cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop using calculated shipping.

I offer flat rate shipping over calculated because I have buyers who often buy multiple items, or stuff can take months to sell, and I don't want to waste a box.

I see a lot of sellers with high shipping prices:

I needed to ship a 18x18x18 20lb box to St Petersburg, FL

FedEx was only showing $21.70

BUT..the shipping cost shown to the buyer was $85.67!

FedEx discounts upwards of 70% when using it through eBay.

I don't mind making a few bucks on shipping to cover boxes, packing material, etc, but I don't use calculated shipping for this exact reason.

If you have any larger items and are using calculated shipping, this might be slowing your sales because of the off-putting shipping costs.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

If you want to charge buyers eBay discounted rates all you have to do is change your shipping preferences to offer carrier discounts to buyers.

If you do this, you need to make sure your box dimensions in your listing are accurate because cubic rates on small packages mean buyers may grossly underpay if your actual box is 18x18x18.

You can use calculated ship with carrier discounts and add a handling fee to cover your shipping materials.

Near impossible to accurately cover eBay fees on ship cost using this method, so all you can do is try and average it out and bump either the handling fee or item price.

https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Wow, I did not know that was an option. Thanks!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Be aware that the FedEx shipping rates you see through eBay shipping are estimates only. FedEx is infamous for unilateral surcharges. 

https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fedex/us-united-states/services/FXE_FXG_Surcharges_and_Fees_2024.p... 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@bargainsandbaubles 

Dimensionally, an 18x18x18 box is at least 35 lbs. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I would find it impossible to use flat rate shipping for an item in a 18x18x18 box without way overcharging buyers nearby in order to cover myself for far away zones.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I would find it impossible to use flat rate shipping for an item in a 18x18x18 box without way overcharging buyers nearby in order to cover myself for far away zones.

Yes, a item like this is when you definitely want to use calculated shipping or for sure every one you sell will be zone 7 or higher.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I would use USPS only with calculated shipping based on buyers' location in your listings.

FedEx and UPS have been known to come back on seller for a money grab for adjusted shipping costs.

There have been several posts about this with FedEx and UPS. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply