cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Delays

I recently sold and shipped an item USPS  1 to 3 Business Day Priority. I paid shipping, as it was listed as free shipping to the buyer, and it shipped the next business day, following the sale. Delivery was originally scheduled for December 12th. Now it's showing a revised delivery date of December 18th. While this is out of my control, I'm worried about the buyer's viewpoint and how that may result in a INR or negative feedback. 

Question: Should I contact the buyer as a courtesy and preemptive action, notifying her that I'm aware of and monitoring the shipping delay, or just let sleeping dogs lie? I also have a subsequent sale for which I anticipate a similar scenario. Thanks for any insight and advice!

Belle
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Shipping Delays

Let the sleeping dogs lie, most people know every November and December there are major delays in the postal service. Its out of sellers control. I've had several buyers ask me why their item is late at which point I just explain about December mail backlogs. Its the same nonsense every year.  I just think at this stage by you alerting the buyer of a delay you'd be asking for trouble like buyer wanting a refund. Then they get the item and you lost the item and the money. So wait to see if they say anything then act at that point. On INR I do believe ebay would remove any neg when tracking shows delivered.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Shipping Delays

Let the sleeping dogs lie, most people know every November and December there are major delays in the postal service. Its out of sellers control. I've had several buyers ask me why their item is late at which point I just explain about December mail backlogs. Its the same nonsense every year.  I just think at this stage by you alerting the buyer of a delay you'd be asking for trouble like buyer wanting a refund. Then they get the item and you lost the item and the money. So wait to see if they say anything then act at that point. On INR I do believe ebay would remove any neg when tracking shows delivered.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Shipping Delays

My advise to you is never ever contact a buyer unless they contact you first.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Shipping Delays

I would think they'd understand. I always have qualms about contacting a buyer just for the reasons you cited. Thank you!

Belle
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Shipping Delays

I know. I always prefer a zero communication transaction. I'm actually more worried about the second buyer. She's also a seller, with a lot of years and transactions both as a seller and a buyer. She contacted me initially, wanting me to accept a seriously blow-ball offer. I almost blocked her, but instead, politely responded that I had already set my automatic offer acceptance at the absolute lowest I could and still break even. She eventually made an offer that was accepted. She never offers free shipping, so I'm not sure she appreciates how much that was. The thought that I could be out the entire sale, including shipping, plus my items doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility with her. 

Belle
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Shipping Delays

RE:  Question: Should I contact the buyer as a courtesy and preemptive action, notifying her that I'm aware of and monitoring the shipping delay,

As a courtesy, I would contact the buyer with an update on their delivery status.  As a seller, doing this shows concern.  In fact,  I would also copy nd paste the revised delivery date in the email.

To not do anything could lead to an open case, which you want to avoid.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Shipping Delays

Definitely contact the buyer.  I have around fifty shipments stuck - I explained the postal delays to all effected.  I had some very nice compliments from the buyers - they greatly appreciated my messages.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Shipping Delays

In the past, I would have done that without hesitation. When I first became a member of eBay, communication was viewed as positive, and as one of the traits of a good seller.  However, eBay has changed so much since that time, and it now seems as though unnecessarily contacting a buyer is opening a can of worms. I don't know exactly why that is, except perhaps for the huge expansion of eBay, and the resulting increase in dishonesty and fraud on both sides, combined with a growing preference for a strictly business/impersonal approach to e-commerce, in general.

I  am loathe to start something when right now, there is no communication from the buyer to which I need to respond. Surely, they are keeping up with the tracking, and can see what's going on. The package was shipped and left the post office where I am within 1 business day of the sale. After that, I don't have any control over the mail system.

Belle
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Shipping Delays

@southernfriedbelle wrote:

I recently sold and shipped an item USPS  1 to 3 Business Day Priority. I paid shipping, as it was listed as free shipping to the buyer, and it shipped the next business day, following the sale. Delivery was originally scheduled for December 12th. Now it's showing a revised delivery date of December 18th. While this is out of my control, I'm worried about the buyer's viewpoint and how that may result in a INR or negative feedback. 

Question: Should I contact the buyer as a courtesy and preemptive action, notifying her that I'm aware of and monitoring the shipping delay, or just let sleeping dogs lie? I also have a subsequent sale for which I anticipate a similar scenario. Thanks for any insight and advice!

No, don't poke the bear. Go to the top of this page under seller news- announcements, and read the 3rd story on shipping delays and INR cases. Everyone is experiencing the same thing but if your buyer opens an INR case it will actually buy you more time. Your packages will turn up, just much later then initially expected. Because everyone is in the same boat, I'm finding buyer's actually quite understanding. Always keep in mind the posts you see on this board are extremes and not the majority. You are just being a conscientious seller and good on you for that. Best of luck to you....

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Shipping Delays

Thank you. I couldn't find the post you referenced. Can you post a link? Thanks so much!

Belle
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Shipping Delays

@southernfriedbelle wrote:

Thank you. I couldn't find the post you referenced. Can you post a link? Thanks so much!

I would but I don't know how. It's at the top of this very page. Look directly below The eBay Community....

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Shipping Delays

I found the link. Thanks again!

Belle
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Shipping Delays

I tried the "let sleeping dogs lie" approach.  It resulted in an INR case opened against me, I responded that I had already known of the delay, filed a missing mail report several days prior, etc.  This was a $4 first class item.  The buyer responded with a thanks for the update and said they were just making sure I was aware of it and were fine with waiting.  The very first communication that buyer had with me outside of the initial purchase was not simply a message, but an INR case opened.  IMHO, many buyers do not think to simply contact the seller, they just open a case, they don't know any better maybe?  Either way, I now am contacting buyers with a courtesy reminder that I am aware their item hasn't arrived, and am confident it will arrive eventually, with some personalized detail to hopefully lighten the mood and extend their patience.  I am having items (even priority mail) take 3-4 weeks to arrive now.   I am only contacting them if the ship date is 10-14 days old and the package isn't moving.  I have one package that never got the acceptance scanned in properly, which is irking, so I am hoping it finally shows up somewhere sometime :-/.   I have been selling on eBay for years, and NEVER have I had the volume of shipping issues that I have had this year.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Shipping Delays

Just curious but how does someone who demands and is granted a refund get to legally keep the item? That’s theft in my opinion. I have four sales that are delayed and 3 purchases that are delayed so I’m just keeping my fingers crossed that the dam will break soon and everything will be delivered in the next week or so. I’m not a big seller and this is the first time I’ve ever had an issue with shipping delays. If I had known this was going to happen I definitely would have postponed all my eBay activities until after the holidays. Too much stress watching tracking numbers. 

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Shipping Delays

I always proactively communicate with buyers. Never had an issue so far.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply