cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard Envelope "not too rigid"?

I tried using eBay's new standard envelope shipping for 3 postcards.  Met all the listed requirements of eBay as to size, value, etc.  One of the requirements is "not too rigid".  Arrived at the USPS station and the window clerk said the envelope was too rigid.  It was only 3 paper postcards and the envelope, not thick cardboard stiffing or anything.  The clerk refused to accept the letter, telling me it needed to be limp like a dollar bill.  Has eBay asked the USPS to inform its window clerks about the standard envelope program?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Standard Envelope "not too rigid"?

I doubt any communication has reached the window clerks. I had a few questions related to this early on and nobody at USPS had a clue about any of this. I only use standard envelopes, not the semi-rigid type and drop them off in the outgoing mail. There is nothing about them that would raise any concerns and the clerks don't need to see them. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

We are having this same problem trying to ship trading cards. Did you get anywhere with this issue?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Frankly, you need to just drop these in your own mailbox or the big blue boxes instead of letting someone at the counter scrutinize it. If it's not any more rigid than those credit cards you get in the mail, it's fine.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I know this is an old question, but I hope this reply helps others.

You can only print Ebay standard envelope labels from your home/office. You cannot get it at the post office.

If you talked to a window clerk for some kind of confirmation of what you have printed at home, I doubt they know anything about these commercial services.  As another writer suggests, you just want to drop it in a mailbox (blue box) without asking a window clerk for advice or approval.  The computers at the scanning/sorting stations know what to do with these, but human interaction only gums things up.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply