cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Books

I would like to sell books with free shipping. I see that  some sellers offer  books for under $4.00 with free shipping to places such as Albania and Afghanistan. It doesn't seem possible to make any profit.

What am I missing here?

Thank you for any clarification,

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Selling Books

Show us some examples. We can not answer blind questions.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@bbsbazaar wrote:

I would like to sell books with free shipping. I see that  some sellers offer  books for under $4.00 with free shipping to places such as Albania and Afghanistan. It doesn't seem possible to make any profit.

What am I missing here?

Thank you for any clarification,

The huge booksellers consistently undersell everyone else as they not only get a great many books for almost nothing (purchasing literally by the truckload), but have lower commercial plus rates from the USPS - they make their money in huge volume.  The rest are just losing money. I used to sell books, but it's just a losing game now unless one has rare volumes or are selling series and the like.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thank you. That is what I thought. To bad, I have a lot of books that people would enjoy. If I am going to give them away, I will take them to the Library & Senior Center and donate them.

Also Half Price books will buy some of them and since there is a local store nearby, I do not have to pay for any shipping.

Thank you again for your answer.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@bbsbazaar 

Every week, the major retail booksellers distribute "pull-sheets" to their lead employees or department managers, who then remove all of the titles on those sheets (by ISBN), to be returned to the distributor, who then returns them to the publisher.  The retailer receives a percentage of the original cost which was paid to the distributor or the publisher.

The publisher re-sells these book returns to a book warehouser, who then slaps a new ISBN number on either the front or rear of the book; and many of these "new" books are then re-shipped back to the original retailer, who then displays them on their "bargain" shelves.  

After a few months, new "pull-sheets" are published, and those ISBN numbers are returned to the book warehouser, who then fills multiple boxes with miscellaneous returned titles, and builds individual skids filled with boxes of books to a certain height, and then wraps sheets of plastic around the individual skids.

These skids are auctioned off as "blinds" to "thrift" type booksellers, who may have spent only pennies per individual book -- thus permitting the "thrift" type bookseller to earn a small profit on each book, even with "free" shipping.

It's nearly impossible to compete with the "thrift" type bookseller insofar as contemporary book titles are concerned -- so it's far easier to attempt to sell book editions which are long out of print (meaning pre-1985).

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for this very valuable information. It appears that it is all about volume. That definitely is not me.

I have done some more research and I have discovered that only a handful of sellers offer shipping to the places I mentioned in my original message. Most of the sellers either charge 3 or 4 dollars shipping or limit shipping to the U.S. when they offer free shipping on books in the 4 to 5 dollar range.

Thanks again for your reply.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Hello richard1rst:

Thank you for your reply. I did some more research at your suggestion, and I have discovered that only a handful of sellers offer shipping to the places I mentioned in my original message. Most of the sellers either charge 3 or 4 dollars shipping or limit shipping to the U.S. when they offer free shipping on books in the 4 to 5 dollar range.

I am including a couple that I found that offer free shipping to places like Albania and Afghanistan:

Bluevasebooks Item# 114866005581  $4.25 Free Shipping

Discoverbooks Item# 302493802434 $4.49 Free Shipping

Gently.Loved.Books Item # 393812847694 Free Shipping

I guess they rely either on volume sales or are using these as a loss leader to build their customer base.

I will most likely donate the less valuable books that I have to the local Senior Center or Library.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@bbsbazaar wrote:

Hello richard1rst:

Thank you for your reply. I did some more research at your suggestion, and I have discovered that only a handful of sellers offer shipping to the places I mentioned in my original message. Most of the sellers either charge 3 or 4 dollars shipping or limit shipping to the U.S. when they offer free shipping on books in the 4 to 5 dollar range.

I am including a couple that I found that offer free shipping to places like Albania and Afghanistan:

Bluevasebooks Item# 114866005581  $4.25 Free Shipping

Discoverbooks Item# 302493802434 $4.49 Free Shipping

Gently.Loved.Books Item # 393812847694 Free Shipping

I guess they rely either on volume sales or are using these as a loss leader to build their customer base.

I will most likely donate the less valuable books that I have to the local Senior Center or Library.

Yeah, pick through what you have and see if there's something that might sell and donate the rest. Don't let anyone tell you that 'nobody reads paper books anymore' they do, believe me - not everyone likes eBooks.  I do still sell books, though I can never predict when someone will purchase one, mostly old foundational computer texts for advanced computing that are hard to find, and advanced applied mathematics books - they're handbooks that don't change much. I used to do well selling entire novel series, but I don't have those anymore - I'd read them all, lot them up and sell them here, but a lot of this stuff is issued on Kindle now, and except for my research job, where most of the references I use are hard copy, I much prefer Kindle for my plain old reading so don't tend to collect up the shoals of books that used to be all over the house.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thanks again!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply