cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS is OUT OF CONTROL with their shipping price hikes and ebay doesnt care

This is what happens when you pay these clowns huge salaries and huge pensions.... Just like cities who are all going broke because they cant afford to pay out monster pensions 

When does it end? Why aint ebay fighting against this or getting us better discounts??

Offerup and Letgo are starting to look better and better

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: USPS is OUT OF CONTROL with their shipping price hikes and ebay doesnt care

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Lower-FedEx-rates-are-effective-today-FedEx-UPS-a...

They made a deal with FedEx instead.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

I use fedx home delivery for heavy packages before and the rates were 10 times better than USPS but never checked them out for smaller stuff, will take a look

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide
It doesn't end, it never will. It's made plenty of items no longer worthwhile to sell online.

My guess is Fedex was much more open to a discount with ebay, thus the lower negotiated rates. If you ship dim size packages up to 10 pounds, you may want to take advantage of the new lower fedex rates for delivery comparable to Priority. I dropped off a pkg Saturday at Fedex Office going across Country, it was remarkably delivered on Monday! This arrival was better than the advertised 2 day delivery. I was billed $15.73 versus their regular 2 day express rate of $89! Package weight up to 10 pounds made no difference in rate, so I was able to put in plenty of cushioning. Included $100 insurance. Gotta love it!
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I actually worked for the post office for 5 years. We would have meetings every year talking about how the post office had been losing money for years and the possible solutions- mostly removing Saturday delivery. They also lowered wages for new employees significantly. As to why they were losing money, they mostly gave the reason that magazines and first class mail had been declining significantly. Those thing really have been declining but what made no sense to me was that packages and junk mail had been increasing significantly every year.

As to why I think they were actually losing money, it probably had more to do with poor decision making. One thing they did that lost them millions was signing a deal with ebay and China for things they called "epackets." Each package was discounted so much that the post office was LOSING around $1 for each of these packages sent. They would also give ridiculous deals to companies to send junk mail flyers and such and it just wasn't worth the effort for how much they got from the company. I remember delivering 3 sets of these things along with my regular mail, it would add hours to the day and these companies were basically paying nothing.

The good news in all this is that Trump threatened to pull out of the Universal Postal Union. He didn't come through but he did manage to force them to allow us to negotiate our own rates and maybe we won't be losing money anymore. The new rates won't be revealed until March though so who knows. As to how much of an impact it will have on postal rates, I don't think postal rates will drop but they may stop from rising for a time.

I would also like to add that ebay makes money off of increased shipping rates as FVF are based on total sale. I don't think they really have an incentive to negotiate things any further. As to the FedEX discounts, those really only help large things which were so prohibitively expensive to ship that people avoided selling them on ebay entirely.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

They could trim a lot of fat, its outrageous the Operating expenses is $74.4 billion

The U.S. Postal Service reported operating revenue of $70.6 billion for fiscal year 2018 (October 1, 2017 - September 30, 2018),

Operating expenses for the year were $74.4 billion, an increase of $2.2 billion, or 3.1 percent, compared to the prior year. This was driven by an increase in compensation and benefits of $896 million due to contractual wage increases and increased transportation expenses of $623 million primarily due to higher package volume, increases in fuel prices and higher highway contract rates.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

1st class prices not only went up every year they now change different prices for distance, they never did that, a 1st class package was the same price all throughout the US. 

If you have a $5 Item to sell you cant even sell it on ebay anymore, shipping min is gonna be $3 then the ebay / paypal fees AND they now include a state tax for most states...

Ebay is not fighting enough to make a deal with the post office, it just keeps getting worse bigtime.

Hell, postal trucks dont even have A/C the cheap b@astards

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

The postal service's lack of flexibility (including cutting personnel, locations, and benefits) isn't the underlying problem though. The "fat" you speak of has been plaguing the post office for decades but it has also been plaguing every other employer- healthcare and fuel costs rise for every business. Also, despite the unions and the lack of flexibility of the post office, they have still found ways to cut costs- the biggest being that they've dropped the amount for career employees from 700,000 in 2004 to 500,000 in 2019 and reduced pay for many non-career positions.

