cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK Buyer purchase of heater...shipping methods

A buyer from UK purchased a heater for $93 and paid $52 shipping.  His preference is to ship Priority. I put figures in and it is $126.  The alternatives are FedEx Smart Post $42.62 and UPS 2 day air and USPS Ground Advantage $75.63.   I don't understand why Ground Advantage comes up...isn't that just "Ground" not air?  It was packed very carefully with a lot of extra padding. I was going to message buyer to see if he wants to use FedeX SMART POST and give him a shipping discount.  Any advice please.   Why does the International shipping say it goes to Illinois first?  Is that the case with all the carriers or just Priority?  When I used to ship Internationally 4 years ago, it wasn't like this.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: UK Buyer purchase of heater...shipping methods

USPS Ground is not strictly ground only anymore , but don't know how they do International with it.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

that is what I am wondering. It is listed as a shipping option so it must be able to reach the UK.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Hi @mustardjo .

• Your item was sold with eBay International Shipping (eIS) which means you ship to a hub in the US and they forward the item to the international buyer.

• You need to look at the order details. On that page it will tell you whether USPS Priority or Ground Advantage was selected for the domestic shipping portion. Technically speaking, you are supposed to ship using that service. Because you are shipping to the eIS hub and not directly to the buyer, it would be acceptable to switch carriers (UPS / FedEx), however you cannot downgrade service. If the order details shows USPS Priority as buyer selected, then you cannot use an economy service like FedEx Smart Post, but you could use an expedited service like UPS 2 Day Air.

• Have you checked to see if your item does not exceed eIS maximum weight/dimensions?
    • Packages should not exceed:
    • 48 inches in length, 84 inches in length and girth
    • 44 lbs. in billable weight (not actual weight) for all countries except Canada (maximum billable weight for Canada is 66 lbs.)
    • Billable weight refers to whichever is greater between actual weight and dimensional weight. https://ir.ebaystatic.com/pictures/aw/shipping/DIM_Weight_Guide.pdf

• Have you communicated with the buyer that the item is electric and therefore the plug will not be compatible with UK outlets and the buyer will need their own adapter?
GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

There is FedEx 2 day air for $69 and and UPS 2 day air for $79. Maybe I will check those options out with the buyer.  No I wasn't aware the buyer would need an adapter for the plug...I will let him know.  Thank you

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

The buyer should not be a part of the shipping discussion. The method chosen is displayed on the order details page and shipping is between you and the eIS hub. The buyer's not a part of that.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

You're  going to lose shipping both ways if it's  returned when they discover the voltage of US appliances is different in the UK. US plug won work without a converter. Hope they know that.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

***won't work***

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

lose shipping both ways.....................

--------------------------------------

likely not the case with an eIS sale.

Looking at that item it could well be just purchased for the look, and not for actual use.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I messaged the buyer. He was very nice. He told me to choose whatever method I wanted. I choose FED Ex 2 day shipping for $69.  He said he wasn't worried about the plug because he was going to rewire it. Glad to hear that.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

You do realize you are just shipping to the eis hub and not to the buyer?  There is no need to send it 2 day to them, your buyer likely won’t receive much more quickly depending on the eis timeline.  

I also don’t understand why you keep asking the buyer how they want it shipped.  Didn’t they pay for a certain service?  If they paid for priority, that is how you are supposed to ship.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Good that the buyer knows about the plug.  By rewire I hope they mean replace to entire innards as that 110VAC heater will be hard pressed to work on 230V. Well, not hard pressed for very long.

But....................  not your concern at this point.  They pay, you ship. eIS delivers. Any issues after arrival at the eIS hub are out of your hands as eBay then takes all responsibility for INR, INAD, ordered by mistake, chargeback dispute.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@mustardjo 

There must have been some discrepancies in the size/weight in the listing.

I am in zone 8. The listing shows $51.77 (basically $52) USPS Priority mail with an eBay online label. ($25.24 for GA)(with the same estimated delivery date)

Shipping to the eIS hub should not be over $51.77. That $126 shown in the opening post is way out of line.

Also, beware of FedEx after charges if purchasing a label through eBay using their "estimated" price.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

To clarify, the buyer does not see any shipping options other than eBay international shipping.  Whatever option you use to the eBay shipping hub is only to the hub.  So that 2 day option iypu mentioned is 2 days to the hub and from there eBay decides what shipping method to the UK.  Since your were discussing shipping services with your buyer, you might have given them the impression that those services would be used to the UK and that they would receive there item in two days, but that is not the case.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Isn't it true that any shipping option that you, the seller, choose will apply only to the heater's trip to the EIS hub in IL?

If so, why bother with some lightning fast method when it's going to take much longer from IL to the UK? 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply