cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking says delivered but I haven't shipped it yet

I have two packages that I printed labels for and put in my mailbox for pickup. I just received an email from one of the buyers saying that the tracking shows it has been delivered. How can this be? Its still in my mailbox! When I looked at the tracking on the other package it shows the same thing. DELIVERED! Now that's fast shipping. But what is going on???

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@1spoiledog wrote:

The packages are gone. I checked the tracking again and its still the same. I have no idea where this information about the label came from. I was sleeping at 2:54 am. Where they got those times is unknown to me.  I didn't print the label until 9:30 or so.  The mailman didn't go until 2:30 or later.

Okay, it appears that your local PO doesn't have the correct time zone set on its scanning devices. Ordinarily I would expect to see the wrong times be 5 hours ahead of your Pennsylvania location (i.e. shown as Greenwich Mean Time without the correct 5-hour offset backup to Eastern time), although in your case it looks like the actual times are apparently 5 hours later (e.g. Shipping Label created at 9:54 a.m. rather than 4:54 a.m., and the carrier pickup with wrong Delivery scan at 2:44 p.m. rather than 9:44 a.m.). It looks like someone setting up the devices may have counted their timezone offset forward by 5 hours instead of backward by the same amount, as it should be.

Regardless of the times shown on those scans, remember that tracking follows the package; it does not guide it, so none of this mess will actually delay your package, and the original Estimated Dates of Delivery will still apply. I checked the USPS website again a few minutes ago and it's not showing anything newer yet, but assure your buyer(s) that it's just a scanner error, and the package should still arrive on time.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 17 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I have seen many cases where a package was marked delivered instead of picked up.  But, this is the first time I have seen it before being scanned.   There is a 800 number on the USPS web site.  They can pull up the correct tracking info but can't correct it on line.

I have had buyers get very yippy over this too.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

One hour drone delivery system 🤣

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

The tracking says it was delivered to my address! Try to explain this to a buyer. 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Has your mail person run yet?  I'd be waiting on them if not.  If so, that's bonkers.  Maybe a new carrier scanned them wrongly as delivered, panicked & just left them.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

The packages are gone. I checked the tracking again and its still the same. I have no idea where this information about the label came from. I was sleeping at 2:54 am. Where they got those times is unknown to me.  I didn't print the label until 9:30 or so.  The mailman didn't go until 2:30 or later. Below is what the tracking says. I deleted the last 3 numbers of the tracking.

Delivered by USPS in mailbox on Tue, Jan 9.

Shipped to buyer

Tue, Jan 9

Out for delivery

Delivered

Tue, Jan 9

Shipment history

1. Tue, Jan 9
    9:44am
    DELIVERED IN/AT MAILBOX
    BUTLER, PA 16001
  2. Tue, Jan 9
    5:08am
    PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT USPS AWAITS ITEM
    BUTLER, PA 16001
  3. Tue, Jan 9
    4:54am
    SHIPPING LBL CREATED USPS AWAITS ITEM
    BUTLER, PA 16001
  4. Tue, Jan 9
    2:54am
    Tracking number provided
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Oh, I thought you said they were still in your mailbox.  I've had packages scanned as delivered incorrectly when they were picked up.  I don't recall the time stamps, but they have always continued on their way with no problems & usually update (not always) when they get scanned again.   I quickly do damage control with my buyers.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

And then there's tracking that never saids "delivered" and states "currently onward to next destination"...my oldest one is from February 2023.

Seems like tracking is just some sort of an opportunity for some to make more money.

Is it really worth it?

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I have been in touch with the buyers but they want to know what is going on. Its hard to explain when you don't know. I asked them to wait a couple of days to see if it is really delivered. 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

"but they want to know"...did they contact you first? Never ever contact a buyer first on any problems going on with tracking. That's just opening a "can of worms".

Otherwise....if they question tracking...you know as much as them. 

Sounds like an eBay label problem.

I bring my packages in the USPS post office and get a receipt in my hand.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

It can happen at the post office too if they scan it incorrectly.  It isn't an ebay problem at all.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

But it was an eBay shipping label for this posting.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

But it was an eBay shipping label for this posting.

It's how the postal worker adjusts their scanner.   Our carrier manually sets it to a delivery setting or a pickup setting and mistakes are made occasionally.  

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I just like getting that receipt in my hand that shows it has been scanned by a clerk at the post office.

So many sellers just drop off their packages at the counter at my post office...while I wait in line. 

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

That’s fine if you want to do that. I’m not interested in driving 20 miles to stand in line every day.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply