cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS losing 1 in 4 of the packages I send

In the last 3 weeks USPS has lost 5 of the highest cost items I sell. That is one in 4 or worse.
After filing multiple claims 2 have all of a sudden appeared at their destination distribution center.
Two were lost at my local post office. This post office has a few good employees but has not been able to hire more. Now their employees are tired and have no raise to make up for the 90% increase in food, rent and gas.
I guess they do not care anymore and just throw stuff in a pile. Two more disappeared in the Ybor distribution center.
Now one of the parcels I replaced for free at a cost to me of $225+ also is now lost as well. Same location: Ybor city distribution center. I have had 9 parcels disappear there in the last 2 years. Seams they have a thief. 
Anyway, It looks to me like eBay needs to set up their own shipping company like Amazon. Then maybe, just maybe these shipping problems could be resolved.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: USPS losing 1 in 4 of the packages I send

ebay shipments would come nowhere near AMZN. I'm not sure AMZN is making money on the delivery side, and I'm a longtime shareholder. I had an Intl FedEx package (not ebay related, but my real business) last month that sat at the station less than five miles away for nine days. When I filed a claim they finally delivered it. Looked like it had gone through hell.

Either way it's not acceptable.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@thecustomcrafter wrote:

In the last 3 weeks USPS has lost 5 of the highest cost items I sell. That is one in 4 or worse.
After filing multiple claims 2 have all of a sudden appeared at their destination distribution center.

Of course it's possible there is a thief among the employees at some distribution centers and post offices but it's also possible that items are stuck somewhere, as evidenced by your experience with packages showing up after filing find my item request or claims. 

My opinion is that USPS is overworked and underemployed and cannot get the help they need. Every company is looking for workers and for some reason, can't get help. 

How long are you waiting before assuming items are lost? What does tracking show? 

@thecustomcrafter wrote:

Anyway, It looks to me like eBay needs to set up their own shipping company like Amazon. Then maybe, just maybe these shipping problems could be resolved.

NO thank you. We don't need ebay putting their claws into our businesses any more than they already are doing! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I agree but consider this: USPS uses a computer program to pick employees. Than they send six of the computer picked to the post master to choose from. I confirmed this with the post master when I witnessed him send a marine back to the USPS website because he could not hire walk in applicants.
USPS also rejected my 38 year old daughter. she by the way has a spotless driving record, no other negative records and a glowing work history of working for a bank and a shipping company for 10 years.
Seams the only people they hire are the ones who know how to spoof a computer AI.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

If I may suggest; make sure you insure your items when purchasing the shipping label through eBay.  You only get $50.00 worth of insurance from USPS.  Anything over that, I always spend the few extra dollars for the full purchase amount.  And, don't take the first option of 'slip-cover insurance".  Get the regular USPS insurance-it's worth the extra money.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I do insure all items worth over $30. However I have actually watched an item scanned in. then it never showed on the tracking. 7 days later I called the customer to resolve the never shipped or should i say, never scanned item.
He said he had been running it for three days and loved it.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Yes, but 3 in 4 get delivered.    Shipping has got much worse over the last few years.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

A commentary in the local paper a couple of days ago showed that in the Las Vegas valley area there were 3,124 complaints filed for lost or stolen mail in the past 12 months. That is JUST in Las Vegas. Now extrapolate that across the country.

In fairness in some cases it may not be possible to know whether an item was lost or stolen. i.e. delivered to wrong address. But they then went on to note some of the known problems.

Carriers being assaulted and robbed of their mail box keys giving the thieves free range over as many community mail boxes as they have time for. And for the more ambitious thieves the stealing of the entire community mail box.

Not so long ago TV news showed a couple of carriers being shot (NYC I think) while delivering mail and the mail stolen.

There have been reports across the country of a few carriers who apparently just get overwhelmed and toss the mail in a local dumpster.

Traffic accidents. I seem to recall not so long ago a news account of a USPS truck on fire.

Packages left by the front door and hoisted by porch pirates.

Reports of some USPS employees stealing mail.

Some distribution centers are so understaffed that trucks sit in the parking lot overnight and are ransacked by thieves.

People who put outgoing mail in pick up boxes the night before to be sure they are there when the carrier come by. But thieves are wise to this and steal that mail looking for outgoing checks (utilities, car payments, mortgages, etc).

A fairly lengthy article from NBC news details just how rampant it is.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mail-theft-surging-u-s-postal-service-inspectors-don-t-n1241179

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Just curious if you seen any movements on the package in ybor city? 
seems this location is the place were packages go to die 😩

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

How do thieves steal from a USPS mailbox? Never mind, we probably shouldn't post DIY info on this.

How do thieves cash checks addressed to your bank or utility company?  

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@thecustomcrafter 

Checking your sold items, you have a solid eBay business. Hat off to you.

In my eBay business, I take full responsibility for selecting the correct carrier for each shipment. USPS is NEVER selected for any shipments over a certain monetary amount. Let's say, $100 and maybe up to $150 on some shipments depending on where the shipment delivers. 

And I don't have any "problem" USPS distribution centers to consistently ship through. I mitigate problems before they happen by using UPS Ground on the expensive shipments.

I don't know what your margins are but I would be mitigating as much risk as possible as margins permit.

Sounds like you have a risky USPS distribution center to pass thru assuming you are shipping out of the Tampa area. I would be owning it and selecting the appropriate carrier especially since some of the higher priced items you ship have some weight to them. UPS could be the more cost effective carrier to ship with anyways.

Best of luck to you.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

It looks to me like eBay needs to set up their own shipping company like Amazon. Then maybe, just maybe these shipping problems could be resolved.

You're kidding, right?

My feeling for a long time is that Amazon will eventually replace the USPS as our primary mail carrier.  Heck, with the addition of just a few vehicles, they could probably nearly do it now. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

How do thieves steal from a USPS mailbox? Never mind, we probably shouldn't post DIY info on this.

How do thieves cash checks addressed to your bank or utility company?  

Well, the simplest method is they simply break open the door and take everything. But then that is a one time only raid. To be able to do it repeatedly, according to the post office, they use a dipping stick. A rod with sticky tar in the end and they "fish" the box.

Since banks now will accept electronic deposits via cell phone they photoshop their name over the original payees, and send it electronically. Banks no longer have to have the original check and, since it is all done electronically, they do not get to see the obvious manipulation. Surely you have seen the ads of someone making a deposit by taking a picture with their cell phone.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply