cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipment in transit but buyer open claim and get refund from Ebay

I am a seller from Sweden that have encountered the following issue when shipping an item to a client in the USA. On the 14th December I sold the item which has a value of 750 USD + 25 USD shipping. I shipped it on the 15th December. Due to holiday seasons and also the delays caused by COVID the shipment was slower than normal as expected. But on December 27th I got the first update that the shipment reached ISC in Chigaco. On January 12th I got the update that the shipment had been processed through Chicago and departed in transit to end customer. 

On January 11th the customer raised a claim for "item not received", I contacted the customer directly and  told him about the delay and kept him informed as the new tracking events become available. On the 16th January USPS updated that the item is "In Transit, Arriving Late", with the message "Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility."

Despite getting the update that the shipment is still on the way the customer choose to involve ebay on the case January 17th. Ebay responded back the same day with a decision in the buyers favor. Meaning the customer was fully refunded on the 750 + shipping and tax, while I was charged the amount from ebay to pay back.

Does anyone have a suggestion what I can do? If the shipment is delivered to the customer I will lose both my shipped item as well as my money that ebay already charged me. I cannot claim the shipment as lost as its clearly on the way and post service told me it will be delivered soon.

How can ebay just close the case in the buyers favour when the shipment is delayed but still in transit? USPS even have a notice on their webpage saying the following: "ALERT: USPS IS EXPERIENCING UNPRECEDENTED VOLUME INCREASES AND LIMITED EMPLOYEE AVAILABILITY DUE TO THE IMPACTS OF COVID-19. WE APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE."

What can I do, please help!

Regards

T

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Shipment in transit but buyer open claim and get refund from Ebay

If the package is now in the hands of the USPS, you can try to get them to intercept the package here: https://www.usps.com/search/results.htm?keyword=intercept%20a%20package&PNO=1&Nrpp=&navFolder=&navSt...

This service costs $15.00 if they can successfully intercept it. I'm not sure how it would get returned to Sweden, but for that amount of money, it's worth a try.

Otherwise, if it is delivered, you can try to reason with the buyer and try to work out a way for him to repay you.

If he won't repay, you can try filing a mail fraud case on the USPS website and file a police report in his city. Keep records of all reports and other information to use in an eBay appeal.

You can go to this page and read up on how to appeal an INR case and try contacting eBay using the links at the bottom. https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/appealing-decision-seller?id=4369

Thank you very much for your help! Unfortunately it seems that intercept service is only possible for US domestic shipments, I have tried using my international (Swedish) shipping number and it cant be used to intercept. I suppose I can only sit and wait for the package to reach my buyer and take it from there.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Orders $750 and up require a signature. I hope you requested this. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Being that ebay forced the refund you can appeal this decision within 30 days with new information. Your best bet is to wait until the package gets a delivered scan then contact ebay and start the appeal. The new information you have would be the tracking showing that the item has been delivered. At this point ebay should overturn the refund and reimburse you.

There is also a good chance that your buyer will contact you once the item is delivered and offer to repay for their purchase. Most people are honest.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply