cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Ground Advantage

I'm not finding any info on which boxes I'm supposed to use with USPS ground advantage. Can I use just any regular brown box? I'm so confused about boxes. I have a bunch of brown boxes saved, but not sure what to select in the options to be able to ship them.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

USPS Ground Advantage

You can use any box, up to a length-plus-girth of 130 inches.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

USPS Ground Advantage

I always use brown boxes. I purchase 2000 a year of the 5x5x5

I like to use the new ground that replaced first class

you can always use a brown box for any class like priority/express  but not flat rate

you will become familiar with boxes and rate classes when you ship enough

a heavy item for me is between 1-2 pounds, rarely over 2 pounds so flat rate is throwing money away in my case

@vichet20 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

USPS Ground Advantage

Use any box that you would use for first class and parcel (post/select).    If you use a box that contained batteries or something flammable like Bic Lighters, you should put that entire box inside a plastic shipping baggie.  For sure so that it's not rejected by the post office.   Do NOT use any box that contained fresh meat or frozen meat because it might have bacteria.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

USPS Ground Advantage

...don't they have to be the minimum 6" x 3" x .25"?  Can they truly be "any" size?

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

USPS Ground Advantage

I use boxes, stayflat mailers, bubble mailers, plastic shipping bags and other methods appropriate for protecting the merchandise with ground advantage.

And I do not use any previously used packaging. Some sellers do, some sellers don't. Some buyers care.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

USPS Ground Advantage

According to the USPS, officially there is a minimum package size of 6" x 3" x .25. And some postage resellers won't let you print a regular GA or Priority label if you put in package dimensions that are smaller. But, I have never had a problem sending smaller packages (like eBay's 4"x4"x4" box), and other sellers have reported the same. You should be ok, as long as the package is big enough to fit a regular sized shipping label, but as the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

USPS Ground Advantage

I use the actual weight + any size brown box up to 12x12x12.  

Calculated Shipping:

4oz 12x12x12

8oz 12x12x12

etc.

1`lb 12x12x12

4lb 12x12x12

etc.

I may ship an 8x6x4 4oz box, but the cost is the same as a 4oz 12x12x12 box.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

USPS Ground Advantage

@fm2000 wrote:

According to the USPS, officially there is a minimum package size of 6" x 3" x .25.

I haven't checked the DMM since GA was created but this was a common piece of information/misinformation associated with First Class Parcel.

The DMM required that if the thickness was .25" or more First Class Parcel be used, it did not say you could not use a more expensive service than First Class Letter or First Class Flat.

A common practice by some online sellers was to put a styrofoam peanut in an envelope and meet the .25" requirement.

I personally have never met a postal clerk who said it had to be .25" thick but many online forum posts recounted this as have occurred.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

USPS Ground Advantage

@vichet20 ,

Before worrying about what color boxes you can use for shipping. You need to find some small black boxes and put them on the anatomy of some of your listings.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

USPS Ground Advantage

I have recently shipped in a 4x4x4 box - folding the label over the side as directed by my USPS.  I was told ANY size box for GA works.  Ebay and Etsy alike!

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

USPS Ground Advantage

90% of my sales can be shipping in a 6x10 padded envelope, so I just don't use boxes.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

USPS Ground Advantage

I know it has the minimum dimensions listed, but you can put 1x1x1 in the postage calculator and it will give you a rate: https://postcalc.usps.com/. If you enter 50x50x50 it rejects it. I'm not suggesting 1x1x1 will fly, just that they don't seem terribly concerned about rejecting small parcels.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

USPS Ground Advantage

12.x12x12box

4oz, 8oz, 12oz, 15.99oz,1lb,2lb, etc.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

USPS Ground Advantage

Can I send a package that weighs 6 lbs and is 17in by 16 in by 11in?

Message 15 of 17
latest reply