Every business needs to adapt to a changing market and I understand that the USPS can't adapt as much as other businesses but, realistically, they shouldn't need to. Their mail volume has been dropped significantly but they've more than compensated with their package volume and increased rates. So tell me, despite all these countermeasures (cutting employees, raising rates, package increase), why are they still losing so much money? Honestly, I think what pushes them over the edge (into the red) is simply a loss of negotiating power. Why does Amazon get such great shipping discounts? epackets? Why do corporations send junk mail for pennies?  It all has to do with the USPS losing its negotiating power. There are too many alternatives for regular mail (email, texts, etc) and it's a race to the bottom for UPS, FedEX, and USPS when it comes to Amazon.

Amazon is simply too big for the USPS to refuse its discounts to. I'm not going to say this is the main cause of our rates going through the roof, but it certainly doesn't help.  I imagine that if Amazon had to pay what we pay, the post office would be more than capable of being in the black again. As mentioned before, it would also greatly help if China wasn't considered a "developing" country anymore and actually paid the correct price for shipping.

-We can certainly talk about cutting the fat, maybe restructuring benefits or something, but we have to be careful with how far we're willing to go. If you suddenly privatized the post office (or got rid of the unions) it would likely result in many cutbacks that many Americans probably don't want. Cutbacks like removing Saturday deliveries, holding mail back, and even more extreme measures like completely shutting down certain post offices or forcing people to have PO boxes/communal mail boxes. I also believe people won't deliver mail for $12 an hour without benefits unless the job became much easier.  Before I left (7 years ago), they were hiring people for $14 an hour and every single one of them quit because of the stress.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

They complain about costs and maybe cutting out  a day of delivery, but they manage to have enough for the machines that take digital photographs of everyone's mail.   Maybe there's big data value in all that recorded information to be mined.  Something to consider.   I'd rather pay an extra buck than for them to get creative about ways to make money like that.    It's not just postage that is a problem here,  it's all the things that add up-- the shipping supplies, the postal fees, the sales fees, tax, the paypal transaction fee, the time it takes to make a good listing,  and the need to lower the price to attract a buyer.  By the time you're done, unless you're one of the big guys that does enormous volume,  what's the point in selling anything?   I started just donating things to the church for their rummage sale. 

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

"I started just donating things to the church for their rummage sale."

And someone will buy that donated item..................and sell it on eBay...................
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

According to the Inspector General report that I read, ePacket service is revenue neutral. In other words, the USPS does not lose money on the service.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

General Reply:
To those who are wondering why the USPS has such steep overhead.............rumor has it that the Post Master General's salary is the second highest n the government. The PMG is paid more than the Vice President......................Only the President is paid more.
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

In 2006, Congress passed a law to require the USPS to prefund 75 years worth of retiree health benefits —a cost of approximately $110 billion. Although the money is intended to be set aside for future Post Office retirees, the funds are instead being diverted to help pay down the national debt.

No other private enterprise or federal agency is required to prefund retiree health benefits on a comparable timetable. The mandate is responsible for all of USPS’s financial losses since 2013. So the rates just keep going up.

Congress is supposedly working to end this practice 

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

I agree and disagree. Try shipping with anyone else but USPS and you will be in for sticker shock. Also, as far as high pensions?!?  Not a chance. I am a recently retired Postmaster with 32 years of service. My pension? $1,740/month after taxes, health care, life insurance, etc. If not for saving for 30 years and paying my debt down prior to retiring I would have not been able to retire. That pension amount is below the national poverty rate. Try looking at UPS salaries and benefits. 10 weeks vaca, triple-digit salaries, etc. Then check their shipping rates. I am not knocking UPS employees as I know what it is like to deliver in today's world. Most people fail it in their first 1-2 weeks on the street. The turnover rate of USPS new hires is near 85%. There's a reason for that. I agree USPS rates continue to skyrocket, but that's because we(sellers) had it easy for decades. I recall being able to ship a 4 oz 1st class bubble mailer for 69c. Now it is close to $3. Everybody wants to know the exact GPS location of their package every second of the day today.  That technology comes with a price. And the bottom line is that no one is forcing you to mail with UPS, FedEx or the USPS.  You have choices.  Do some comparison pricing with all of them and I believe you will remain with the USPS on most items.  Good luck and we all feel your pain.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

FYI - The USPS never signed an agreement with China. The Feds forced the USPS to accept it.
Message 15 of 22
latest reply