cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping

I can’t find a box to fit my it measuring 37x12x12. Buyer paid for USPS priority

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Shipping

Don't know for sure what your "it" is, I'm guessing the trombone?  Also not sure what you're looking for from this thread.  I don't think anybody here is going to send you a box.  If you're looking for tips, tape some smaller boxes together and/or go ask some local stores (grocery stores, home improvement stores, etc.) or neighbors if they have empty boxes they're trashing/recycling.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Shipping

I’ve already found a perfect answer from a much friendlier person. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Shipping

You can use any box for priority mail.   They don't have one that size.  You can make it up from more than one box.  Be sure it's strong.  Use strapping tape, the stuff with string in it.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Shipping

An answer to what?  I guess my main point is that this thread doesn't actually ask anything.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Shipping

Thank you very much. I wasn’t aware that taping boxes together was allowed

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Shipping

I apologize but you were very condescending in your response. I’ve gotten several responses and my need was correctly addressed. You addressed my need. This is only my second shipping and I wasn’t aware taping two boxes together was allowed.  It just doesn’t seem professional. 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Shipping

Hi @herfive-6 . Taping two boxes together is allowed, just keep this in mind:

A "franken-box" shipped UPS or FedEx will often be subject to significant surcharges. Good thing you're planning to ship USPS.

A franken-box may not have the structural integrity needed to ship the item in question. They can be more prone to crushing, etc. You may need to double-wall the box.

You might be better off going some place like Home Depot and asking if they have an appliance or fridge/washer box they're recycling then you can create a single custom box that's more sturdy than a franken-box.

A box that size is going to cost a bundle with USPS Priority. The rates are lower for Ground Advantage, however you cannot downgrade the service the buyer paid for. I'm mentioning it because in future you may want to offer Ground Adv as a more affordable shipping option to buyers.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Shipping

If you have a music store handy, they might have a discarded box they can offer.   Big tip---anytime you have an item that requires an unusual box always find or make one prior to listing.  That way you can also enter the correct dimensions/weight in your listing.  Shipping is hard.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Shipping

herfive-6

For future shipments, you can source boxes at Walmart and Uhaul where they sell un used boxes in many different sizes. Many might be over sized where you can cut them down vs. taping boxes together. Also you may want to look at different shipping methods (UPS / FED EX vs USPS Priority) on larger items as it can get rather expensive using Priority. I ship many different musical instruments and typically will only use USPS Priority when the item fits in a flat rate box. Also with shipping instruments of value, you may want to double box or use an over sized box with plenty of packing material for safety.

- Good Luck

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Shipping

"A box that size is going to cost a bundle with USPS Priority."

I can't even imagine the price tag this will have with USPS Priority.  Hope this all ends well for the OP.  Though, I don't know, man........

Posting ID
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Shipping

@herfive-6 

In case you are unaware, shipping a USPS Priority Mail package with dimensions of 37x12x12 will ship at a 33 pound rate (or the actual scale weight of the package if it is more than 33 pounds), and it will also incur two potential surcharges:  a $30 surcharge since it is over 2 cubic feet in volume, and an $18 surcharge since it has a dimension over 30 inches.  (I've not shipped something that big through USPS, so I don't know if both or only one of the surcharges apply ... I suspect both).

https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail.htm

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Shipping

Make sure you have a box before you list it.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Shipping

@orangehound wrote: ... shipping a USPS Priority Mail package with dimensions of 37x12x12 will ship at a 33 pound rate (or the actual scale weight of the package if it is more than 33 pounds), and it will also incur two potential surcharges:  a $30 surcharge since it is over 2 cubic feet in volume, and an $18 surcharge since it has a dimension over 30 inches.  (I've not shipped something that big through USPS, so I don't know if both or only one of the surcharges apply ... I suspect both).

https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail.htm

Both surcharges will apply, as well as the dimensional rate of 33 pounds.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Shipping

Oh ive learned that lesson. Thank you

Message 15 of 15
latest reply