted within 24 hours but they sure were brought to the post office within that timeframe. And the scanned form was scanned but the packages were NOT accepted.  Scan forms are useless. 

SO,  I just started insisting that my packages get scanned and I get a receipt. Its been ok most of the time because I wait for the same employee that doesn't seem to mind doing her job ( I said the 1 employee that doesn't mind) On one Monday I had 225 packages to scan and she wasn't there. A different employee was there and she told me she didn't have to scan the packages. Because I had more than five and there were people behind me. I told her I was paying for tracking that wasn't being used because nobody would scan the packages. We debated this back-and-forth.  It was very interesting hearing things about Postal Service that I know for a fact are not true because of my 10 + years shipping. She actually had the nerve to tell me that everything had to be scanned the moment I got to the distribution center. I told her I know for a fact that wasn't true because if it was true I wouldn't have 100 different packages that got their first scan in another state. I told her even when the packages were scanned at the distribution center it was sometimes days or even a week or more after I drop them off. She was still indignant.  I told her if she was going to refuse to handle my packages properly then I'd have no choice but to leave but I wouldn't be happy about it and that the USPS was ruining my business.  She finally decided to scan in my packages. And she was nice about it. But she sure tried to get me dump them all in the bin.   

Now I have to stand  in line with prepaid packages, that should be scanned before they leave the building even if I just leave them in a bin ( but they never are) and spend time holding someone's hand making them do their work. I have to argue with postal employees about getting them to use a product, tracking,  I am paying them for. 

I am paying for tracking. There is no reason I shouldn't demand it be used properly.    I am also paying a huge heap of fees to EBAY and if I lose my fee discount those already high fees will go up 10%.  While I'm on the subject  Ebay is just as bad as  the usps is, even worse.  Imagine a company charging such high rates, demanding excellent service in exchange for a small fee discount, And you can't talk to any one about a problem.  If you do get some one they are not helpful and often are not easy to understand.  Thats pretty poor customer service. 

Like I said.  I am paying for tracking and the USPS is slowly ruining my business because they won't use it.  If I use FED ex I will also be ruined because the increase in shipping cost would put my items at a higher price than my competitors.  over 90% of my product is first class mail size. Now called advantage select. 

I read old posts on this subject where so called former USPS employees were defending the idea that no one scans in a large number of packages. Like thats the way it should be.  Because its not fair to the people behind you or the USPS shouldn't be expected to do that much work ( Again , If your thinking of using a scan form you are mis guided)  I say the USPS should do their job.  All of them should.  And I am the big customer that is making the usps money. Don't buy that **bleep** about online sellers costing the usps money. I can explain that myth away easily but thats another subject.   

And what does Ebay do about this?  Absolutely nothing.  Like they do with most problems.  And before some one says something  like " why are still here then?" its because I built up a large amount of inventory  and spent a huge amount of time on this platform creating listings and I am trapped much like a 1920's tenant farmer who is getting a really crapy deal from his landlord but doesn't have anywhere else to go but another crapy landlord.  Talking to ebay is basically like talking to a computer that doesn't really speak your language very well.   you get no where.  

At least I get to argue with a person at the post office.  I'm not sure how much longer I can keep this up. I continually tell my buyers that complain about shipping that the United States post office is part of a concerted effort to caused me to die of distress heart attack. ( and this is not the seller account I am using.  thats why there are no sales.) 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

USPS not scanning tracking. Scan forms are useless. Ebay won't remove neg because usps didn't scan.

I have stood in line at the post office and demanded a receipt for at least the last decade.  Its the ONLY way to ensure that your items are scanned.

I would recommend not arguing with the postal clerk. 

Ask to speak to the postmaster.   He / she might do the scanning for you if the clerks are busy with customers.

You are entitled to have every item scanned no matter how long it takes.   

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

In addition to this right now USPS is having a terrible slow down at various sorting facilities. Packages are getting stuck for over a week or more in some cases. I feel for you. USPS is doing an overhaul of their sorting machines in some area I heard and postal workers are outside the building in the meantime hand sorting packages.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

other than ESE issues, I find that scanning problems are local.

I have recently had delays in the first scan which have been due to delays in packages leaving my PO. When they get to the first sorting center they are scanned, and continue during their travels.

I think my carrier is not entering the packages into the stream for a day or more.

I am not being bothered by my buyers, but I do not have as many shipments as you do.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I don't know if it is formalized somewhere, but ebay considered an item shipped once you get the acceptance scan via the SCAN form. On the attaching screenshot, ebay clearly states that the item was shipped to the buyer, although the acceptance is pending.  Why would a buyer asked whether the item was shipped when it says that it was shipped. I have been using SCAN form for years, never got any penalty from ebay for late shipment when I got the pending acceptance scans within my handling time.SHIP=.JPG

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

other than ESE issues, I find that scanning problems are local.

Indeed. I can leave packages on the counter at my local PO and they are guaranteed to have a scan at the local sort facility later that evening.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@martin2001 wrote:

I don't know if it is formalized somewhere, but ebay considered an item shipped once you get the acceptance scan via the SCAN form. On the attaching screenshot, ebay clearly states that the item was shipped to the buyer, although the acceptance is pending. SHIP=.JPG

It's the same if you use one of the self-service kiosks, which is what I always do. I scan them at the kiosk and that satisfies eBay's Acceptance scan metric even though they won't get an actual in transit scan until later that evening when they hit the local sort facility.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I didn't read everything.

I assume you have several accounts.

We don't know what you sell and what you are doing wrong.

I lost nothing last year or this year with the USPS...and you can actually see what I sell. LOL.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

"I don't know if it is formalized somewhere, but ebay considered an item shipped once you get the acceptance scan via the SCAN form"

Really?  When using a scan form, the ISPS employee is supposed to count the packages and verify the amount and that the number of packages for each mail class. Never had one do it though. There is a reason why. 

Suppose you have say 30 packages on the scan form. But little did you know that one small package found its way under the seat of your car. You use the scan form, and all get the shipment received, acceptance pending. Including the package under the seat of your car. Down the road, your buyer of this package opens an INR. So down the road some more you try to file an insurance claim with USPS. They will deny, saying they never had the package, because they did not. Is Ebay going to refund the buyer? You will have to because they never received their item, in fact it was never shipped.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

OP's complaint is about their shipping metrics, not about items not arriving. For the purposes of satisfying your Acceptance scan requirement for on-time shipping, SCAN forms and kiosk scans DO count. I know because I use kiosk scans exclusively and eBay considers anything I scan at the kiosk to be accepted when I look at the tracking.

If OP's issue is that their local PO or sort center isn't scanning every package so they aren't being marked as "Accepted" in eBay's tracking until after their handling time and they are getting late shipment dings as a result, a SCAN form or kiosk scan will work just fine to fix that problem.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Scan forms DO count. I use a scan form everyday. They always count, and I offer same day handling so I'd know REAL fast if they weren't counting.

I take mine to the register. Ask for a receipt. They stamp my scan form and staple a receipt to the scan form with showing that it was succesfully scanned into the system.

The ONLY time my scan form didn't work I opted not for a receipt. I told them 'I don't need a receipt I just need the scan on the tracking'. They said okay, and guess what, the scan never showed up on the tracking.

To make sure scan form gets scanned you ALWAYS need to ask for a receipt.

I can validate that eBay's system 100% accepts scan form as acceptance.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply